I Would Appreciate If EVERY DC'er Would Read...About The Basics!

This is a discussion on I Would Appreciate If EVERY DC'er Would Read...About The Basics! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After countless trips to the range and years of shooting and helping others shoot hand guns properly, I have learned that the vast majority of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Would Appreciate If EVERY DC'er Would Read...About The Basics!

After countless trips to the range and years of shooting and helping others shoot hand guns properly, I have learned that the vast majority of those who own and shoot a handgun (a number of which carry), do so improperly.

Do you know grip, stance, trigger control, sight picture...? And know how to do so properly?

I am not talking about starting a debate of Weaver vs...I am talking about the basics.

I am not saying that I am the master or anything at shooting but it is sooo common that I see people ignoring the basics (if they were ever learned in the first place).

Thoughts or comments encouraged
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I've probably been doing the "basics" longer than you've been alive truth be told. But I can see where you're coming from and sense your frustration only because I've been where you are now in the past. Thing is......you can't save the world. I admire your intentions, but personally, I think you're speaking to the wrong crowd here. Best blessings for your intentions.

VIP Member
    Once again, I have to agree with ‘Ram Rod’. I also recognize your good intentions, but your assertion may not bold well in this venue. Still, there isn't a day go by that I don't learn something from another forum member, and its the open exchange that reminds me...
    "Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, and learn as though you were going to live forever." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I started shooting when I was eight years old. I didn't start shooting handguns untils I was 22. I was harder for me to learn how to shoot a handgun than it was to learn how to shoot a long bow.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Preaching to the choir
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    After countless trips to the range and years of shooting and helping others shoot hand guns properly, I have learned that the vast majority of those who own and shoot a handgun (a number of which carry), do so improperly.

Do you know grip, stance, trigger control, sight picture...? And know how to do so properly?

I am not talking about starting a debate of Weaver vs...I am talking about the basics.

I am not saying that I am the master or anything at shooting but it is sooo common that I see people ignoring the basics (if they were ever learned in the first place).

Thoughts or comments encouraged
    I quit going to public ranges many years ago. I now pay extra for the training, safety, and strict rule enfortement that makes our 'place to shoot' pretty nice.
    Everyone has to start somewhere, but I choose to go to a place where safety is #1.

I would hope that most on this forum are either well aware of what you are talking about, and/or are visiting this forum so that they can learn more...know where to turn for training, and find out about the many problems floating around from bad habits to bad guys.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think for the most part people who are active on a board like this know the basics. Granted we do get some new people and it may be good for them to hear it.

I still consider myself somewhat of a novice when it comes to shooting, but I know them and I do them but I don't do them as well as I could if I could afford to practice more.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

I look at it two ways, people that carry on a daily basis continue to train and learn. Others carry for a few months and move on to another hobby.

In my case, like stacking arms, bowling and sex, I don't do it often enough to get good at it, yet. Therefore, I did not mind it at all when a range officer, at Vandalia Armory and Range, started giving me tips and wise advice while I was breaking in my new Kel-Tec P11. He knew what I did not know and could see what I could not see, saving me effort and time, getting the most out of my hour. I was grateful and did not tell him all about what I used to do and and about how I used to shoot way back when with my friends, etc.

Best way to correct the things you see is to talk to those that are doing them.

I think the majority here, at least the active members have been at this a while and have learned the basics at a minimum. That said I'm sure there are some that still need to learn much more to be safe and proficient with a gun in hand.

I'll be 48 next month and have been shooting and owned guns since I was a young boy, had my first .22 before I was old enough to take it out alone. But as long as someone is trying to raise awareness I say good for you, we need to watch out for one another.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Is it a good thing that I finally caught three shells in a photo at the range this afternoon?? I think I do it properly!

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Can you define "improperly"?
    I must be doing something very wrong?
    I tried to get all 5 rounds through the same hole and this was the best I could do.

Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

If you have been carrying your weapon for awhile and, dont know the basics Learn them. your weapon should be an exstension of your arm its part of you once learned, never forgotten if you should ever forget train, train and, Then train some more
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Scope Member
    New York permit
    Pennsylvania Permit
    Florida Permit

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Can you define "improperly"?
    I must be doing something very wrong?
    I tried to get all 5 rounds through the same hole and this was the best I could do.

Jeez RG you've got a few strays there.

Nice group...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links