Brutal, mind-numbing recoil from my 442! - Page 4

Brutal, mind-numbing recoil from my 442!

This is a discussion on Brutal, mind-numbing recoil from my 442! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As the OP, I am reading that many people are recommending the Pachmayr Decelerator grips for the 442. I already have the Hogue Monogrips on ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Brutal, mind-numbing recoil from my 442!

Question

As the OP, I am reading that many people are recommending the Pachmayr Decelerator grips for the 442. I already have the Hogue Monogrips on my 442, which do cover the backstrap. (I needed this thick rubber backstrap coverage not only for recoil reduction, but also because of my large hands/long fingers and the all-to-short reach to the snubbie's trigger).

So, are you guys saying that the Decelerators are significantly better than the Monogrips in reducing recoil?

Thanks,

-Bill

This is a picture of the rear of the Monogrips.
    The Pachmayr's cover more of the backstrap. It may also be that it just changes the grip angle some.
    It may or may not help, but at about 35 bucks, it doesn't break the bank and is probably worth a try before trading the gun.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

.357 2" barrel 185gr HPs not particullary fun to shoot but manigable just practice and learn to control the recoil and snap of it

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wormtown View Post
    The Pachmayr's cover more of the backstrap. It may also be that it just changes the grip angle some.
    The Monogrip for the 642 completely covers the backstrap, not as the one in your pic... The Pachmayr grips don't cover anymore of the backstrap, but they are bigger and will fit a larger hand better than the Monogrip...I have both...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Hand dimensions must have a lot to do with perceived recoil. I have wrists like a tree limb and very thick hands. I've actually removed my factory 442 rubber grips and put on old school S&W small thin wooden grips. Smaller grips seem more comfortable for me and in my case do not impact my perceived recoil. I can certainly understand how someone with long thin fingers would find it difficult to grip a small snub comfortably.

I shoot my 442 regularly both one handed as well as two. I usually put 100 rounds through it per trip to the range. Rapid fire back on target seems fine. Some of my shooting buddies think it is brutal are done with it after one cylinder, but they are taller and slimmer. They have no problem shooting a G23 40 caliber, but there is more handle to grip for their hand build. I enjoy shooting very compact guns...they don't. I guess now I know why.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by wormtown View Post

It may or may not help, but at about 35 bucks, it doesn't break the bank and is probably worth a try before trading the gun.
    Hi Wormtown,

Actually, this is a picture of the Hogue Monogrips that I use (taken from a pic on their site), and it fully covers my 442's backstrap with mucho rubber. (The picture you show, coincidentally, is exactly the same Hogue Monogrips that I use on my Python for a better grip on that big Colt).

-Bill
    Attached Images

I shoot 50 rounds a week of WWB 130 Gr FMJ (Standard Pressure) through my 640 and 642 (50 rounds in each) The guns are carrying the standard "extended grips" (the ones that come on the 640,) I have no problem at all handling the recoil and I am an old codger with arthritis. I think somebody is gripping the gun wrong or is way too recoil conscious to be carrying a .38 or 9MM size handgun.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    I shoot 50 rounds a week of WWB 130 Gr FMJ (Standard Pressure) through my 640 and 642 (50 rounds in each)
    SNIP
    I think somebody is... way too recoil conscious to be carrying a .38 or 9MM size handgun.
    Hi WJH2657,

But as your signature line so wisely says, " A man has got to know his limitations!", and I think I've met my limitation when shooting 15oz .38spl snubbies! But I am also somewhat mitigating that limitation by using low recoil rounds (as well as by using large, soft after-market Monogrips).

And at least I'm not tempted to go back to my original carry gun that I carried in the mid 90's, which was a really cute little Beretta Model 21 in .25ACP. (It may not be a .45 ACP, but at least it's an ACP! )

-Bill

I'd try out a Glock 26 too. Yes it is a semi-auto but it is probably the most reliable one. It also has a form factor that is close to a snubbie. Recoil will be much more manageable.

SP101s are better at recoil too if you want to stick with revolvers.

It is interesting that in another thread we have been discussing Does Recoil Matter? Obviously, it does!

I bought ONE box of .357 magnum bullets, just to see how they shoot through the barrels of my Smith & Wesson Model 60 snub-nosed revolver, and my bigger Ruger SP 101 [with a longer barrel]. I know that these are not fun guns, unlike those that I prefer to shoot at longer ranges. I haven't shot those .357s yet.

