Campus Carry - Page 2

Campus Carry

This is a discussion on Campus Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I was at Wayne State University in Detroit, taking Criminal Justice courses we had a scruffy, bearded, smelly man in our classes. He carried ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Campus Carry

When I was at Wayne State University in Detroit, taking Criminal Justice courses we had a scruffy, bearded, smelly man in our classes. He carried a worn battered briefcase. One day our class was moved for the day to a classroom in the Library. After the class we had to exit through a check out lane. Of course they demanded he open his briefcase. Right there on top was a Big Bad Handgun. Screams like crazy. He reached under his t-shirt and pulled out a badge and ID, Michigan State Police :-)
    He was an undercover :-)

Mel
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    Campus carry is legal in MO, though the school might expell or fire you if they catch you.
    Correct. It is University of Missouri policy to allow no weapons on campus. I don't know what policies private institutions have in place, however.

Absent the extremely rare shoot-up-the-campus type suicide shootings most criminals are in it for fun and profit and don't want to be identified or caught. They tend to stick to fringe areas and are not going to be mugging or raping people in classrooms. Parking lots, late nights in mostly empty campus buildings, solitary student - great target. That is when a gun is really good to have. Rest of time, probably more hassle then it is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Am I missing something, or mis-reading the map? The map of the GT campus shows a big gaping hole in terms of crimes, with the campus virtually crime-free. Wouldn't that strongly suggest the concept that a gun-free zone can result in fewer crimes?

The presence of CHL should tend to help reduce the incidence of crime (given the increased risk to criminals); reduce the risk of bad results to potential victims (given that they're better armed). The map showing an utter lack of violent crimes on the GT campus might suggest it's chock-full of concealed carriers ... and that the criminals knows this. Either that, or it's known that all GT students are poor and have nothing of value to get from a crime. Do the criminals around GT know something we don't?
    I just signed up so I could reply to this.

I'm a student @ GT, and the reason there's so many crimes right off of campus is because those areas are where students walk through to get to their off campus housing. These students normally don't have cars so live close and are able to walk, but those areas aren't the safest places.

I'm not afraid of anything while I'm on campus, it's when you are walking home from campus that it could be scary.

Quote Originally Posted by hcliu View Post
    I just signed up so I could reply to this.

I'm a student @ GT, and the reason there's so many crimes right off of campus is because those areas are where students walk through to get to their off campus housing. These students normally don't have cars so live close and are able to walk, but those areas aren't the safest places.

I'm not afraid of anything while I'm on campus, it's when you are walking home from campus that it could be scary.
    Thank you for that hcliu, I figured as much. Also,welcome to the forums.

Students should not have to feel scared to go to their cars, scared to go to their housing or scared to go to nearby establishments no matter where their school is located. But the world we live in likes to punish the law-abiders while giving the criminals more and more outs.

I'm a student at Colorado State University, where it is legal for those over 21 for the moment. They're pushing hard to get CCW outlawed on campus. At least the county sheriff is against the ban, but boy is it still enraging to me.

Not like it would change a whole lot though. As a freshman, I sit in my dorm, do homework, and read defensivecarry.com defenseless and unable to legally protect myself, my friends, or my family.
    Give us this day our daily lead...

Im at Ohio State, and I get nervous at a school this big with no one being able to legally carry on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnutcar View Post
    I never had anything like that happen to me or anyone I knew while I was at the 'Zou but thankfully she made it out ok. I'm Mizzou alum, '05.
    Yeah, it just really worries me with as many friends that I have that are girls walking around campus at night by themselves. They don't pay attention and think that acting like they're talking on the phone is going to save them. Trying to teach them thats not the case and help out with some safe habits. The best is I just got a clery release from MUPD saying that a girl had been raped. Thats all they said though, no description of the guy or anything else. Pretty retarded in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    Campus carry is legal in MO, though the school might expell or fire you if they catch you.
    Quote Originally Posted by spwz99 View Post
    Correct. It is University of Missouri policy to allow no weapons on campus. I don't know what policies private institutions have in place, however.
    Yeah Mizzou is a pretty liberal school when it comes to guns. Even with all the students that are from rural areas, the over whelming amount of students in the J-School, and from St. Louis, automatically guns are bad and they don't want anything to do with them. I know plenty of guys that carry anyway, but so far I just can't bring myself to do it without a permit.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

I work at a university. Almost to a person the administrators are very liberal.

