I Would Appreciate If EVERY DC'er Would Read...About The Basics!

This is a discussion on I Would Appreciate If EVERY DC'er Would Read...About The Basics! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On the contrary, I find the local indoor ranges scary. Not only can any yahoo with a gun walk in (or rent one if they've ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Would Appreciate If EVERY DC'er Would Read...About The Basics!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    On the contrary, I find the local indoor ranges scary. Not only can any yahoo with a gun walk in (or rent one if they've never shot one) but there is no air-conditioning (Which turns a FL indoor range into a sweatbox) and no ventilation. Until someone yells, "Ohmygod! I shot myself!" no one pays any attention to who's inside shooting.

The "public" range up the road is so safety conscious that it almost reaches an annoying level. Every gun on every person is checked before shooting is allowed, and the firing line is tightly controled. But, I don't have to worry about the guy down the line plugging me.

As to shooting basics, that's a vague term. Just because someone doesn't use the "perfect" stance or hold doesn't mean it's wrong; it's just different. That's a bit like saying the right-hander who bats lefty is using the wrong basics, but the ball still clears the fence.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

As to shooting basics, that's a vague term. Just because someone doesn't use the "perfect" stance or hold doesn't mean it's wrong; it's just different. That's a bit like saying the right-hander who bats lefty is using the wrong basics, but the ball still clears the fence.
    Yup. One primary example of that is that the National Womens Champion Precision Shooter is right handed, shoots right handed but is left eye dominant. When I teach, I make sure the kids understand eye dominance, proper sight alignment, proper stance, proper this, proper that ad nauseum. But I stress it's proper but might not be appropriate for a particular individual. At least in the world of precision shooting, it's how close you come to 300 that counts, not form. Form helps, but you have to develop a technique with which you are comfortable.

In the world of the 4-H Shooting Sports Program, beginning shooters like to see holes "magically" appear in the target. Refining technique comes after the confidence of seeing the holes appear.

For a SD shooter, form always follows function. Form may be part of the function, but will vary from shooter to shooter.

The above is my opinion, void where prohibited, your mileage may vary.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    Best way to correct the things you see is to talk to those that are doing them.
    I generally do so if they are doing so unsafely or when asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophyhunter View Post
    If you have been carrying your weapon for awhile and, dont know the basics Learn them. your weapon should be an exstension of your arm its part of you once learned, never forgotten if you should ever forget train, train and, Then train some more
    This is part of my point...training and more training...far to many do so WAY improperly.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    What's a "DC'er?"

Location? Helps to put that in your avatar, btw.
    A "A deffensive carrier"...where I live should not matter as to my knowledge or lack therof...Michigan if you must know

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    On the contrary, I find the local indoor ranges scary. Not only can any yahoo with a gun walk in (or rent one if they've never shot one) but there is no air-conditioning (Which turns a FL indoor range into a sweatbox) and no ventilation. Until someone yells, "Ohmygod! I shot myself!" no one pays any attention to who's inside shooting.

I am very fortunate to have a great range near by (a few in fact), very safe, climate controlled year round and that is a wonderfull thing when in Michigan and we have temps ranging from -5 to 105 with high humidity year round (which makes the cold colder and the hot hotter).

As to the basics (which many here have commented on above)- I am talking about... REALLY, I need to explain this? Those of you who know them, then good for you...those who do not, well time to learn!

I don't at all feel that I am preaching to the choir. For two good reasons 1) I am in no way in a position of preaching (I too have much to learn) and 2) I have seen many comments from the "choir' on here...and there is much to learn by all of us (some more than others).

I did not start this thread as a slight toward anyone, but a reminder to all.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I eat basics for breakfast.

I do not pretend to be some sort of highly trained well-oiled shooting machine. I am however, pretty sure you do not want me shooting at you. Countless paper plates had to learn that lesson the hard way...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I eat basics for breakfast.

I do not pretend to be some sort of highly trained well-oiled shooting machine. I am however, pretty sure you do not want me shooting at you. Countless paper plates had to learn that lesson the hard way...
    Thanks for the smile!

VIP Member
    I no longer have to use a public range......I have my own! I do however on occasion allow newbies to shooting to use it......but they are supervised by someone who can shoot safely.

There probably are some here that can use some tips & tricks or even basic instruction.....There are some other here though that qualify as more than just novices. There are even a few that do it for a living.

I don't shoot as a profession, but shooting is my hobby & passion. As such I'm always learning & practicing. While I do shoot mostly by myself, I also get professional instruction from time to time. Techniques advance & I'm not afraid to change as I find something that works better for me.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Can you define "improperly"?
    I must be doing something very wrong?
    I tried to get all 5 rounds through the same hole and this was the best I could do.

Hey! Where did the other three rounds go..

JK, Good shooting. Glad you're on our side..

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Been shooting pistols / handguns for over 40 years. many schools, many trainers, many thoughtful suggestions. MANY good techniques over the last ten years but the basics are still the same as 40 years ago. Sight control, Breath control, Trigger control then style, tactics and technique. If you can't shoot accurately, all the rest realy doesn't help - you will need luck.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I can agree with this. I'm left handed, left eye dominant but shoot better right handed. I almost decided to "retrain" and shoot left handed but after I did a comparison with 100+ rounds decided to do what feels right and go right handed.

To the OP, have you taken classes or did you learn your own technique? I ask because I'm new to the handgun game and will take all the advice I can get. I've shot rifles extensively and as far as I can see the basics carry over pretty well.

[QUOTE=nosights;1476734
    A "A deffensive carrier"...where I live should not matter as to my knowledge or lack therof...Michigan if you must know
    [/QUOTE]

"DCer" is not a term I've seen used here.

I thought you might mean 'the people of the District of Columbia"

Thanks for clarifying it.

However, gun laws vary so much state to state that it's often helpful to make that known when posting. Avatars make that convenient.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare;1477472[B
    ]"DCer" is not a term I've seen used here[/B].

I thought you might mean 'the people of the District of Columbia"

Thanks for clarifying it.

However, gun laws vary so much state to state that it's often helpful to make that known when posting. Avatars make that convenient.
    Your right...I should have said "those who carry a gun".

Quote Originally Posted by RunawayGun View Post
    I can agree with this. I'm left handed, left eye dominant but shoot better right handed. I almost decided to "retrain" and shoot left handed but after I did a comparison with 100+ rounds decided to do what feels right and go right handed.

To the OP, have you taken classes or did you learn your own technique? I ask because I'm new to the handgun game and will take all the advice I can get. I've shot rifles extensively and as far as I can see the basics carry over pretty well.
    I have taken classes and watched those who are great at it. You only get better by learning from those who are better than you. There is plenty of great footage online...and bad as well, learn from the pros! I am not the best shooter there is (by a long shot) but I do know my way around a handgun and enjoy teaching others how to better themselves in this and other departments.

It's been my experience in 40 + years that, no matter how good you think you are, there's always someone better.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    It's been my experience in 40 + years that, no matter how good you think you are, there's always someone better.
    +1

In every sport, activity or at most anything this too has been my experience.

There is always someone bigger/better/faster as there is always someone smaller/suckier/slower.

What is key is to be honest and straight with yourself as related to your real and actual skill level, putting aside ego and emotion, as toward where you want to be or per the OPs intent...Need to be functionally as at a minimum.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I learned everything I know about shooting a pistol from watching John Woo movies. :)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links