Entire Shopping Complex Posted No Carry(OH) - Page 3

Entire Shopping Complex Posted No Carry(OH)

This is a discussion on Entire Shopping Complex Posted No Carry(OH) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Swatspyder: It doesn't make feel any better or worse. Our Constitution is based upon people's rights. I seriously doubt you would be very happy if ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Entire Shopping Complex Posted No Carry(OH)

Swatspyder: It doesn't make feel any better or worse. Our Constitution is based upon people's rights. I seriously doubt you would be very happy if someone violated your rights. It is a two way street. Some states, like OH, have penalties for what you are proposing. I'll take the high road on this one.
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    There is a shopping complex near me that has about 20 stores. It is basically one big parking lot with stores all around. At each and every entrance to the parking lot there is a No Gun sign that says NO WEAPONS ON THESE PREMISES.

Is this sign legal? Can they do that? I guess it is their property so they can ban guns from the whole area if they want but they didn't even leave it up the the individual stores. (My walmart is in there )

Also raises the question about firearms in your car. I know they'll never know if its in there or not.

I thought Parking lots were still considered "roads" or something. I know you can get a ticket for speeding in a parking lot or wreckless driving. So if it's "public" they shouldn't be allowed to ban things.
    Well, if your gun in concealed how can they know you are carrying one? And if by chance you need to pull that weapon to defend yourself who cares what they think. I think the only thing they can do is ask you to leave... if you don't they could get you for trespassing maybe.
    -Kel-Tec P3AT .380 w/ Crimson Trace Laserguard and Clip Extension (summer carry)
    -Kahr PM9 9mm w/ Crimson Trace Laserguard and Clip Extension (new summer carry)
    -Glock 27 .40 w/ Crimson Trace Laserguard and Clip Extension (winter carry)
    -Taurus PT945 .45 (more or less retired from carry)

Quote Originally Posted by GTOGuy View Post
    Swatspyder: It doesn't make feel any better or worse. Our Constitution is based upon people's rights. I seriously doubt you would be very happy if someone violated your rights. It is a two way street. Some states, like OH, have penalties for what you are proposing. I'll take the high road on this one.
    There is no Right to override the 2A in order to feel Warm and Fuzzy in the Bill of Rights. It is our Right that is being trampled on by allowing these signs.

But I do agree with you that feigning ignorance is wrong. You know in your mind that you are breaking the law. Therefore you are a criminal plain and simple. You are no better then the people you carry a gun to protect yourself from. If you are going to feign ignorance Fine that is your choice, But don't pretend your not breaking the Law. (Law in Ohio anyway)

The Bible says All Sins are Equal.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

If you are carrying concealed I don't see a problem unless there is a threat of you being shot or knifed by a bad guy who probably can't read signs or could care less. Your safety is a lot more important then that sign.

you should feel safe not carrying on property that is posted no guns. after all, the sign applies to the bad guys too. i'm sure they disarmed as well before entering any of the stores at that shopping center.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    What sign?

If you are made all they can do is ask you to leave. If this is the case then leave immedietly, they can't detain you.
    Yes...lets just announce to any antigun nuts that might browse this forum that WE are the types to pretend the signs arent there even if we know they are....and even if we do acknowledge them we're going to ignore them anyway.

This is the sort of advice that makes us all look bad...

Taken from ORC 2923.126 Duties of licensed individual.
    Lawriter - ORC - 2923.126 Duties of licensed individual.

(3) (a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.

Ok, So I answered my own question about the parking lot.

The law says knowingly so you could feign innocence but its probly not a good idea to lie to the police.
    And thats just it...a LEO in a bad mood may not be interested in the excuse that we didnt do it 'knowingly'.
    People talk about bad cops on forums like this all the time...but then these same people seem like they dont mind poking the dog with a stick.

If theres a GB sign....dont take a gun on the property.
    If we're too stupid to or too stubborn and do it anyway, then we deserve whatever ill befalls us...including being arrested because the LEO isnt buying our story that we didnt 'know' the sign was there.

again....

what sign?

Oh I'm sorry I did not see the sign. I will leave immedietly, sorry for the trouble sir.
    Yeah....except that now youve just announced your poorly designed plan to hundreds of members of this forum and whatever antigun sort may be lurking here as well.
    Hell, Id turn ya in myself since your actions make the rest of us look bad in the public eye....

Quote Originally Posted by enk5 View Post
    lol nice. I'll have to keep that in mind when I go shopping there. Unfortunately, there are just too many stores in the complex to avoid it all together.
    Do yourself a favor...ignore ignorant advice.
    Its not worth an arrest and whatever else may come playing the ignorant card in hopes that a LEO and a judge are going to buy it.

Ive dealt with a few judges in my life and most of them arent dumb enough to fall for a line. They can see thru an act most of the time. Just ask my exwife.

Do the right thing. If you see a GB sign, obey it, even if its improperly posted. You cant be in the wrong if you make sure your in the right in EVERY scenario.
    Fighting the signs that dont belong or are improperly posted is something to handle thru correspondence and the law...not for some gun totin permit holdin vigilante who's trying to take on 'the man'....

Thank you Ruger SP101
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Thank you Ruger SP101
    I second this. Ruger you said everything I was going to so I'll let it be. If we break the rules then it might come to the point where we're not allowed to carry. I'm surely not going to let that happen to me.

They can prohibit in the parking lot as long as you meet the states requirement for concealed carry or transport in a vehicle. This was upheld by the Supreme Court. The stores they can, but even then its only trespassing. Only in trouble if your caught, concealed is concealed right?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    If you live in Ohio, you clearly do NOT.
    now now... the bank I go to does post, so does every credit union within 10 miles of my house. You got me on the bank. Not everyone posts gun ban signs. That is something I shouldn't have added to the list but I do spend time reading the CCW handbook and look up laws. While nobody is perfect, I do know the laws for which I can carry.

RugerSP101: I know that posted signs in Ohio carry legal weight. If the gun buster sign isn't right in front of me when I walk up to the door, I'm not going to go looking for one. If I am made in a business that has posted somewhere I didn't look and I am asked to leave. I LEAVE and I would not come back. I respect their wish to not have guns on the property even if they don't respect my wish to carry legally.

Just to set the record straight... I never see signs posted on the door but that does not mean I carry into banks, police, gov buildings and class D liquor license... Because all those are a concrete no-no; and is a great way to end up in doo doo. Know the law and pleading ignorance only works with places that would otherwise be OK to carry into.
    In Ohio there is no prohibition against carrying in a bank unless the bank has posted a sign. A bank is one of the places I would WANT to carry. We have to remember when posting or reading that members here are from many different states.

On the sign, it has to be conspicuous, and Ohio law is very specific and gives an example of what the sign should look like. I would check to see if the Mall sign meets those requirements. I would think a tiny sign by an entrance while I am consentrating on traffic is lacking.
    Help your own self - the Government is busy takin' care of itself!

Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreek View Post
    Ohio law is very specific and gives an example of what the sign should look like.
    Not "should look like", rather may look like. The example is simply an example and not a requirement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links