I Would Appreciate If EVERY DC'er Would Read...About The Basics! - Page 2

I Would Appreciate If EVERY DC'er Would Read...About The Basics!

This is a discussion on I Would Appreciate If EVERY DC'er Would Read...About The Basics! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rottkeeper Jeez RG you've got a few strays there. Nice group... Sheesh, you'd think that after almost 30 years I'd be able ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Jeez RG you've got a few strays there.

Nice group...
    Sheesh, you'd think that after almost 30 years I'd be able to do better at 21 feet
    I guess I'll keep trying
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I would appreciate it if folks would not talk on the cell phone or text while driving, or if they would actually use the directionals when changing lanes, or just simply pay attention to what the heck they are doing, but you know what, that seems to be asking a lot from most people.

As long as your following safe gun handling skills I don't really care how you aim, or hold your gun, or stand or anything else.

Counting back it has been 29 years since I shot in my first competition. I probably fall somewhere in the middle of the members on this forum as far as years handling firearms. There are times where stuff I do would probably make some folks ask what the heck is that guy doing. However, normally it is no where near anyone in a public arena, but that doesn't mean that I am not safe.

If they aren't putting anyone else, or themselves in danger, let it be. If you can give some guidance without hurting their feelings fine, other than that, just let it go.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    If they aren't putting anyone else, or themselves in danger, let it be. If you can give some guidance without hurting their feelings fine, other than that, just let it go.
    Pretty much sums it up, IMO. I learned firearm handling and safety when I was about eight. At 22, while I may be safe, I know for a fact my posture, grip, breathing, etc could be improved on. I don't think I'll ever stop learning new things.

What's a "DC'er?"

Location? Helps to put that in your avatar, btw.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    What's a "DC'er?"

Location? Helps to put that in your avatar, btw.
    I'm assuming (uh-oh) that it is a DefensiveCarry-er.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Well, I hate going to the indoor ranges here..... especially when my 12 and 10 yr old grandkids start telling people.. "you know that is not safe, don't you".
    When they know more than a lot of adults, well.... enough said.

WOW! Popcorn anyone?
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

kpw
    I learned a long time ago, not to make assumptions about people at the range. It started with an oldtimer and his beat up 1911...cost me a 20 and a bit of humiliation. Expensive to a 20 year old.
    Results are what matter most. If someone asks for help, I'll give it. Other than that, I mind my own business unless they are being unsafe. That goes for a lot more than just shooting.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Safety and then skill
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Question is: whose basics? I have been through GunSite, 30 years in Corps, and several "Firearm Course" after that. All of them taught a different school of "basics" and they all claimed that they were the only ones doing it right. I practice every day with a 317 in .22lr and once a week with my carry 642 and 640. I find that all of the safety training was pretty much alike and has stuck, but the techniques have left long ago and I am shooting more and more closeup and with a modified "pointing over the sights" technique. Since it is a revolver I don't get too hung up in all of the "proper grip" and "limp wristing" school.

Bottomline is that the older I get the more I gravitate toward good trigger control and shoot lot's of times school of shooting. All of the fancy postures , rigs and fancy tricks just don't look all that convincing anymore.

(BTW I get lots of holes in the black center part of the target too!)
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Administrator
    I'd appreciate it if every DC'r would send me 10 bucks. Then I'd be rich.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    I learned a long time ago, not to make assumptions about people at the range. It started with an oldtimer and his beat up 1911...cost me a 20 and a bit of humiliation. Expensive to a 20 year old.
    Results are what matter most. If someone asks for help, I'll give it. Other than that, I mind my own business unless they are being unsafe. That goes for a lot more than just shooting.
    +1 and now I'm not that far from being one of those 'old timers'.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Question is: whose basics? I have been through GunSite, 30 years in Corps, and several "Firearm Course" after that. All of them taught a different school of "basics" and they all claimed that they were the only ones doing it right. I practice every day with a 317 in .22lr and once a week with my carry 642 and 640. I find that all of the safety training was pretty much alike and has stuck, but the techniques have left long ago and I am shooting more and more closeup and with a modified "pointing over the sights" technique. Since it is a revolver I don't get too hung up in all of the "proper grip" and "limp wristing" school.

Bottomline is that the older I get the more I gravitate toward good trigger control and shoot lot's of times school of shooting. All of the fancy postures , rigs and fancy tricks just don't look all that convincing anymore.

(BTW I get lots of holes in the black center part of the target too!)
    Most of what I was think went right here. Well said. One individuals right is another individuals "Your wrong".
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd appreciate it if every DC'r would send me 10 bucks. Then I'd be rich.
    Check's in the mail
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links