Transporting Ammo on plane?

This is a discussion on Transporting Ammo on plane? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be flying on SW airlines. I was planning on locking my M&P compact in a center-of-mass.com car safe. This seems fine since it ...

Thread: Transporting Ammo on plane?

Transporting Ammo on plane?

I will be flying on SW airlines. I was planning on locking my M&P compact in a center-of-mass.com car safe. This seems fine since it is hard sided according to SW Air's rules. I thought I would just keep the magazine loaded but remove from the gun and place it in the safe too. However, it seems according to their rules (listed below) this isn't acceptable. This safe does not have a cutout as mentioned below. So what can I use that will fit in the small thing safe to store 10 rounds?

PS: picture of the car safe is attached for those not familiar with it.

Ammunition

* Small arms ammunition for personal use (provided it is properly packed) is permissible in checked baggage only.
    * The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    * When checking ammunition, Customers are limited to 11 pounds gross weight (ammunition plus container) per person.
    * Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).
    * Make sure guns are unloaded and definitely never transport a gun in your carryon baggage!
    * Gunpowder (black powder) and primers or percussion caps are not allowed in checked or carryon baggage.
    * Loose ammunition or loose loaded magazines and/or clips are not allowed.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    The way I read it, you can't use the mag as an ammo carrier, it does not fully enclose the ammo.

I brought a 50 round factory box here with me to 'Vegas, along with 2 8 rd. mags (empty). The 1911 and empty mags were in a generic copy of the COM box you have (attached the TSA tag where the cable goes). I just kept the ammo box in my checked bag that the COM box was in. I flew Spirit (each airline has some leeway to add to the TSA rules, can specifiy different things- go to the TSA website for their rules first, then to the airline's for theirs).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    The way I read it, you can't use the mag as an ammo carrier, it does not fully enclose the ammo.
    IT says you can use the mag:
    * Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).

So the question is do you think I can take the loaded mag and just place it in the "In Car Safe" next to the gun. I know if I call the airlines and ask 5 different people I will get 5 different answers

When I've fly with a gun in my luggage I just pack the ammo in it's factory box and put the box inside the lockbox with the gun and empty mags.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    When I've fly with a gun in my luggage I just pack the ammo in it's factory box and put the box inside the lockbox with the gun and empty mags.
    dido, this is about the only way to be sure it will pass the check, ask 5 people and get 5 dif answers
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post

So the question is do you think I can take the loaded mag and just place it in the "In Car Safe" next to the gun. I know if I call the airlines and ask 5 different people I will get 5 different answers
    That not securly packaged as the mags may flop about in the safe.

I leave my ammo in its factory original box and just put it on top of the top layer of clothing in the outer bag near where the locked pistol box is going to be placed.

I've never yet been asked anything about my ammo or required to show it to anyone during baggage check-in procedures, but there's always a first time!

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    The thing is that a factory box of ammo will not fit in this box I am using to transport the gun

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post

The way I read it is that the loaded mag can be in a box.. any box.. toothpast box? pencil box? crayon box? Any cardboard box is going to keep the primers covered just as well as a cut-out in the styrofoam of a case.

Right?
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Also, notice that this says may..

* The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition

That is not saying that the ammunition must be placed in the same container as the firearm. So really, any small cardboard box that will fit one or two mags should be permissable.. Or, the factory ammo box as Captain38 mentioned.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

You can put your mags in a belt clip mag holder as long as the cartridges are covered. i do it all the time.

Links