My wife is against me CCing. What do I do?

This is a discussion on My wife is against me CCing. What do I do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Re-claim your independence/respect/authority(I mean don't be controlled and dominated by authoriy). Sounds like much has ben sarificed for the "greater good". Glad you are makin ...

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: My wife is against me CCing. What do I do?

Re-claim your independence/respect/authority(I mean don't be controlled and dominated by authoriy). Sounds like much has ben sarificed for the "greater good". Glad you are makin headway.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

2. Remove Ads

Oh great goodness thankyou Pax

Pax,

Thank you and I bow to you. In the past weeks I have purely devoured your website and without it I would have felt lost, truly lost, in my quest to "arm myself" with knowledge regarding the topic of arming myself. That you approved of my post means a greater deal to me than you could ever know.

I am still on my quest to acquire my first piece, close to closing on that end, and feeling comfortable with my own ability to evaluate and judge 1) my requirements in choosing a gun and 2) my abilities in using a gun are owed in large part to you. Yes, I have a dear bf who has been giving me a lot of good information and guidance, but of course his opinions and guidance are informed by different needs and considerations in a lot of cases than my choices would be and are. He is a terrific and wonderful and available resource, but your website really gave me the kick I needed to feel able to take action and go out there and start shooting.

Men -- send your wives to Pax. In whatever mode/method her training is available to you guys. She's the real deal. I know you know this already but good God, men, go!

Her advice is clear, concise (like mine is not), direct, without judgement, actionable, of by and for a woman, easily accessible, repeatable and rereadable, and does not force a woman to face some of the "brutal reality research" kind of resources that I am perhaps going to be finding myself finding and supplying to you guys.

Finding comfortable, understandable, understanding, informative resources will, once your wife accepts your family-defense ideology, be of unending value to her in her own self-education process. Not all women, in fact I might argue most women, will not need the primer of brutality statistics ad nauseam that would inform her as to why she might want the home defended in your way rather than hers. Those can be important resources, but so.... disturbingly real and nightmare inducing that leaving them well enough alone if she doesn't ask for it will probably be a welcome option to both of you.

I won't go into the research points tonight (I have a date!), but for those who asked, a 1993 Yale Law Review article discusses in depth and with double-R rated for violent imagery (only where required for the legal impacts on women to be made properly) the topic of the state of affairs in America as regards to "self defense protections" and rights to bear arms for battered women, as it has held out in the courts. This article may, being specific to battered women, not enlighten you about your specific issues and concerns as regards your wife. But it will most likely cause you to rethink gender issues as regards Arms in America and female strategies and tactics as it relates to arms in general. The title of the article is "Do Battered Women Have a Right To Bear Arms?", and it's available at the link below as a web archive. It will take a long time to load and a very long time to read. It puts these issues into stark bald reality for you in a completely un-ignorable way.

Do Battered Women Have a Right to Bear Arms?

merischino

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    This is one of the biggest decisions a husband and wife make concerning their safety need to decide what's best for their family.I tend to agree with the others
    it sounds like ccw was dropped on his wife with little discussion and she took the
    natural reflex action no and took it higher with lots of emotion.The next time her
    car breakdowns in the bad section of town.

The Gun Crank Diaries

A brief note. The dear bf just gave me this guy, John Connor at American Handgunner, to get familiar with.

This is the link to his column http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...te=1&p=1500475.

Here, in my humble opinion, is a man who uses the word "sheeple" correctly. And knows why, with reference to a woman, thinking that way about her behaviors may not be "fair use" of the term.

Read and enjoy.

merischino

duh... the link to his column:

GunCrank Diaries July/Aug 2005

fun fact about a female gun experience - mine

one last thought before I hit the sack.

male instruction seems to regularly involve some mention about the fact that when you (men?) pick up a gun, you will experience a physical reaction to that act the first few times, and likely will also experience that fact when doing it in an actual self-defense situation.

me = the specific female this pertains to. Dunno if its true for others.

I experience a physical, visceral, adrenaline state of emergency when I pick up the thought of a gun and it is maintained as an actual physical response in my body for as long as that thought remains in my head. I hope to grow out of this. If I don't, I'm ready to learn to live with this. It will be a forcible adaptation that will not be pleasant for me.

I hope you are able after reading my prior posts to recognize me as "merischino not equal to sheeple" or some such identification, however you may feel about the opinions and perspectives I have shared in this forum.

However you feel about me, my experience of sweaty palms as a constant state of affairs for the last 3-4 weeks having never in my life experienced sweaty palms before is a real actual fact that I have to live with. It does and will absolutely have to inform me about what, if and when I choose to pick up a gun and how I will have to train myself to be able to use it when I have to pick up a gun. GRIP on a gun is an issue. Grip on my physical and mental state while considering guns is every bit as much of a real actual issue, for me.

There you have it. Whether I am actually "fearful" while considering guns (I am not), my body says it's so, and I have to somehow become familiar with this fact.

merischino

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Links