Looks like it's legal to CC in Public Schools in Alabama

This is a discussion on Looks like it's legal to CC in Public Schools in Alabama within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As long as your either a Law Enforcement Officer OR a legal CC Permit holder and 'do not" have intent to do bodily harm: ================================================= ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like it's legal to CC in Public Schools in Alabama

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

As long as your either a Law Enforcement Officer OR a legal CC Permit holder and
    'do not" have intent to do bodily harm:
    =================================================
    Alabama Gun Law(s) in relation to Public Schools
    § 13A-11-72.

(c) Subject to the exceptions provided by Section 13A-11-74, no person shall knowingly with intent to do bodily harm carry or possess a deadly weapon on the premises of a public school.

(d) Possession of a deadly weapon with the intent to do bodily harm on the premises of a public school in violation of subsection (c) of this section is a Class C felony.

(e) Law enforcement officers are exempt from this section, and persons with pistol permits issued pursuant to Section 13A-11-75, are exempt from the provisions of subsection (c) of this section.

(f) The term "public school" as used in this section applies only to a school composed of grades K-12 and shall include a school bus used for grades K-12.

Source of above information:
    http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/Alabama_Weapon_Law.pdf
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I looked at that yesterday, and the way I read it is that it's only illegal if you intend to do bodily harm.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

We had a discussion about this in my recent OR CHL class.

It is legal in some states, but most school districts prohibit it. So if you are caught (a teacher or other employee) you can still be fired.

Visitors (I think) just have to leave if discovered or be considered trespassing. With the Zero Tolerance policies some have in place tho, you could really start a (IMO extreme) panic and there might even end up being other charges.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mavrik46 View Post
    I looked at that yesterday, and the way I read it is that it's only illegal if you intend to do bodily harm.
    Unfortunately you'll have some radical liberal who says "Anyone who has a gun, has intent to do bodily harm, otherwise they wouldn't be carrying one!"

I wish more states were like that in regards to CCing in a school.

Agreed!! In my reading of the law the only place where OC or CC (with a permit) is prohibited is at a public demonstration. Too bad most LEO don't know the law.

MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Anybody know for certain about Ky.? I have read the law, and that certainly means inside a school is a no go, but how about outside of a Ky. School?

Well if you take it all at face value, according to the statues, it's not illegal for an LEO to be armed in a school while having intent to do great bodily harm!
    I am not sure this is what they were going for!

Even if it were legal, it probably isn't wise to carry our firearms into public schools. If discovered, it would probably open a real can of worms AND since Alabama is a may issue and not shall issue, the local sheriff would likely pull the permit. Just my 2 cents.
    NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Sounds to me like a "common sense" law. Why prohibit law abiding citizens from arming themselves in any situaiton.

In WA you are allowed to carry onto school grounds as long as you are just there to pick up or drop off a student, if you are staying longer or going to conferences etc., you have to leave it in the office or get permision from the principle(like that will ever happen). It's nice that you can carry protect yourself while taking the kids to/from school without having to worry about the liberal school politicians freaking out. Well, they might freak out, but they can't do anything about it even if they notice.
    Walk softly ...

Yes we can carry them in Public schools and places where alcohol is served, we just can't have them while under the influence, or at public demostrations.

It's legal in our state, unless the school posts the AG approved "no ccw" sign on every door. Many do post the signs, but some don't. Even if it's posted, it applies "only" within the building itself.

Except for UT, and a couple of school districts in TX, most K-12 schools don't allow CCW, if you can pull that one off in AL...you are among the 'elite'...and as it should be everywhere.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It is my understanding that it is legal to carry in Alabama schools as long as the school you enter and the county you obtained the permit from are the same. This information came from an Federal Prosecutor that was the instructor at a CEU class that I attended.

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Anybody know for certain about Ky.? I have read the law, and that certainly means inside a school is a no go, but how about outside of a Ky. School?
    this means in the school and it's property to include the school bus stop in your neighborhood and any school sponsored activity off school grounds.

as it was explained to me but I'm no lawyer
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

I mentioned that on here a few years ago because of an incident that happened at my kids Elementary school (St. Elmo Elementary in St. Elmo. Armycop will know where that is) a father came to the school, to pick his kid up for an appointment or something and he was carrying. He knew the law. Someone noticed he was CC and called the cops. They show up, father gets arrested but, when it goes to court it all gets thrown out for because he did not carry there with any ill intent. That is the way that the law is written, and it held up in court.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links