Jury Duty.......some people just need to keep their yapper shut - Page 4

Jury Duty.......some people just need to keep their yapper shut

This is a discussion on Jury Duty.......some people just need to keep their yapper shut within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OtoPA I consider it my chance to nullify the ' poor misunderstood mama's boy' defense and let bozo realize that he's gotta ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OtoPA View Post
    I consider it my chance to nullify the ' poor misunderstood mama's boy' defense and let bozo realize that he's gotta pay for the wicked he's done.
    Innocent until proven guilty though.... right?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    ROFLMAO.... when I had jury duty.... we elected the 18 yr old female in there as the Jury Foreman. She actually did very good in keeping people on track when things got heated during deliberations.

But, the funny thing is, afterwards the Judge came in and said " I have to ask , how did you decide to elect an 18 yr old as Jury Foreman ". LOL. Because none of us were dumb enough to do it.
    Right on. My experience with juries is that the best jurors are housewives and clerk type guys.

If I were on trial I would like to see a whole lot of moms, grandmas and CPAs in the jury box. These folks actually tend to me more conservative than liberal btw. Women in particular tend to get more conservative with age. They are more likely to look for hardcore evidence and listen to the judges instructions, which btw are usually pretty darn good.

My observation has been that the sad truth is that us working class guy types tend to carry too much "emotional and social baggage" into jury duty and suddenly turn into hangmen.

Just my personal observations, others may see it other ways.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

"Jury: a group of twelve men who, having lied to the judge about their hearing, health and business engagements, have failed to fool him." - H.L. Mencken, in A Mencken Christomathy

You know I was doing jury duty just the other day. I wasnt real happy to be there because I had to take days off from being an EMT. I couldnt believe this guy there with me that would have had sympathy on the guy cause I was gonna shoot him. I guess it takes all kinds. I find it sad that they take you away from your job and you spend all day staring at the wall only to find out everyone has pleaded out. I think if you wait untill court day you should have to appear. I have taxes to pay and dont mind serving but dont waste my time striking a deal.

My one time for jury duty, we were in the selection process when someone came in and told us that the defendent had taken a plea. Then the judge told us about what the case would have been. Glad I wasn't sat. I wouldn't have been able to remain impartial. It was a child molestation case and the defendent admitted to the crime but the case was about whether or not he knew the age of the victim... his cousin.

My experience in the waiting room was awful though. Crammed in like sardines. I was sitting next to a guy who was on the phone the entire 4 hours I was in there and didn't know the meaning of "inside voice"

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I don't care to be judged by a jury that accepts people like me as a member.

With apologies to Groucho

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    How about a copy of AMERICAN HAND GUNNER? COMBAT WEAPONS? A RELOADING magazine? How about HUMPTY DUMPTY magazine?
    I don't remember any potential juror being questioned on any reading material they had in their possession during jury selection. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that it hasn't in any selection process I was involved with.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I guess I outed myself by joining the concealed campus movement...

and both our class president and vice president carry and they hosted a field trip to a local range where we taught some on the fencers how to shoot correctly...I guess it came as a no brainer what was up because they did it on the same day as I practice drawing and firing from concealment...
    Medical College of Virginia School of Medicine Class of 2013

VIP Member
    In all my years, I have always been 'unselected' for jury duty. I guess I’m just good at that sort of thing.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

cj
    People like that drive me nuts, and good point to those on here...but from what I recall when we discussed personality types, I doubt many frequenters of this board are the annoying talkative type...more likely the types I'd prefer to hang out with around here :)

My one jury experience, fortunately, did not contain anyone like that. Unfortunately, the defendant decided to defend himself, so I ended up having to stay for the whole thing. No defense attorney would want me there, but this guy was so clueless he just took whoever the prosecution left there, then basically used the entire defense of, "It wasn't me!".

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Well, now. Thanks for posting this little thread. My jury duty notice came in the mail today. Thanks, pal. See what you started!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Wow, more responses than I thought....haha.

In all honesty the "day" wasn't bad. I showed up at 1215 and was out by 1500 because the rest of the cases settled. The night before though was my 3rd 12hr shift and I was in bad need of some sleep. After a few minutes of listening to the guy I was able to fall asleep...woke up when the officer came in and said "You're all free to go!" haha.

I stay silent about carrying, my wife is anti (for the most part), her family is definitely anti-gun/carry. And my work environment is not....well, not in the least gun friendly as we get about 3 gunshot victims a day (trauma icu).. I do find it kind of entertaining to guess what caliber each person was shot with (hmm that sounded kind of horrible..) Every day is interesting If anything it has really hammered home the necessity of shot placement...I've seen a 14yr old survive a .45 to the chest, and a really big guy not make it from a .22 to the chest......anyway....feel free to continue with the jury duty rants
    Yep, I'm a Male Nurse.....Focker

Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Beretta PX4 9mm
    Ruger LCP
    FN Herstal PBR .308

last time i had jury duty i educated people on the right of Jury Nullification....

Art. 1, Sec. 1 of Georgia’s Constitution says:
    The right to trial by jury shall remain inviolate, except that the court shall render judgment without the
    verdict of a jury in all civil cases where no issuable defense is filed and where a jury is not demanded
    in writing by either party. In criminal cases, the defendant shall have a public and speedy trial by an
    impartial jury; and the jury shall be judges of the law and the facts
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

You'd be amazed by what you can find out about a person using that keyboard in front of you.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I enjoyed being a member of a grand jury once, hearing the prosecution evidence concerning a variety of cases, and rejecting some of it to end wasteful stupid useless casae that should not have gone to court, of course. Funny, after I had been a cop, I have been rejected for jury duty a couple of times since then. I mean, I was willing to sit and listen to the lying lowlifes before I found them guilty. Concerning being a member of the CCW club: I have been lucky, so far. BUT...it ain't no fun when some sensitive gun-hating [you hating?] liberal Oprah watcher calls the cops or tells and yell's "HE'S GOT A GUN!" What are or will the cops or other spectators or bystanders supposed to do? Bad-case scenario: Two wannabe CCW heroes do their routines against each other, thinking that the other one is the one who's bad and mean.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links