More stringent Qualification for Permits

This is a discussion on More stringent Qualification for Permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know for the most part the majority of us are properly qualified to carry,and most of us do our part,keeping up as best we ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More stringent Qualification for Permits

I know for the most part the majority of us are properly qualified to carry,and most of us do our part,keeping up as best we can with professional classes as well as going to the ranges as much as possible etc.
    but there a small percentage that adds up that few of us think about,and they can be as lethal as the bad guy! There not some young drug crazed kid,it's people you and I would never expect and there getting permits everyday without any form of training.Our beloved Senior Citizens that had military service back when they were young!
    I hate to be the whistler blower on this one,but it's something that someone has to look at before a tragedy happens. My father in law now 80 was able to obtain a CCW without any formal or informal training,not even a safety course,because back when he was 18 he was a cook in the Service.I could understand somewhat if he was infantry and had alot of weapons training but he was a cook if he had a week of small arms training he had alot. after the service he never touched a gun,never hunted,nothing!He applied at age 79 did the paper work,backround check,Paid and with NO training at all got his permit.
    Now at his age senility is setting in for one,I have tried to teach him safety and the proper way to handle a gun,(nearly getting shot on several occasions) and have been temporarily thrown out of his house for as he say's disrespecting him for stating he doesn't know how to use his own gun!I have tried talking to family members only to have a family fued start and you know who the bad guy is! Go figure,but this is my fight for now! what concerns me is the thousands of elderly Vets out there just like him,I'm sure he's not the only one.
    How many nice older gents are out there,that think there doing the right thing,but God forbid they draw to help someone and with out the proper training,they shoot and kill the wrong person(s),They go to jail,and there going to be liable for something that some guide lines should have been in place to avoid!Something for us all to think about.The next time your out,be a little more on guard about the little old man over your right shoulder,he means well,but......................does he even have any training?
    I hope I didn't offend any one it wasn't my intention! Good luck and Stay Safe

While I understand where the OP is coming from I just cannot, in good conscience, invite any part of the government to set up another requirement for that which his supposed to be an unfettered constitutional right.

For once how about NOT looking at the government to do what others might/should do. If his family is concerned as to this old guy's capabilities with firearms they should step in and act as a family is supposed to act.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    the age old question...how involved do you want the government to be?...one would hope the family would interject and correct the concern but thats not likely...does he still drive also?...here in florida we have elderly people piloting deadly weapons down our roads, sidewalks and ditches with great frequency....

I feel the same way. I had to watch a few senior citizens get their CPL here in Michigan after waving the muzzle around at everything, not being able to load a magazine themselves, or hit the target with any form of repeatability...I'd be terrified if I saw one of them draw in public. There is a better chance of them shooting their own leg than getting a shot at the BG...

VIP Member
    Like the responses above, I appreciate and share your concern, but the last thing that I ever want is more regulation.

I want a government that protects me from foreign invaders. I believe that me and the rest of our good citizens can pretty much handle everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    the age old question...how involved do you want the government to be?...one would hope the family would interject and correct the concern but thats not likely...does he still drive also?...here in florida we have elderly people piloting deadly weapons down our roads, sidewalks and ditches with great frequency....
    Agreed.

As I've recently posted, we cant control people breeding and irresponsible parenting leads to way more danger than guns. And since he used the privilege (not right) of driving as an example, we also dont have enough control over elderly drivers either.

I fall back on my signature for this issue: Freedom doesnt mean safe, it means free.

That means we have to be more responsible for ourselves and respect the rights of others, even if it may make things more dangerous (or we can become involved in education, vigilance, etc). If we want to be free, we cant keep asking the govt to make laws to 'keep us safe.'
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Another thing we've noted recently, is that we havent seen any data that shows that states with more stringent CC requirements have any lower safety records than states without any requirements at all (beyond background checks).
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Administrator
    Pennsylvania is "Shall Issue" with no strings attached. AKA No written, oral, or range testing required.
    Our incident rate of accidental shooting or negligent discharge is the same or lower than every other State...with PA having one of the highest percentages of citizens with licenses to carry per the total state population in the U.S.

Since you feel that your Father In Law is unable to safely own or carry a firearm and that he is a danger to himself and others around him then you should probably talk to him about and express your concerns & if that fails then contact his family physician and your local police or sheriff dept.

Possibly if he is truly severely senile these days then just quietly remove the firearm from his premises and he'll probably think that he just forgot where he put it.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Put me in Y'all's comments. On the one hand I truly believe that the test for a CCWP should not be a joke, which it really is these days. On the other hand, it is just the opening that the anti-gun nazis want to put the ultimate nail in the 2nd Amendment coffin; they will insist on standards that even Roy Rogers or a trained Navy Seal could not pass. I also find it ridiculous in SC that you have to fill out permit paper when you purchase a gun from a dealer, but you can turn around and sell it on the street with no questions asked and no permit.

Good point QKShooter.

If the OP's FIL is truly impaired, maybe he can get power of attorney to gain some control over the FIL's circumstances...and take away the guns.

It sounds like much more of a mental impairment issue than a training issue, IMO.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Like the responses above, I appreciate and share your concern, but the last thing that I ever want is more regulation.

I want a government that protects me from foreign invaders. I believe that me and the rest of our good citizens can pretty much handle everything else.
    ^^^^^That^^^^^
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I think we as a community should be policing ourselves so we dont have the government in our business. It would be nice if the local gun store would require some proof of training before they would sell us weapons. I am not saying the government should establish this but, Bob over at Guns R Us should be asking people if they have basic gun skills before he sends them out the door with a soon to be loaded weapon. I know this would hurt a stores bottom line, but it would look great to the general public if we could police ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

What he said ^^^^
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post
    While I understand where the OP is coming from I just cannot, in good conscience, invite any part of the government to set up another requirement for that which his supposed to be an unfettered constitutional right.

For once how about NOT looking at the government to do what others might/should do. If his family is concerned as to this old guy's capabilities with firearms they should step in and act as a family is supposed to act.
    I agree, sometimes the best answers come from one's own family
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    While I believe proper training and practce is a necessity to anyone who wants to be a responsible gun owner, I will aggressively oppose anyone who attempts to put yet another "infringement" on our rights.

Yes, it would be more safe and preferable if all gun owners had proper instruction, and in fact, I would argue for mandatory weapons training in schools, but allowing another regulation and restriction is a step towards what the Brady Bunch and UN have been trying to do for years(take away all of our guns). If you give them an inch, they will take a mile; slippery slope; etc...

Am I still paraniod if they really are after me?
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links