Are night sights useful for CCW?

This is a discussion on Are night sights useful for CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted this in the middle of another thread, but thought I'd put it in its own. For a CCW weapon that you are going ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are night sights useful for CCW?

I posted this in the middle of another thread, but thought I'd put it in its own.

For a CCW weapon that you are going to use quickly and probably more of a point and shoot, how useful are night sights? I'm getting some put on my M&P9c in a few days, but also have a CT laser grip. I was pretty impressed how tight my groups were the first time I shot with them. In a real world situation, do you have time to take aim with the sights? It seems like in that situation the laser might be more useful, aside from just the deterrent factor of the red dot on the guys chest. Not saying that you should count on the laser as a deterrent, just that it can help add some deterrence to the gun itself.

Having never been in the situation, I don't know the answer to my question. It just seems like I'm not going to say, wait Mr. Badguy while me align my sights and that you'd want to be more focused on the threat than on your sights. Although granted for the distance that most of these encounters occur you likely wouldn't need the sights anyway.

From reading around, I think a lot of the general idea is anything that can help. is not a bad idea. They will probably help your target acquisition, and in turn be able to land your shoots where you want them.

If anything they may help you become a better shooter which will help in those point and shoot situations.

My Glock came with Trijicon's already installed. Wasn't something i was looking for necessarily, but sure glad i have them. In any low light situation it's nice to have them on there. The laser is a nice option too...but batteries can go dead. Once you have them, you'll understand.

My Kimber .45 has them, and I would not want any different. I am in the process of night sighting all my cwp's as funds allow. Not cheap, but nothing is these days. Well worth the investment.

They can't hurt. I might not have time to get off a properly aimed shot, but if I do, I want the advantage of glow-in-the-dark sights. I do NOT like LASERs. My eye/mind gets fixed on making the dot line up EXACTLY where I want it and holding it there through the trigger pull.

I like being able to see my front sight in low-light...with tru-glo TFOs
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

cj
    A lot depends on how you were trained. Many schools teach use of the sights even for SD situations. That, combined with the high percentage of incidents which occur in low-light situations, night sights seem like a good bet.

I believe it's telling that every instructor I've known uses them. I like lasers as well, but I don't want to rely on them them as they just aren't as reliable as sights.

Can't hurt, really. I don't think they help much either, though.

Face it, if it's too dark to see your sights, it's too dark to ID your target. If it's light enough to ID your target, it's light enough to see your sights. I have them on my carry guns, but I surely wouldn't add them to a pistol that didn't come with them unless the original sights broke, etc.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    Face it, if it's too dark to see your sights, it's too dark to ID your target. If it's light enough to ID your target, it's light enough to see your sights.
    Unfortuntly that is a fallacy that is offed repeated by folks that just haven't been in the right situations, I've been it the right situations twice, I know there are times you can ID your target perfectly well and not have a sight picture. Now we are talking about seeing your night sight against a visible target, because as you know, this will shortly devolve into an argument of night sights vs flash lights, two completely different scenarios.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    Can't hurt, really. I don't think they help much either, though.

Face it, if it's too dark to see your sights, it's too dark to ID your target. If it's light enough to ID your target, it's light enough to see your sights. I have them on my carry guns, but I surely wouldn't add them to a pistol that didn't come with them unless the original sights broke, etc.

Dan
    In no light, if you're using your white light to ID your target, and then turning it off, the night sights will help you line up on your target...

Also, in low light I may have enough light to ID my target (or locate a previously ID'd target), but can't see my sights (especially if they have no dots) without night sights...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Have you seen any statistics comparing low light defensive scenarios compared to out on the street broad daylight scenarios? You don't have to search far....just ask some of our law enforcement members which is more prevalent in their experiences.
    Other than that, figure statistics on SD scenarios outside under the sun compared to SD scenarios indoors under adequate or inadequate artificial lighting.
    To answer your question.....yes.

Night sights make point shooting in dim light or darkness very possible......actually, all one needs is the front night sight.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Night sights make point shooting in dim light or darkness very possible......actually, all one needs is the front night sight.
    +1

Even at very close range, I like at least a flash of the front sight....unless of course we're pressed against each other. At 3 to 10 yards I can shoot off the front sight alone and with decent accuracy.

All of my guns have night sights and I wouldn't have it any other way. OD said it right. Also, if you're being attacked in a VERY low light situation, there's a good chance you'll know where your attacker is. Same goes for the home. Night sights will let you know where your front sight is.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Almost all of mine have night sights on them. Yes, they are a big benefit, even in your house at night when many lights might not be on.

Cool

I use the Crimson Trace laser on my carry Kahr CW9. Pretty perfect.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links