Non Lethal Rounds? - Page 3

Non Lethal Rounds?

This is a discussion on Non Lethal Rounds? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TX-JB I thought less lethal rounds were .22's and .25's... However, that is true only if you do not hit in the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    GM
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I thought less lethal rounds were .22's and .25's...
    However, that is true only if you do not hit in the eye
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    If that's a better way, or a way to stop bad guys without killing them...why doesnt LE use them?

Because it's not effective in stopping a truly determined lethal threat (or perps on meth, PCP, etc).
    Exactly.

The point of the exercise is the goal: to actually stop the threat. Not to just anger it, motivate it, temporarily shove it to the ground only to watch it rise up and consume you.

The point is to terminate it, so the threat no longer exists.

I'm all for doing so without the "wolf" dying. That's fine, if that's how it ends up. But frankly, if I waste so much time skipping and meandering slowly up the force continuum ladder until I reach the point that actually achieves the stopping of the deadly threat, then I will not have realized the irrevocable waste of time until it's too late, until it has reached the point of costing me my life or the lives of my loved ones.

I will terminate the threat as expeditiously and effectively as I am able, thank you very much. I won't use force until it's absolutely required, but when I am required to use it then I want it to be utterly effective and final in terms of stopping the threat against me and mine. Less-than-effective rounds won't do that reliably well.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    This is DEFENSE OF YOUR LIFE - why should you want to do less?
    Exactly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The guy must be talking about FMJ rounds a apposed to JHP rounds.

A listener called in and mentioned that he CC'd and that the first two rounds he has loaded are non lethal, saying that he wanted to avoid the hassle of killing someone if possible
    That one gets a vote of "Just Goofy" unless it's a .380 or below.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    I use them, and get along fine. I carry a Taurus 9 shot 22 rev. Just use CCI shot shells, the ones with the blue plastic cap, and they shoot BBs.

Last summer I got attacked by 3 grasshoppers and it put them down with no problem what so ever, I think, or did I step on them, can't remember now.

Think of the other benefits, when the BG takes your gun from you, there will be a less likely chance of him killing you with it now. Many benefits, yes it will be fine.

Z

But the grasshoppers are still dead so in fact you did use lethal force.
    NRA Member
    Glock 19,26
    S&W 340PD

Quote Originally Posted by CrackpotBob View Post
    I was listening to a local radio talk show and the subject of Washington legislature's attempt at an "assault weapon ban" came up. A listener called in and mentioned that he CC'd and that the first two rounds he has loaded are non lethal, saying that he wanted to avoid the hassle of killing someone if possible. My thought was that he's setting himself up to be a potential victim if he is in a life threatening situation and his first rounds don't take out the BG. What are your thoughts? Do you carry non lethal rounds? If so, why?
    The caller had no idea of what he was talking about.

ANYTHING which has the slightest chance of stopping a physical attack has at least the possibility of causing death, including empty handed self-defense techniques. ANYTHING you shoot out of a firearm has a reasonable chance of killing someone.

A firearm is deadly force. If deadly force is not called for, a firearm is not called for.

If I have to unholster and use it...you better believe its because Im lookin to give the bad guy a beauty mark to remember me by!
    Regards,
    Shane Stagg
    Coopersburg, PA
    NRA Lifetime Member
    USCCA Member
    NAFC Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by gvaldeg1 View Post
    I love this answer too.

The guy who posed the question calls himself "Crackpot Bob". If he keeps asking questions like that in gun forums people will believe that he deserves the name.
    I posed the question to see if anyone else out there would be stupid enough to do as the caller of the radio show said he did. I carry Corbon and Federal JHP's in my pistols because I want to eliminate the threat, not merely injure the BG. Don't let the name fool you gvaldeg1, it's just a name.

What the hell is a "non-lethal round"? He needs a moderate to a severe beating by a bad person; hopefully by one who does not take and use his gun against him after those first two non-lethal shots. This also means that he should never use hollow points in his .25s or .22s. To be non-lethal with a little gun, one must make sure to only shoot once, then see and evaluate the results, and then maybe shoot once again, but not pull the trigger and shoot ten hollow-point rounds quick, because that might really hurt the bad person worse than you have to. I mean, I don't want to abuse them with my Ruger Mark III. I guess that I ought to get rid of all of my hollowpoints, especially those Horny Daddies and Cor-Bons.

Mic
    No, no, no... you all have it wrong, a non lethal round is the one Barney keeps in his pocket
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I thought a less than lethal round was a miss?

Michael
    Agreed. If your shots are less lethal, your doing it wrong...

OK, so poor place for a joke, and no I'm not saying that everyone should "shoot to kill", but if we are able to hit COM, or more preferably CNS in order to stop the threat, death is quite likely.

As others have stated, Less lethal is for LEO's who are trained and have LETHAL backup in case it is needed.

-Soular
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. -C. S. Lewis

Apparantly they do exist and are available for civilian purchase. I was going to call BS, but...

Firequest International, Inc. [ Firequest.com ]

IMO worthless and rediculous, no way they will cycle a semi, but they do exist.

hopefully if I have to shoot, all my rounds will be non-lethal. They are speer gold dot hollowpoints but the purpose is to stop the threat. The BG's carma will have to determine if he lives or dies.

As to the OP's original post. No I would never load my firearm with non-lethal. I have feet, hands, OC, and a flashlight for all that stuff. If all that non-lethal technology doesn't get me out of dodge or stop the attack, the next thing I pull out hopefully will.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by CrackpotBob View Post
    I was listening to a local radio talk show and the subject of Washington legislature's attempt at an "assault weapon ban" came up. A listener called in and mentioned that he CC'd and that the first two rounds he has loaded are non lethal, saying that he wanted to avoid the hassle of killing someone if possible. My thought was that he's setting himself up to be a potential victim if he is in a life threatening situation and his first rounds don't take out the BG. What are your thoughts? Do you carry non lethal rounds? If so, why?

I have nothing nice to say, and while that hasn't stopped me from saying anything before...I'll hole my words at this time.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Apparantly they do exist and are available for civilian purchase. I was going to call BS, but...

Firequest International, Inc. [ Firequest.com ]

IMO worthless and rediculous, no way they will cycle a semi, but they do exist.
    My favorite quote from that link

When a less lethal shell is used as the first round, knowledgeable courts of law and boards recognize this type of round as a legitimate attempt to defend without the intent of causing lethal injury, therefore reducing your risk of a lawsuit.
    I'm glad I live in a state that protects me from civil lawsuits. (Assuming I was justified.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links