Flip 'Em The Bird And Die Like A Viking

This is a discussion on Flip 'Em The Bird And Die Like A Viking within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Flip 'Em The Bird And Die Like A Viking -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://usconcealedcarry.org/free/nowin.html I occasionally get asked about my sig line and I occasionally have my testicular ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flip 'Em The Bird And Die Like A Viking

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://usconcealedcarry.org/free/nowin.html

I occasionally get asked about my sig line and I occasionally have my testicular fortitude called into question for having that sig line and absolutely refusing to play the self-aggrandizing sheep dog game. I personally despise the sheepdog analogy. I do not carry a gun for the protection of the people around me; my "herd" goes armed too. Now I realize that arguments could be made that my intervention on any level makes me a "sheep dog" but I refuse the title.

Anyway the linked article here is where the line came from. I don’t want to get too much into it because the author (Gabe Suarez) is far more articulate than I am. I’ll just say that in my mind there is absolutely no good reason for me to comply w/ the commands of the felon. In the scenario posited in the article, win lose or draw my wallet never would have come out of my pocket because I would have gone straight for my gun. (I’m not trying to be a bad ass I know me).

So, here’s the article give it some thought.

FWIW here's the .org thread that spawned my sig line http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ip+bird+viking
    It's also a pretty though provoking question

2. Remove Ads

Cant get the links to work, I tried from the other forum and the links wouldnt work there. Im interested in what it means based on the other forum that you are a member of.

Distinguished Member Array PackerBackerToo's Avatar
    Dead links for me too.

I got the first one going below.

United States Concealed Carry Association
    Last edited by PackerBackerToo; February 2nd, 2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Add working link.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I agree with you. Sheep dog I am not... I don't have the money for liability of others.

sigs are like opinions... opinions are like ears.... everyone has one

Makes sense, thanks for the insight. Sometimes people cant see thru the writing on the wall. In the scenario, I agree. Give em what you got.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I tend to agree with the sentiment...mostly.
    Most of us have a line we will draw. Some of us don't even know what it is until a confrontation occurs.
    Me? With my training, experience and mindset, I know where my line is. I won't be herded into an indefensible room/position, and I won't go to the floor.
    That's just one example. All situations are fluid and dynamic though, so it's hard to say in absolute terms what one will do.
    Chances are good that you will default to what you have trained for. So if you plan on engaging, or dying like a Viking if need be, by God you better train hard for engagement.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Flip Em The Bird And Die Like a Viking
    This is a good hard quote, however for most people with families and good friends its not that simple. Yes I am a head strong, fight to death kind of guy but at the end of the day I want to see my family and friends, if that means being a coward and handing over my wallet, watch, car keys then so be it. My life to me and to others is worth way more then any object. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    I tend to agree with the sentiment...mostly.
    Most of us have a line we will draw. Some of us don't even know what it is until a confrontation occurs.
    Me? With my training, experience and mindset, I know where my line is. I won't be herded into an indefensible room/position, and I won't go to the floor.
    That's just one example. All situations are fluid and dynamic though, so it's hard to say in absolute terms what one will do.
    Chances are good that you will default to what you have trained for. So if you plan on engaging, or dying like a Viking if need be, by God you better train hard for engagement.
    You are so right, I think another thing to add is insight into your own soul. Am I going to be able to do something like this or not. Most of us have made the decision to use force if needed, but do most of us have the courage to survive.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Good point Harryball. There is much more to defense than strapping up and feeling secure. The mental aspect shouldn't be ignored in training.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

IMO

If the bad guy has a gun he's not going to let me live anyway. This isn't always true but I'm not willing to trust my life to the mercy of a bad guy. I have (IMO) nothing to lose, I'm fighting back.

To be clear, I'm not neccessarily talking about a bank robbery or a Taco Joe's robbery where i'm just part of the crowd. I'm talking about a scenario like the one posited in the article a bad guy who has picked me and only me (or me and the wife) as the victim.

Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

PS I am no longer a member at THR.org and I won't be until Oleg Volk reclaims what is rightfuly his intelectual property[/QUOTE]

Try TheHighRoad.US

VIP Member
    I still prefer to let them die like a viking.

Naturally if I did go down, I'd prefer it to be in a pile of brass casings, surrounded by gore.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I agree with you. Sheep dog I am not... I don't have the money for liability of others.

sigs are like opinions... opinions are like ears.... everyone has one

I've heard something similar, but different.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmend View Post
    This is a good hard quote, however for most people with families and good friends its not that simple. Yes I am a head strong, fight to death kind of guy but at the end of the day I want to see my family and friends, if that means being a coward and handing over my wallet, watch, car keys then so be it. My life to me and to others is worth way more then any object. IMHO
    +1

My daily task is to not allow my SA to put me in the no win scenario. If the BG gets the drop on me, I'll try to negotiate my way outa it, or even evade if possible. But if I feel it's gonna go down and it's him, them or me. To hell with the sheep dog, I'll become a friggin warewolf in a heartbeat. It's my opinion about myself and I have no qualms stating it. I can become very violent and on an occasion and have done so in the past, but it's always in response to aggression against me or one of my loved ones. IMO, well placed aggression is a valuable tool to have in this day and age, provided it's kept at bay and used wisely.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links