You got a gun?! Yea, don't you?

This is a discussion on You got a gun?! Yea, don't you? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pulled up to the house last night and saw a guy in front of my neighbors house wielding a shovel holding a drunk guy at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You got a gun?! Yea, don't you?

You got a gun?! Yea, don't you?

Pulled up to the house last night and saw a guy in front of my neighbors house wielding a shovel holding a drunk guy at bay in the street.

Apparently the drunk had been banging on the door trying to get in. Shovel guy was the neighbor friend who happened to be in the area when the banging started. He had a folding army shovel and was poised for a swing. My neighbor was his porch talking to 911, I learned later.

I got out of the truck and send my son in to call 911. Shovel guy yelled to me.

Shovel Guy: Do you have a gun?! (at this point, I'm not sure if either are good guys).
    Me: Yeah, what about you?
    Shovel Guy: No (ok, one clear, maybe)
    Me: How bout him? (indicating the drunk guy)
    Shovel Guy: Don't know. (uh oh)

At this point I check to see that my son is behind cover and I move to cover and pull my jacket over my weapon.

The stand off continues - drunk guy appears to be unsure if he wants a fight or not. Shovel guy is getting bolder with his yelling - (I'm gonna lay you out, get down on the ground, etc.)

Thanks goodness, the police roll up in a hurry - two cars. They cuff and transport drunk guy. Shovel Guy comes over to me to talk, he's pretty fried on adrenalin.

Me: So, why don't you carry a gun?
    Shovel Guy: (terrified look) what? why would I do that?
    Me: Seems like you sorta wished you had one back there.
    Shovel Guy: yea, but I don't live around here, I'm just their friend. I live across town. But, I'm sure glad you showed up.
    Me: Alrighty, well, have a better night.

Apparently Shovel Guy has some guts (or stupidity), but doesn't really have a plan. Interesting evening.

2. Remove Ads

Glad the LEO's showed up in a hurry or it could have been ugly. Maybe shovel guy will come up with a plan now. I think you did well in that situation. Glad no-one was hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by NCTom View Post
    Apparently Shovel Guy has some guts (or stupidity), but doesn't really have a plan. Interesting evening.
    I can appreciate the guts that it takes to be willing to square off to protect a friend. However, you're right that there is clearly a lack of a plan.

Verifying your son was safe before moving forward was an excellent move.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Mic
    Shovel Guy: yea, but I don't live around here, I'm just their friend. I live across town. But, I'm sure glad you showed up.
    So.. I guess shovel guy lives in a REALLY nice part of town where crime dose not exist ??
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

VIP Member
    Yup. Maybe this was 'the moment of realization' for the guy with the shovel. There was a time when I didn't see the need to carry either.

Seems like shovel guy accessed the situation and did pretty well considering the circumstances. Not everyone is ready or willing to carry a firearm. This doesn't mean they can't defended their self or property under certain situations.

No different than those that do carry. You have to access what's going on and what's required to accomplish what you want. Drawing or showing is not always needed to accomplish this.

I am curious to know what might have happened with the LEOs had the OP showed/pulled his gun. Would they do as they did or open a whole new can of worms?

Pulled up to the house last night and saw a guy in front of my neighbors house wielding a shovel holding a drunk guy at bay in the street.

Apparently the drunk had been banging on the door trying to get in. Shovel guy was the neighbor friend who happened to be in the area when the banging started. He had a folding army shovel and was poised for a swing. My neighbor was his porch talking to 911, I learned later.

I got out of the truck and send my son in to call 911. Shovel guy yelled to me.

Shovel Guy: Do you have a gun?! (at this point, I'm not sure if either are good guys).
    Me: Yeah, what about you?
    Shovel Guy: No (ok, one clear, maybe)
    Me: How bout him? (indicating the drunk guy)
    Shovel Guy: Don't know. (uh oh)

At this point I check to see that my son is behind cover and I move to cover and pull my jacket over my weapon.

The stand off continues - drunk guy appears to be unsure if he wants a fight or not. Shovel guy is getting bolder with his yelling - (I'm gonna lay you out, get down on the ground, etc.)

Thanks goodness, the police roll up in a hurry - two cars. They cuff and transport drunk guy. Shovel Guy comes over to me to talk, he's pretty fried on adrenalin.

Me: Alrighty, well, have a better night.

Glad it worked out for the better and the drunk guy got to keep his head.

Me: So, why don't you carry a gun? Looks like he was doing pretty good with the shovel.

The term shovel guy makes me think of the movie "Mystery Men" but I think the guy was called "The Shoveler"
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

2 people I don't know fighting get a 911 call.
    I'm certainly not getting out and telling the one holding a weapon that I have a firearm.

The OP sounds like a script for a PSA. The tag line?

Guts is good. A plan is better. Don't be Shovel Guy.
    Brought to you by the concerned citizens at DefensiveCarry.com

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    I can appreciate the guts that it takes to be willing to square off to protect a friend. However, you're right that there is clearly a lack of a plan.

Verifying your son was safe before moving forward was an excellent move.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Ape
    I'm glad you had the presence of mind to "NOT" draw your gun in this instince!
    You could've opened yourself up to a lot of legal hassles and nightmares by doing so.
    I also don't think I would've offered up the info about whether or not I was carrying if I were you. Since you didn't know either of the people involved you could've been walking into a big old headache there as well.

Luckily everything turned out "OK" and nothing bad happened. ;-)

Nice job NCTom.

From cover (your car?) you were prepared to use your weapon against either, since you didnt know the whole story and didnt know shovel man.

Also, at this point in the story, from what NCTom observed, shovel guy didnt (yet) have cause to to draw a gun even if he had one. (And the threat of the one carried by NCTom didnt seem to phase drunk guy.)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    I am curious to know what might have happened with the LEOs had the OP showed/pulled his gun. Would they do as they did or open a whole new can of worms?
    If he was trying to breach the front door they could have shot through the door to stop entry. Yes, that's legal in NC.

Once he stepped out and found the guy unarmed it's a bit different. Technically you have to be in fear of death or great bodily harm. In reality, depends on where you are in NC. Durham, you might have some problems. Where I am, you might get a pat on the back and a "good job." That's just for presenting the firearm, but would apply to using it some too. There are some large local differences in how self defense in viewed in NC.

Glad everything turned out OK after all the adrenalin of the shovel guy...good for you for making sure that your son will be safe and OK.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links