Possibly moving to MD!

Possibly moving to MD!

This is a discussion on Possibly moving to MD! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live on TX and have my CHL. I may be getting a job in Maryland and understand it's a "shall issue" state, but getting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly moving to MD!

Possibly moving to MD!

I live on TX and have my CHL. I may be getting a job in Maryland and understand it's a "shall issue" state, but getting a permit without documented threats, or the proper profession is next to impossible. Any suggestions on how to get the permit?

Thanks
    RussellB
    Last edited by russellb; February 4th, 2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Welcome to the board Russell.

It is functionally improbable and very well close to impossible to get a carry permit in MD.
    Run a search here as it's a very well known and long time item of not gonna happenism...Unless you happen to be a politically connected person of means.

You would be much better off looking at Northern VA for potential residence and entertaining the option commute into MD via The Beltway (I-495 VA).
    But even still carry on body and car storage as into MD is _not lawful_ and very strictly enforced through criminal prosecution.

Many of us are DC, MD, and VA natives.
    I am a DC native born & bred, schooled in MD and currently my business is based in VA. I live in MA.
    MA is far better than MD as 2A rights goes. Yes, Massachusetts! Think about that for a moment.

Congrats on the new job and best of luck with your relocation.

- Janq is resident licensed in VA
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Janq is right. Very difficult to impossible to get a MD permit. Having your residence in VA and commuting would at least allow you to be protected around your home. Also, if I'm not mistaken, I think I read somewhere about a proposed MD law that would allow permits from neighboring states to be honored in MD. Am i crazy or is that something in the works? If that's true maybe it could create a loophole for you.

Good luck with the move.

Wow, bummer Russell. MD would be a huge cultural change, period. Will you be moving a family as well?

Just curious, anyone....how is MD classified as a 'shall issue' state if it's that restrictive? Have there been no court challenges?

And welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by 9MMare; February 4th, 2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: remembered manners and added welcome
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Thanks guys for your feedback. I'm originally from VA and have lived in MD before. My thoughts are to live in DE where I can get a permit and/or have my TX permit be recognized. If things go as planned, I'll convert my resident permit to a non-resident one and at least be good in VA and DE.
    Thanks again.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Where in Maryland? Delaware honors a TX license, and I've seen in the newspaper while I was visiting that people do get them issued. (You have to put it in the newspaper IIRC.)

PA is also more gun-friendly, if it's closer. Perhaps West Virginia? Is the job near any bordering state?

Job would be in Ocean City, so Delaware beach area would be acceptable & they recognize the TX permit. I have a few connections in the OC local govt. that may be able to assist...keeping my fingers crossed for the job first then will worry about the permit.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Yeah, I think folks have it covered.

Generally, the only way for a "normal person" to get a permit in Maryland is to submit the 27 page (only a slight exaggeration!) application and have documented proof of ongoing, substantial cash/check deposits. Self-defense is simply not a valid reason for the MD State Police to issue a permit, unfortunately.

PA, DE, and VA all have sensible reciprocity agreements. If there is any chance you would live in Pennsylvania, you can get a PA permit basically just by sending in a copy of your home-state permit, then just change the address after you move.

The main thing to know about Maryland is this: without a weapons permit in Maryland, the only way lawfully to transport firearms is unloaded and locked in the trunk, and only from allowed place to allowed place (home, place of business where you are allowed to have the gun, gun smith, gun range). You can not, as Janq pointed out, leave it in your car all day. You can not pack your range bag in the morning, go to work, and hit the range in the evening.

Good luck with the job and, if you have to end up in this state, welcome. But you are better off in a neighboring state...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Good to hear about the job, bad to hear it's in Maryland. When I took a job a while back In VT I moved from NY. There was a few places when I was looking for a job outside of NY that I absolutely would not consider and 2A rights were only a small portion of the deciding factor. Maryland was very high on that list, along with MA,IL,CA,CT,DC etc... coincidentally or not most of the states I would not consider happen to be gun Nazi states but that wasn't my deciding factor. I settled for VT and couldn't be happier, it's small, beautiful, good fishing and hunting, very pro 2A, and theirs plenty of good down home country folk, what else could you ask for?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

You should really consider living in northern Virginia! I lived in the area and know that I would live in Virginia over Maryland any day! You will probably not be happy in a state that has such conditions to carry. Good luck and take care if you move there!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Maine - If NOVA wasn't so far away I would. Three hour commute is a bit much.
    Russell
    XD9 Service
    XD9 SC

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

Per your updated info Russell...I agree with you that Delaware is a _no brainer_ primary choice to stake a home claim.

As you have been warned though just know and _never ever_ forget that you are not to bring arms into MD unless as Kazz noted going _DIRECTLY_ to the range, field to hunt, or a shooting sport event. Direct means bee line not making stops along the way to shop for groceries and pickup ammo from WalMart.
    Cased, unloaded (!), and locked as stowed in your car trunk or rear most area of your SUV.

Honest, it's like that in MD...And has been for some time on the order of decades. : (
    You will not be in Texas anymore.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by russellb View Post
    Maine - If NOVA wasn't so far away I would. Three hour commute is a bit much.
    Lol yeah...on a good day. If the bridge gets jacked up...that turns into a 6 hour commute.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I found the below post, via google, on the pafoa.org site. Maybe there's hope for the future, maybe.

Maryland: Legislation To Amend Concealed Carry Clearance

Immediate Action Needed

Thanks to your previous efforts, the bill to reform the language with which we will be able to exercise our right to self defense has a total of 42 sponsors and co-sponsors. We are pleased to report that Delegate Dan Riley (D - District 34A - Cecil and Harford) has submitted the bill and it now registered as HB470.

HB470 (To Date; has not been Crossfiled in the Senate) would repeal the requirement for the State Police to find that a person has a good and substantial reason for the issuance of a permit to wear, carry or transport a handgun. This would effectively let Maryland join the ranks of the vast majority of states who recognize the right to self-defense.

Now is where the hard begins and it is imperative that we move quickly since the hearing for the bill is scheduled for February 24 at 1pm

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by russellb View Post
    I live on TX and have my CHL. I may be getting a job in Maryland and understand it's a "shall issue" state, but getting a permit without documented threats, or the proper profession is next to impossible. Any suggestions on how to get the permit?

Thanks
    RussellB
    Have your application couriered to the Maryland State Police HQ by a leprechaun riding on a unicorn.

You've got a better chance of arranging the delivery than getting the permit.

On a more serious note, Maryland should be listed as a "won't issue" state. Permits are rarely issued to ordinary subjects - er, citizens.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links