This is one of reasons why I bought the Ruger LCR. I rented both a S&W J-frame and LCR prior to buying and shot them back to back with the same loads. The difference in felt rcoil was night and day. S&W felt like someone was kicking me in the hand. While I wouldn't say the Ruger didn't have any recoil, it certainly does not hurt, even after shooting 100 rounds.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aric
    A snubbie requires a completely different grip than a fullsize revolver.
    I can't explain it but Jerry Miculek can.
    http://www.myoutdoortv.com/pdk/web/s...manhJ0KNWQYqM4

try it and you just might fall back in love with that airweight.

+1
    I did this exact thing when I recently got my 642 for a backup, tried this grip immediately and had no problem with accuracy
    the only issue I had with my j-frame was the stock grips didn't cover the backstrap and that metal frame in direct contact with the hand was noticeable
    so I did exactly what QK says here:

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Try the Pachmayr Decelerator (recoil absorbing) grips.
    I love these grips, fits my hand so much better and still allows me to carry it concealed properly
    another advantage....these grips allow me to get a proper grip when drawing much more easily than the stock grips with the size of my hands, AND my speedloaders don't get stuck on them like on the stock grips
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Bill,

If you are having issues with the recoil of standard pressure .38 ammo, I think the Pink Lady Undercoverette may be the option for you.

I suggest you try to shoot some DoubleTap .357 magnum loads out of a Scandium or lightweight revolver.... If you survive the blast, you will realize your .38 is not bad at all.... It's all a matter of context.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    Even though I am a 6' 1" and 155 pound male, I think I may be a wimp (or worse): Today, for the first time in a long time (I am embarrassed to admit), I finally went to the range and fired my S&W Airweight Mdl 442 EDC carry gun, with Hogue monogrips.

My 442 was fed with run-of-the-mill .38SPL 132GR FMJ's by PMC; we are talking non +P's here.

Now, I shoot my Colt Python regularly, as well as my wife's Stainless Centennial intermittently, both while using .38SPL rounds of all sorts. (The Python is a joy to shoot, while the stainless Centennial is somewhat harsh, but still very "survivable").

I realize that firing a 15oz .38SPL would not be pleasant, but I didn't quite realize just how unpleasant: it was downright painful, and I was actually in fear that I was about to sustain nerve damage to my hand if I shot more than a few rounds. (I don't even want to think about what would happen if I tried shooting my normal +P Hydro-Shock carry ammo!! )

Since I'm really concerned about shooting my Airweight again, I have come up with some possible solutions:

1. Hit my wife over the head and steal her stainless 23oz 640 Centennial snubby (but this might involve the police and a costly divorce).

2. Begin carrying my 4" blued 42oz Python (may require a suspenders to support the gun's extra weight , and it would also be hard to find IWB holsters for, and it may be hard to conceal properly).

3. Switch to Hornady's 110gr 'Critical Defense' FTX or Federal's 110gr 'Personal Defense' Hydra-Shock, both being low recoil .38SPL ammo. (Problem: Almost impossible to find in stock , and when found has a heavy shipping charge for even a single box).

I feel that Choice 3 is probably my best bet (even though Choice 2 is tempting from a macho perspective). Any thoughts on the viability/advantages to either Choice 2 or 3 above? (Or should I just admit that I may simply have the stamina and strength of an average bedridden 95 year old grandmother? Or maybe I should just buy a .32H&R Charter Arms "Pink Lady Undercoverette" model and be done with it? )

But ending on a serious note, are there other hyper recoil-sensitive shooters out there who are enormously bothered by the recoil of alloy guns? Your solutions? (Now I think I know why so many people have not fallen for the new feather-weight gun "fad", and still go all-steel only!!)

Best,

-Bill

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I got rid of my two airweight/ultralite snubbies for exactly this reason....I now enjoy shooting my M36 Chief special a lot more due to being 14 oz. heavier than the ultras....and +p's are no problem....I usually carry Buffalo bore and have shot enough thru it to know what to expect...but I do a heck of a lot of practice...about 200 rounds a week, with SWC or WC lite loads.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

Of course shooting harder kicking loads will not do anything to make the .38 Spl easier to shoot.
    It is important to note that various people have varying tolerances to recoil. Even if there is little or no pain the nerves cause some to flinch. It is not a matter of being a sissy.

Just take into account the level of recoil you can tolerate, and stay below that with the gun and ammo. It is very true that the heavier gun tames recoil more than a light one. Asteel J frame is easier to shoot than the 642.

It is immaterial to me whether or not someone's 13 year old daughter can handle a .44 Mag. I cannot, so I don't carry one unless it would be in bear country.

Regards,
    Jerry

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links