My conclusion concerning liberals is that they do not have any comprehension of evil. Their empty philosophy of everyone being good and the lack of any personal experience with evil support their belief systems and encourages them to make light of the legitimate concerns all of us share.
    "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by DrXD View Post
    I work at a university. Almost to a person the administrators are very liberal.

My conclusion concerning liberals is that they do not have any comprehension of evil. Their empty philosophy of everyone being good and the lack of any personal experience with evil support their belief systems and encourages them to make light of the legitimate concerns all of us share.
    Yeah its pretty sad here at Mizzou. I have had teachers that you could tell would be all for it, but the majority of them aren't gonna have it. The typical response I get from teachers and students alike are well if a student gets a D on his paper he's just going to pull out his gun and shoot the teacher. Then when you explain to them that people with a permit have gone through training, background check etc, they still are like w/e. So my next question is well what prevents them from doing that now which usually ends the conversations.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45

A great reason why concealed carry should be allowed on college campuses:

Sword attack at Ga. Tech | ajc.com
    "A man believed to be a former grad student stabbed a post-doctoral fellow with a sword at Georgia Tech this afternoon, a school spokesman said."

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hcliu View Post
    I'm not afraid of anything while I'm on campus
    I hope this isn't offensive, but I'm sure some of the victims in the Virginia Tech tragedy felt the same way. I'm a strong believer that if one of those victims in that classroom had a gun, they might have been able to save at least some of those lives.

Maybe it would have saved some lives, maybe it wouldn't have, but I think it's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by HKkid View Post
    Yeah its pretty sad here at Mizzou. I have had teachers that you could tell would be all for it, but the majority of them aren't gonna have it. The typical response I get from teachers and students alike are well if a student gets a D on his paper he's just going to pull out his gun and shoot the teacher. Then when you explain to them that people with a permit have gone through training, background check etc, they still are like w/e. So my next question is well what prevents them from doing that now which usually ends the conversations.
    I know what you mean. My girlfriend goes to a university here in Texas, and they were pushing really hard for students and teachers who have permits to be able to CC, and there was some debates going on. I wish I was there for that. She described one of the discussions exactly how you did. They never have an answer when you ask them what stops them from doing it now.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I hope this isn't offensive, but I'm sure some of the victims in the Virginia Tech tragedy felt the same way. I'm a strong believer that if one of those victims in that classroom had a gun, they might have been able to save at least some of those lives.

Maybe it would have saved some lives, maybe it wouldn't have, but I think it's worth a shot.

I know what you mean. My girlfriend goes to a university here in Texas, and they were pushing really hard for students and teachers who have permits to be able to CC, and there was some debates going on. I wish I was there for that. She described one of the discussions exactly how you did. They never have an answer when you ask them what stops them from doing it now.
    Yeah, its funny because they never do. They've all got this blindfold over their eyes that nothing bad is ever going to happen. I've had a few guys try and change the subject to why do you want to carry so bad, and when I explain it to them they tell me I'm just paranoid. I guess I'd just rather be prepared than something happen and theres nothing that I can do about it. One of my friends has been trying to get his girlfriend to take the CCW class with him and she's been against it, but after our friend got her purse taken, now they're both up for taking it. Its pretty amazing that something like that can change an outlook so easily.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I'm not saying that I don't think anything would ever happen to me on campus, and I'm in full support of HB615.

What I meant by my statement is that I'm more worried about getting stabbed at McDonalds for my Big Mac than I am sitting in a classroom. Not saying that something like the VT massacre couldn't happen at my school, but I don't think about that often.

VIP Member

Re VA

It's not student carry, but maybe a small change, however, on Friday, February 5, at 7:30 am the House Militia, Police and Public Safety Sub-Committee #3 will hold a hearing in the 7th Floor West Conference room on House Bill 32 , sponsored by Delegate Bob Marshall (R-13), would allow full-time faculty at a public higher educational institution in the Commonwealth of Virginia to carry a concealed firearm on campus, as long as they have a valid concealed handgun permit.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links