Are night sights useful for CCW?

This is a discussion on Are night sights useful for CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by swatspyder What about the guy that is hiding in the dark and can see you, or technically the 3 bright green dots ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are night sights useful for CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by swatspyder View Post
    What about the guy that is hiding in the dark and can see you, or technically the 3 bright green dots on your firearm?

Just something to think about.

Seriously? What are the odds of that?!
    He'd have to be behind my bed, and there's like 3 inches of space there. I think I can take care of anyone who fits in there.

Nobody will be hiding in the dark of my house without me knowing they got in first. Our first class alarm + dog would make sure of that. However, it's when they just entered and the alarm is on and blaring, or my wife thinks someone is trying to get in that I'm getting my Glock to check it out. In particular, if I think someone is outside working on a window or whatever to get inside, I don't want to turn on my light.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by swatspyder View Post
    What about the guy that is hiding in the dark and can see you, or technically the 3 bright green dots on your firearm?

Just something to think about.
    You don't think a flashlight will instantly draw his attention?

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I think there's a lot of misconceptions about low light gun fighting and the proper use of night sights in this thread.

You guys can start on page one of this article if you want, but I'm gonna post directly to page 3, since it covers the LIE principle.

pistol-training.com Handgun Low Light Essentials (p3)

Call me crazy, but since accuracy opens way up under stress and in the dark (or low light) versus what I can shoot during the day, I'd say a set of sights I can see after I've 1. Located and 2. Identified my target with quick bursts of white light (and moved in between each burst) and then am attempting to 3. Engage (with my light off - guess I need those night sights now...) would be pretty important. But to each their own - I'd prefer to have the training AND gear needed (which would be a white light AND a set of night sights).
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

As for me they don't fit my job description... civilian, i don't like anything illuminating my position and/or allowing me to become a target.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsite View Post
    As for me they don't fit my job description... civilian, i don't like anything illuminating my position and/or allowing me to become a target.
    They aren't nearly bright enough that they are going to give your position away.

Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    They aren't nearly bright enough that they are going to give your position away.
    Sorry for not completing my post... i was speaking of lasers, i have the standard white dots on my Glocks, i never found the need for anything else, if someone likes night sight or feels they need them... go for it.

I have them on nearly all my large carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsite View Post
    As long as you are heading to the target (not away from it), the target shouldn't be able to see the night sights. I know you can't see mine from the front.

I think they are very useful. I've been shooting a lot at night lately and when it's completely dark out, you can't see your sights if they are not tritium. Your rods take over at night and when you take a shot, you are not always going to hit exactly where you're aiming.

I carry a G23 and I had Sevigny sights (plain rear/F.O. front) on it. I have an X300 attached as well. Even when you turn on the light, if there is no reflection (bouncing off a wall or something of that nature) you still can't see your sights well. I now carry the Warren 2-dot night sights on my G-23 and I still have the X300 attached. I feel much more comfortable with them.

I strongly recommend that if no one has shot a firearm at night, that you do so. See what happens and learn from it.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

I never used to use um, but I have um on my G26 and like the fact that they're there. Will they make the difference in a gunfight, well for me that's where I differ from the majority. It depends on how the gunfight goes down i.e. surprise attack, or a casual encounter. If the BG jumps out and starts the assault, I'll draw my pistol as fast as possible and point the muzzle and fire away. No sights, lights, scream needed. Would they have made any difference in that scenario, IMO, NO. The end result hopefully will be, BG 0, GG 1. If the conditions are set for low light and I come up on something that would justify me my drawing my weapon and methodically going into a defensive stance then yes, I can see them being very useful. i.e. Home invasion while in the middle of the night, and of course other scenarios could always apply as well. YMMV.

GBK
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; February 6th, 2010 at 09:17 AM.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    If you have been reading SD situations through the years you'd find there have been defensive situations where Night Sights would have made NO difference and there have been a few that Night Sights would have or would have helped.

Depends on what you find yourself confronted with. Most situations probably wouldn't need them but there "might" be a situation in the future that having them would make a difference.

Same with lasers. Some situations wouldn't matter while there may be some that it could.
    For God, Family and Country!

from a person that has been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. when it hits the fan you will not see your rear sites or see the little red dot. you will go into fight or flight mode. you will point shoot. you might see your front sights if you are lucky. that is if you get your gun all the way up. do i have them on my guns? yes, they came that way. yes, they were issued to me with the duty gun. if the gun comes with them, good. if not i would spend the money for ammo. range time will give you more than any nite sights or that little red dot could.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have Meprolight night sights on most of my pistols because they are the brightest sights.

I like green on green, they are brighter. Meps are OEM on Glocks.

MeproLightNightSights.com: Meprolight Night Sights & More
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Quote, Leon Harrison: "If you are far enough away to aim your gun, you are far enough away to run." and "Are you defending yourself, or are you looking for trouble and an excuse to shoot?"

I shoot at an indoor range where I can operate the lighting as I want it,we have shot with a light 50 yards behind the target and with no lights on in the range,just office lighting showing thru the observation window,We shot a lot better with guns with night sights versus ordinary sights,and actually had some misses at 10 yards with the guns with standard sights.Now at 5 yards I can shoot from the waist and put every round COM,once you start moving the target back my shots open up without seeing at least the front sight
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links