Pulled over tonight

Pulled over tonight

This is a discussion on Pulled over tonight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pulled over tonight by CSPD for turning right on red tonight after my wifes birthday party. Handed over CHL and advised LOE I was armed. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pulled over tonight

Pulled over tonight by CSPD for turning right on red tonight after my wifes birthday party. Handed over CHL and advised LOE I was armed. He said he didn't need the CHL and I was good. We chatted for a minute and then he let me go. Thought I'd share that CSPD gave me no problems for being armed

GM
    Glad that it ended well . Although not required in FL, I always inform that I am carrying a firearm.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Alf87 View Post
    Pulled over tonight by CSPD for turning right on red tonight after my wifes birthday party. Handed over CHL and advised LOE I was armed. He said he didn't need the CHL and I was good. We chatted for a minute and then he let me go. Thought I'd share that CSPD gave me no problems for being armed
    Is it against the law to turn right on red after a birthday party?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Is it against the law to turn right on red after a birthday party?
    The number of smart-aleck answers......

At least I wasnt drinking tonight. Of course I wouldnt have been driving or carrying if that was the case.

VIP Member
    Gee, that's amazing! I mean, there's those here who swear you'll jacked up and treated like a criminal for showing your permit to a LEO!

Seriously, glad it went well... it usually does!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

For a right on red?

That caught my attention more than the 'non-issue' of you sidearm.
    Good encounter.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

So...was it a 'no turn allowed on red' intersection?

At least the cop didn't have your gun taken apart with the ammo put into the trunk until he left the scene...that's good.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good deal. I always inform. Besides, it's a requirement here in SC. I'd want the LEO know from the get-go that I'm armed rather than accidentally find out during the stop. LEOS tend to react to unforseen weapons on your person.

Glad it worked out.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

BugDude* makes note to self not to turn right on red after a birthday party*
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thought I'd share that CSPD gave me no problems for being armed
    Not to be a jerk but, I live here. A few years back there were several accidents in a short time that were directly caused by running a red light and the City Council cracked down.
    They took all discretion away from the Officer, the Officer had to ticket for it. They made it a mandatory court appearance and an automatic 100$ fine and 4 points off your license.

FWIW if you turn right on red W/out coming to a complete stop here it’s “running a red light” (ask me how I know)

While the city denies it, traffic enforcement has long been about revenue in this town.(10$ a mile for every mile over the limit) It isn’t uncommon for the police to station 7 to 10 cars on a given road and pull people over right and left. I have come around the corner and counted 10 CSPD cars each W/ some one pulled over all writing tickets. A friend once watched a speed trap for an hour and counted 50+ cars pulled over and ticketed.

Bottom line I think the fact that the OP work for the County Sheriff had something to do W/ his not getting a ticket. I also believe that this had some bearing on his not getting a hard time about the gun (I've had CSPD look me squre in the face and tell me a permit was required to take a hand gun out of your house period)
    Last edited by Treo; February 4th, 2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Restatment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    It isnít uncommon for the police to station 7 to 10 cars on a given road and pull people over right and left.
    I-25. Anywhere. After 9PM.

Treo, it was at the corner of Tejon and Platte. I never go that way but after dinner at the Melting Pot downtown, I headed that direction to head out east to go home. I came to a complete stop, blinker on and when it was clear I turned right. CSPD was parked directly acrossed the street and immediatley turned the lights on and pulled me over. I didn't know right on red wasnt allowed at this light but it's my fault because I honestly didnt see the sign "No right on red". Of course this is only one of a few intersections in C.S. you cant turn right on red, most others you can. The officer was extremely nice and didn't have a clue who I was or that I worked at the Sheriff's office.

I think the fact that I treated the Officer with respect, informed him of my CHL and that I was armed while keeping my hands always in sight, we were all dressed up to the nines with my wife holding birthday baloons and flowers, and most importantly just being honest and respectfull with him all contributed to not getting a ticket.

The fact is, I broke the law at that intersection and got pulled over for it and got a warning. As for the speed traps you talk about, all 50 cars your friend counted were breaking the law and got pulled over for it. It doesnt make sense to have police around and not expect them to do their jobs whether it's out on patrol or making their presence known "on a given road" where people are speeding.

There is a bigger picture to think about when you may see a few patrol cars focusing on traffic in one specific area. I'm positive its not revenue motivated but 100% safety motivated. You may not agree with me but I have ridden patrol and sat in on shift change, listened to the briefings and know what the exact motives are for hightening patrols in a given area. This is a fact but anyone can freely believe the motives are different.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf87 View Post
    because I honestly didnt see the sign "No right on red". Of course this is only one of a few intersections in C.S. you cant turn right on red
    Ah, that's why people were curious. You didn't mention that there was a sign, and since (like you said) it's uncommon for places to have that sign, we were confused.

In that case, sounds like a good stop and +1 for both parties.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links