Jury Duty.......some people just need to keep their yapper shut

This is a discussion on Jury Duty.......some people just need to keep their yapper shut within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well.. I've been on 5 juries I think now. On 2 of them, on the 1st vote , I was the only one who voted ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jury Duty.......some people just need to keep their yapper shut

Well.. I've been on 5 juries I think now. On 2 of them, on the 1st vote , I was the only one who voted "innocent".... not that I thought they didn't do it necessarily .. they may have, but the DA didn't have good evidence and did a poor job of showing they did it at all.

On the first 1, after I told them why I voted "innocent", 10 others changed their vote to 'innocent' as well. They were found "innocent". The other, after I explained why I didn't vote guilty, it ended up 6 & 6 , and a hung jury.

My advice ; listen closely to the trial and play it out both ways in your mind. Pick out the things that can be supported by 'fact'. Vote the way you really think, stand your ground, explain your reasons, listen to the reasons others give, and ignore the bullies who want to force you to vote the way they want you too so they can go home early.

Then, I think you'll be a good juror.

2. Remove Ads

fables

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Innocent until proven guilty though.... right?
    ..but of course. I enjoy a good fable as much as the next person. I just refuse to accept that the manufacturer of Twinkies is the culprit when someone guns down another. uhhhh, Krispy Kreme gave me a sugar buzz and made me rob the bank... *coughbullcrap*

"all suspects are presumed innocent"..despite video recordings of them walking into the store, clubbing the owner and ransacking the displays..."but my childhood was miserable and Santa didn't bring me toys"... uh huh.

There are times I can completely agree with the statement "That boy NEEDED killing..." As recently here, when a BG shoots the cop in the head during a traffic stop, do we really need a trial ? Why use bang sticks to put out tires? Perhaps we should use Bang Sticks to put out the garbage.
    Last edited by JD; February 3rd, 2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by MaleNursePX4 View Post
    Guy beside me starts talking to this lady....He was a "me monster" for all you Brian Regan fans...
    I am surprised she stuck around long enough to get all those "facts" from him.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OtoPA View Post
    As recently here, when a BG shoots the cop in the head during a traffic stop, do we really need a trial ?
    Yes, because innocent people are arrested and charged all the time. Everyone, even thugs, deserves a fair trial.

This dude may in the future end up on the wrong side of the jury some day. For everyones sake I hope not. Bad attitude is common. He should lose his.

trial

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Yes, because innocent people are arrested and charged all the time. Everyone, even thugs, deserves a fair trial.
    The 'bang' that the BG heard when he pulled the trigger on the LEO was the "Guilty" gavel. Trial over. Lotsa luck on your appeal if you avoid the morgue and somehow make it out of the hospital.

(Son is a LEO, so am I biased.. you bet.)

Originally posted by Treo I say that because this forum has a very high percentage of "kill 'em all and who cares if God sorts "em out' posts
    Originally posted by OtoPAThere are times I can completely agree with the statement "That boy NEEDED killing..." As recently here, when a BG shoots the cop in the head during a traffic stop, do we really need a trial ? Why use bang sticks to put out tires? Perhaps we should use Bang Sticks to put out the garbage.
    Originally posted by OtoPA The 'bang' that the BG heard when he pulled the trigger on the LEO was the "Guilty" gavel. Trial over. Lotsa luck on your appeal if you avoid the morgue and somehow make it out of the hospital.
    I rest my case

Has any former cop or criminal victim been seated on a jury? Not being rejected by the defense, they and the prosecution taking turns or so I have learned. I am so nice, I can't believe that I was rejected twice!

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I rest my case
    In this issue, I hold your opinion with high esteem. Shoot a cop in cold blood and you're done. I still don't have a problem with that one.

Originally posted By OtoPA Shoot a cop in cold blood and you're done. I still don't have a problem with that one.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district where in the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

The presumption of innocence – being considered innocent until proven guilty – is a legal right that the accused in criminal trials has in many modern countries. The burden of proof is thus on the prosecution, which has to collect and present enough compelling evidence to convince the trier of fact, who are restrained and ordered by law to consider only actual evidence and testimony that is legally admissible, and in most cases lawfully obtained, that the accused is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. In case of remaining doubts, the accused is to be acquitted. This presumption is seen to stem from the Latin legal principle that ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat (the burden of proof rests on who asserts, not on who denies).
    Apparently the founders did

I like dogs; have several, but would not have compunction against shooting a rabid, vicious dog. I consider them a public danger.

The model citizens (felons) in my comments, shot a cop in the head as he approached for a traffic stop, shot at pursuing cops and endangered many innocents as they sped away. Would I lose any sleep if they were shot in the course of their apprehension? No. Would I hold the shooting cops at fault because the pair did not get the benefit of a Grand Jury indictment? Seriously?!?! Was their attempts to shoot more cops not as obvious as needed for their 'presumed' guilt? I'm sure there are those that would condemn their 'denial of due process' ..personally, if they're killed during a shootout, good riddance. FWIW, they were captured, alive, and will cost the taxpayers for the rest of their days.

My opinion. I respect your ability to form your own. I don't expect that the opinions have to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MaleNursePX4 View Post
    ..I do find it kind of entertaining to guess what caliber each person was shot with (hmm that sounded kind of horrible..)

naaaa..... just like a typical nurse, you're all a bit warped

(what can I say, my mom was a NNICU RN and believe me she has a very warped sense of humor! )
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

naaaa..... just like a typical nurse, you're all a bit warped
    That

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OtoPA View Post
    The 'bang' that the BG heard when he pulled the trigger on the LEO was the "Guilty" gavel. Trial over. Lotsa luck on your appeal if you avoid the morgue and somehow make it out of the hospital.

(Son is a LEO, so am I biased.. you bet.)
    I understand where you're coming from, but it's kind of against what it means to be in America.

If someone pulls a gun and shoots a LEO during a traffic stop, then give them a speedy and fair trial. The evidence should be overwhelming. The jury should have no problem giving him a "Guilty" verdict. I'm all for the death penalty in clear cut cases like that. But when you don't give people a fair trial, you're opening the country up for corruption. I would hate to live in a country like China, where the police can arrest you for anything, and the "judge/jury" will issue guilty without hearing a scrap of evidence or testimoney. Innocent people will and do suffer. Look at the Salem Witch Trials. All it took was someone to point the finger and accuse you. Once you were accused, there was no real way of proving your innocence.

Maybe I'm getting off topic here, but as Americans we deserve a fair trial. Not everyone who sits in the defendant's chair is guilty, but you seem to think otherwise. (I'm assuming from the tone and wording of your posts.) People who have that attitude have no place on a jury. We are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. If the evidence points to the defedant being guilty beyond reasonable doubt, then let him suffer for his crimes. I'm all for the death penalty as punishment for certain crimes, and I'd be willing to flip the switch myself if need be. But only after a fair trial and their guilt has been proven.

Originally posted by Blueninjago but as Human Beings we deserve a fair trial.
    Fixed it for you

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links