Employer Concealed Carry Policies

This is a discussion on Employer Concealed Carry Policies within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Suddenly I've become mildly curious about the policies that employers may have regarding CCW. I'm more interested in the policies (or lack thereof) of major ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Employer Concealed Carry Policies

Employer Concealed Carry Policies

Suddenly I've become mildly curious about the policies that employers may have regarding CCW. I'm more interested in the policies (or lack thereof) of major corporations.

I've not even looked to see if my company has one or not, and wonder if anyone else has. I work for a global company headquartered in Massachusetts...so I suppose I should be particularly interested. I'll get back with any info I uncover, but in the mean time has anyone else found a written policy on the issue?
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    If no guns allowed on property there is a good bet that employees must heed that rule too.

The policy is to be a good victim

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I work for a global company based out of Switzerland. Our division is based out of the UK. Needless-to-say, it's clearly stated that no firearms on the property in the employee handbook.

Then we also got a memo/e-mail as a reminder when Texas was discussing passing the law about allowing employees the right to lock up firearms in their cars at work.

Cool

Being retired, I don't have to be concerned with "company policies and rules". However, it's their business and property. They have the absolute right and responsibility to establish policy. Don't want to comply? Hit the road. I enjoy my rights and respect the rights of others.

VIP Member
    A former employer of mine had the policy of "no unauthorized weapons on the premises". Of course that doesn't include the parking lot as that would be against the law.

I questioned the owner about the policy, and what it would take to become "authorized". He said all I have to do is have a CFP, and ask. From then on I was one of only 4 "authorized" carriers. The others were him, his wife, and son.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongo Boy View Post
    Suddenly I've become mildly curious about the policies that employers may have regarding CCW. I'm more interested in the policies (or lack thereof) of major corporations.

I've not even looked to see if my company has one or not, and wonder if anyone else has. I work for a global company headquartered in Massachusetts...so I suppose I should be particularly interested. I'll get back with any info I uncover, but in the mean time has anyone else found a written policy on the issue?
    Being from Massachusetts, I doubt that you can carry concealed anywhere unless you have a reason to do so. Carrying on private property even if not posted or in an employee manual might not be legal if you are not licensed to carry in your state.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Seeing how I work in a federal installation on a Navy base, the "corporate" policy strictly forbids any weapons, and unlike a lot of places, they actually check to enforce it (even if it is only random security screenings). It is a little better to know that while I am unarmed, at least there are armed guards "close" by. Yes, it would be better to carry ourselves as demonstrated by Ft. Hood, etc... but the security office downstairs should be quicker to respond than a local PD in a random business office.

I would consider challenging the policy, but I don't think I would get anywhere, and trying to carry anyway isn't really an option since I don't want to get federal charges
    Walk softly ...

I work for a US-based cellular telecommunications company. My employer has a strict no-carry written policy. I am assured instead in the Employee Guide that "[my employer] is committed to my health and safety".

Full discussion of my particular dilemma can be checked out here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...king-hood.html
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

My personal policy is 'don't ask, don't tell.'

Don't ask what the policy is and don't tell anybody that you carry. If you are 'made' then plead ignorance.

Im a college student in a college town working for a restaurant owned by a national chain. I personally am not concerned with our firearms policy which basically says we cant have a firearm, not even in the parking lot etc. I just bought a COP ankle band for my glock 26. Spent a few weeks getting used to extra 26 ounces of weight on my leg around the house before taking it to work. Now im all set, walk normally (at least I hope so), and can defend myself if something were to happen inside, or on my way to the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post
    I personally am not concerned with our firearms policy which basically says we cant have a firearm, not even in the parking lot etc.
    One bit of the law that I'm very thankful for here in Florida is a recently adopted little gem that specifically states an employer cannot restrict you from having a firearm in your locked vehicle. One of the few times I feel protected by the State!
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatCWP View Post
    My personal policy is 'don't ask, don't tell.'

Don't ask what the policy is and don't tell anybody that you carry. If you are 'made' then plead ignorance.
    But first call HR and ask if there is a written company policy against weapons on the company property. Cant plead ignorance because as a licensed carrier you are required to conform to the law as where you can and cannot carry
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

It's a bummer for sure. My company also prohibits guns in locked vehicles in their parking lots. Even if it's no longer against the law....they can still fire you.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongo Boy View Post
    I'm more interested in the policies (or lack thereof) of major corporations.
    AT&T's policy is no weapons on company property, not even in your vehicle if parked on their property.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I work for one of the major computer/services companies. I had been aware that there was a policy against handguns since way back, but when I searched our intranet I found no references at all (and I know very well how to search).

My group consists of Federal contractors, so I asked my local FSO who is tied into the corporate security group.

He did indeed find a policy prohibiting handguns which went so far as to include 'persons with concealed carry permits'. He too found it odd that the 'average' employee could not find this policy.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links