Entire Shopping Complex Posted No Carry(OH)

This is a discussion on Entire Shopping Complex Posted No Carry(OH) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a shopping complex near me that has about 20 stores. It is basically one big parking lot with stores all around. At each ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Entire Shopping Complex Posted No Carry(OH)

There is a shopping complex near me that has about 20 stores. It is basically one big parking lot with stores all around. At each and every entrance to the parking lot there is a No Gun sign that says NO WEAPONS ON THESE PREMISES.

Is this sign legal? Can they do that? I guess it is their property so they can ban guns from the whole area if they want but they didn't even leave it up the the individual stores. (My walmart is in there )

Also raises the question about firearms in your car. I know they'll never know if its in there or not.

I thought Parking lots were still considered "roads" or something. I know you can get a ticket for speeding in a parking lot or wreckless driving. So if it's "public" they shouldn't be allowed to ban things.
    Last edited by dsee11789; February 5th, 2010 at 01:40 PM.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Administrator
    I'm pretty sure they can... but it would be unenforceable. Out of curiosity, where is this shopping center if you don't mind saying... if you do, please ignore the question.
    "Just blame Sixto"

North East Ohio. It's called Montrose but it is right where Copley Township, Bath Township and City of Fairlawn meet.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    North East Ohio. It's called Montrose but it is right where Copley Township, Bath Township and City of Fairlawn meet.
    Ahh, I know the area well and know the exact shopping center you are talking about. I grew up in Copley/Montville Township/Medina area.
    "Just blame Sixto"

How is it posted? Are the individual stores posted?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by schwaa View Post
    How is it posted? Are the individual stores posted?
    I know the area as well. Individual stores aren't posted. It is on a small sign posted at every driveway entrance into the complex. If you aren't looking for it, it is very easy to miss.

Well I would fire off letters and emails to each store and to the property management co. but ultimately I would ignore the signs.

edit-add all the contact info you can get and I will send emails to the offenders as well.

The whole complex is most likely privately owned, including the parking lot. The stores probably just lease the spaces. And yes, they can prohibit you from carrying while on their property. In OH it is the owner's choice to allow or not to allow weapons.
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    What sign?

If you are made all they can do is ask you to leave. If this is the case then leave immedietly, they can't detain you.

Having the firearm secured in your vehicle in the parking lot would only be civil trespass.

They'd have to KNOW it was there AND ask you to leave. If asked to leave, you must do so, lest you be subject to arrest for criminal trespass.

Crocker Park in Westlake and Great Northern Mall in North Olmsted are the same way. If you put the gun in the glovebox before you go there, there's no way for them to know and no reason for them to ask you to leave.

In Ohio disobeying a no gun sign is a misdemeanor.

What if I'm in an accident in the parking lot. When the police come I have to (by law) declare my CCW. Then he knows I have my firearm and can therefore charge me with the crime if he wanted to.

As unlikely as it is. Its still a possibility. And we at DC try to prepare for everything.

In Ohio disobeying a no gun sign is a misdemeanor.

where does it say that?

What if I'm in an accident in the parking lot. When the police come I have to (by law) declare my CCW. Then he knows I have my firearm and can therefore charge me with the crime if he wanted to.

As unlikely as it is. Its still a possibility. And we at DC try to prepare for everything.

if you where in an accident I assume you arn't in a parking spot. for all they know you pulled in the lot to check a map right quick.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Perhaps list some/most of the stores here and we can inform each of the stores that we will not be shopping there due to the signs posted. Perhaps enough of us will get enough of the stores to complain to the property owners and have the signs removed?

where does it say that?
    Taken from ORC 2923.126 Duties of licensed individual.
    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126

(3) (a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.

Ok, So I answered my own question about the parking lot.

The law says knowingly so you could feign innocence but its probly not a good idea to lie to the police.

(3) (a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.

Ok, So I answered my own question about the parking lot.
    again....

what sign?

Oh I'm sorry I did not see the sign. I will leave immedietly, sorry for the trouble sir.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links