Campus Carry - Page 3

Campus Carry

This is a discussion on Campus Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DaveH It's not student carry, but maybe a small change, however, on Friday, February 5, at 7:30 am the House Militia, Police ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Campus Carry

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    It's not student carry, but maybe a small change, however, on Friday, February 5, at 7:30 am the House Militia, Police and Public Safety Sub-Committee #3 will hold a hearing in the 7th Floor West Conference room on House Bill 32 , sponsored by Delegate Bob Marshall (R-13), would allow full-time faculty at a public higher educational institution in the Commonwealth of Virginia to carry a concealed firearm on campus, as long as they have a valid concealed handgun permit.
    Did you attend the meeting? Any news on it?

VIP Member
    All committee meetings were cancel, due to weather.

I seldom go down to sub-committee hearings.

However, health & weather permitting, I'm likely to go down next Friday for the full committee meet on a number of bills.

See "Update" @ http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...your-help.html
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by hcliu View Post
    What I meant by my statement is that I'm more worried about getting stabbed at McDonalds for my Big Mac than I am sitting in a classroom.
    Yes.

Though, one thing we all need to keep in mind when considering the ability to defend attack is that attacks can happen anytime, anywhere.

The reason to allow carry on campus for adults otherwise legally allowed to do so is:
    • Attack might happen going to campus.
    • Attack might happen on campus.
    • Attack might happen coming from campus.

That's far more time than simply sitting in a classroom, and it encompasses risk for visitors who won't be seeing the inside of a class as well.

Suffering through a mass, VT-like massacre is simply so statistically unlikely as to be practically irrelevant as a consideration. However, plenty of rapes, robberies and other hit-and-run type attacks occur on campuses all over the country. It's these that worry me. The amount of time spent on campus and the related risk is hardly rated merely by classroom time. Rather, it's the sum total of all time spent on and near campus, whether coming from, going to or being on campus.

Viewed another way, when I was a student walking around campus for my degree, I could spend 60-90mins in a given day walking somewhere. That's a lot of time and a lot of potential attack zones where a criminal could decide to approach and commit a crime.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    ... House Bill 32 , sponsored by Delegate Bob Marshall (R-13), would allow full-time faculty at a public higher educational institution in the Commonwealth of Virginia to carry a concealed firearm on campus, as long as they have a valid concealed handgun permit.
    That's great. So long as students would not be expelled and faculty/staff would not be fired as a result, then Virginians would be getting somewhere. And, by extension, all of us. Without legally barring expulsion and firing, of course, it's little more than lip service to the vast majority of people who come near a campus.

Good luck when the session is held, next week (when weather improves).

When I was deciding where to attend school when I got out of the Marines, this was a very important factor. So thats why I decided the University of Utah. Though that was probably going to be the choice anyway. As I understand the law, it is unlawful for a public school to ban carry by permit holders on campus, this includes classrooms.

I don't mean to rub it in......but I LOVE UTAH.
    USMC Sergeant
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Utah BCI Certified Instructor
    Utah Self Defense Instruction- Utah CCW, Discount NRA memberships/renewals
    Gun Blog,CCW News and Reviews

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Wow! I'd say there is a real pattern here...crime is EVERYWHERE!
    Why not, the BG's know that it is a gun-free zone.

^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^

Kind of sucks forcing college students to be used as canon-fodder;

Much like the old saying, "like shooting ducks in a barrel,"

Barrel is only so big and the "DUCKS" are very restricted as to how big the barrel,"CAMPUS" is

Martin Luther King, Jr.:
    Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because one's conscience tells one that it is right.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Kind of sucks forcing college students to be used as canon-fodder
    Our children are our future.

Our most important asset is our people.

Our ...

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yes.

The reason to allow carry on campus for adults otherwise legally allowed to do so is:
    • Attack might happen going to campus.
    • Attack might happen on campus.
    • Attack might happen coming from campus.

That's far more time than simply sitting in a classroom, and it encompasses risk for visitors who won't be seeing the inside of a class as well.

Suffering through a mass, VT-like massacre is simply so statistically unlikely as to be practically irrelevant as a consideration. However, plenty of rapes, robberies and other hit-and-run type attacks occur on campuses all over the country. It's these that worry me. The amount of time spent on campus and the related risk is hardly rated merely by classroom time. Rather, it's the sum total of all time spent on and near campus, whether coming from, going to or being on campus.

Viewed another way, when I was a student walking around campus for my degree, I could spend 60-90mins in a given day walking somewhere. That's a lot of time and a lot of potential attack zones where a criminal could decide to approach and commit a crime.
    I agree! Being a female, I feel I am more at risk while walking between buildings, and to and from parking lots.

I think crime is a major problem on any major college. The college I went to seemed like it had at least 1-2 crimes against students per week. Hopefully CCW will be allowed on campus one day, after all we are all adults aren't we?

I think it is also not always obvious how dangerous a campus is. I go to a college in the Bronx, because of the security most crimes happen off campus. So far there has been one reported crime of campus this semester, and that was when an individual let a strange into their apartment who stole some items. Honestly I worry more about my Girlfriend at UMass Amherst, then anyone hear. Interestingly most of the crimes that happen off campus are perpetrated against males instead of females. For this I personally give credit to the credence that seams prevalent hear of “ Women do not walk at night alone, someone is going whit them”. It might sound sovenistic but I think it has keeps the crimes down.

Armed Robbers Hit Twice Near Georgia Tech

Armed Robbers Hit Twice Near Georgia Tech
    Robberies Were Just Blocks Apart

ATLANTA -- Police are investigating two armed robberies that took place near the Georgia Tech campus late Sunday night.

The robberies came just three days after a woman was stabbed multiple times in an attack near the Tech campus.

In the first incident Sunday night, a man told police that just after 11 p.m. he was walking on Ethel Street between Snyder Street and Hirsch Street when a man with a gun jumped out from behind a bush.

The gunman robbed the victim, then hit him in the head.

The victim described the gunman as a tall, black male wearing a black nylon do-rag on his head.

The victim told police the robber escaped in a dark-colored luxury vehicle, possibly a BMW or Mercedes, heading south toward 10th Street. Two other men were in the car, according to the victim.

A few minutes later, officers responded to a second robbery at Hirsch Street and Calhoun Street in the same neighborhood.

In that case, two victims said they were walking on Hirsch Street when they were approached by two men asking for cigarettes. When the victim said they didn't have any cigarettes, the robbers pulled a gun and demanded cash.

The victims said one of the robbers was a tall, black male wearing a black nylon do-rag.

The victims told police the robbers drove toward 10th Street in a black or blue Acura or Mitsubishi.

Anyone with information about the robberies should call Crime Stoppers Atlanta at 404.577.8477.

In the attack on Thursday, an assailant stabbed a woman six times as she left the Firehouse Subs restaurant on 10th Street.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links