They say 1911, but...

They say 1911, but...

This is a discussion on They say 1911, but... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always been don't ask, don't tell when it comes to face to face conversations on CC. If it comes up, depending on who I'm ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

They say 1911, but...

I've always been don't ask, don't tell when it comes to face to face conversations on CC. If it comes up, depending on who I'm talking to, I share that I CC. Most often this comes up when I'm with a group of crearly pro-gun crowd.

Several months ago, a group shared they carry, and two stated they only carried a 1911 because, "...they wanted enough gun." I overheard the conversation, but was not involved.

A few weeks ago, on they way to a lunch / dinner where the same general group would be, I brought it up with the person I was driving with. Again, I was not part of the main conversation, but the person I drove with called the two 1911 fans out (it was all friendly). One was carrying a small .380 ACP. The other had his 1911. However he admited, the 1911 was his CC dress up gun. What he carried after work and on weekends, but often something smaller during the work week.

Just opening a can of worms. With the endless polls on different forums, how factual do you think the information is concerning what a person states their EDC is?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Interesting about the 'enough gun'. There are many other .45 acp options that carry the same number or more rounds. (yes, I realize they make 1911s that take other calibers )

Can that statement also apply to single action? Of course there's the cachet of the 1911, but that still doesnt explain 'enough gun' to little 'ol moi.

And dont get me wrong...I have my eye on a Springfield EMP for carry in the future.....

As to what is 'factual' about what people claim about carrying....? Who knows? Not sure why it's important.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    ...Who knows? Not sure why it's important.
    Just wondering if what is stated about CC is actually wishful thinking or bravado.

When I say I carry every day, I carry every day. When I state I always have a firearm handy or on me, I do.

When I say I carry my snub as an EDC, it is factual, and I'm willing to bet most people who state they carry a snub as an EDC they are being honest. I'm to the point that I can't say I believe the same for those who state they carry something larger.

When I am with people, even pro-gun, I'm cautious to state what I think concerning CC. Normally I just state I support, for better (you can legally CC) or worse (in that I don't think a permit should be required) I support must-issue CC permit laws.

I don't like to share more, as others might intend to carry, but in reality, it is not every day. So you are conversing about an issue, considering the other person's thoughts, but in reality, it is hot air.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

People say lots of things. Is it important? Does it matter? No and no.

Bottom line. Give people room to be human.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

VIP Member
    EDC for me is every day with very few exceptions. I carry a Commander sized 1911 every day unless deep cover is necessary. That happens very rarely but when it does I carry my BUG in a SmartCarry.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    "Enough Gun", is whatever gun you carry in your pocket or on your belt...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Aside from the (important, IMO) basics of CC that you mentioned....I think the rest is like anything else...sometimes people think they have something to prove, or want to show off, or seem cool or more skilled....

So like anything else in life...YMMV

Kinda like wvshooter said.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Having carried smaller guns in the past as my "primary" and being in situations where I have wished I had a larger handgun, I have resigned myself to carrying the larger gun as a "primary"

I still carry the smaller gun, but as a BUG. If that's not believeable, I'm not too concerned, as we all make our own choices. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Having carried smaller guns in the past as my "primary" and being in situations where I have wished I had a larger handgun, I have resigned myself to carrying the larger gun as a "primary"

I still carry the smaller gun, but as a BUG. If that's not believeable, I'm not too concerned, as we all make our own choices. Take care and stay safe.

Biker
    may I ask what/why 'larger?' Is it to hold more ammo capacity? What caliber are you carrying?

Just curious. I'm trying to decide on what's an acceptable mag capacity for cc (for me)...currently I have a 17 round M&P....but feel it's too heavy and too wide. So starting to look at single stack 9mms......
    Fortune favors the bold.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I tend to carry the same gun all the time. I don't really like changing platforms and triggers. I don't have a little gun and I make do with my G23.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    may I ask what/why 'larger?' Is it to hold more ammo capacity? What caliber are you carrying?

Just curious. I'm trying to decide on what's an acceptable mag capacity for cc (for me)...currently I have a 17 round M&P....but feel it's too heavy and too wide. So starting to look at single stack 9mms......
    You can ask, and I'll even answer.

When I say "larger" I am not necessarily referring to the capacity. The smallest "primary" guns are the Hi Power, 1911, Glock 19 or 3" GP100. The 1911 sports a 5" Barrel BTW.

Those have been my EDC at different times in the past few years. For the past year or so it's been the Hi Power. Before that I was packing a 5" 1911 and I'm slowly rotating back to the 3" GP100. When I carry a .357 Magnum as a "primary" my SP101 does second gun duty, and I'll often have a third gun on my person as well.

I find that I shoot the larger guns better than their smaller brethren, and thus, if I have to use it for real I want every advantage I can get. With the exception of the 3" Revolvers I find that all of my guns could, and have been at some point in time, been used by uniformed officers as "Duty Weapons".

Sometimes I'll even mix it up a bit and carry a 5" 1911 and a 3" GP100 with a J-Frame. I haven't done that lately, but have in the recent past. For me it's about carrying what I'm most comfortable shooting. I look at the guns I own and ask myself one question, "If I knew I was going to be in a gunfight, and a handgun was all I could have, which one would I want to take to the fight?" That makes my choice for me.

I don't worry so much about capacity, as about accessability to a weapon. That's why I'm a fan of multi-gun carry. Either hand can reach a gun, at the minimum.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; February 5th, 2010 at 03:34 AM. Reason: typo

With what I do and where I go (I'm not a cop, cruisin' for BG's.), my Glock-36 is enough gun for me.
    When with a group of pro-gun, CCW'ers...talking about particular carry guns is interesting, and I enjoy sharing...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Once upon a time (decades ago) someone with whom I had been shooting at a borrow pit broke into my place and stole the four guns (rifle, pistol, revolver, and shotgun) I owned at the time (from a wall rack). Now when asked --among strangers -- what guns I have, I answer "oh, just an old .22 that's taken quite a few squirrels over the last four decades;" ... the truth, just not the whole truth.

Among a group of curious gun-friendly folks who carry, the answer is that I have a .45 (an XD) for carry.

I have a nice looking muzzleloader (good for hunting) on the wall at home which visitors sometimes notice, it's a harmless way to silently let them know I'm Pro-gun, but it's no one's business what might be on my hip or in my safe. I actually had someone ask whether I wasn't afraid a robber might use the [muzzleloading] gun from my wall to shoot me. "No, I'm not worried," I told them while wearing my concealed XD-45, "because it's not loaded."

So if someone mentions one gun but happens to wear another, well maybe all their cards aren't played face-up?

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    I love the 1911 , Hands down it is one of the finest pistols made(MHO) . However you have to be determined to carry it . Way to heavy for me, I like my pants on my waist. I know there are smaller versions, but I just can t see it all the time. By the way i am 300 lbs and conceal very well but I will stick with my Kahr for no matter the dress occasion. Just my 2 cents.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

"Enough gun" is relitive.

Myself, a 9mm(in any sized platform) is just enough gun. I carry a .40. I'm going to, eventually, get myself another 1911 platform because I not only love that gun but because it's still the best shooting model gun I have owned/shot. I sold my last one awhile back and regret it still.

"Enough gun", IMO, is the largest gun/caliber that you can conceal AND employ effectivly when needed (read: under stress). People may believe it's the gun it's self that's "enough".....and that arguement has merit.....but I don't worry about it as much as others might. Best I can read it's a group of guys shooting the breeze (pun intended) and 'talking' it up.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links