Done it twice now, what do you do? - Page 2

Done it twice now, what do you do?

This is a discussion on Done it twice now, what do you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bdog11 Being the plant manager doesn't make you any better than everyone else that works at the company. You should be treated ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog11 View Post
    Being the plant manager doesn't make you any better than everyone else that works at the company. You should be treated the same and get the same treatment as anyone else. My question is what would you do to reprimand someone carrying at work?
    That should help him remeber, i'll try to do that as well.
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

buy and IWB holster and tuck your shirt in. Problem solved....
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Put your office keys in you car safe. when you get to work you'll have to get your keys out reminding you to put your pistol in. After work, simply do the swap again.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

I don't get why some are giving the guy a hard time.

I put my hand on my hip and realized I was still carrying. I don't believe anyone saw my firearm, being it was OWB and most of my supervisors and I have worked together for many years, and they would have said something. There is a strict no weapons policy in my company, and being the plant manager, I am the one who would be responsible for enforcing the rule if an employee violated it.
    I can see nothing in the gents statement that should provoke the negative responses. He made an unconscious mistake and is asking for tips and suggestions to avoid it in the future.

My suggestion would be to start carrying the pistol while driving with the cross draw method. It's actually provides a better drawing position while seated in a vehicle and will be much more noticeable as you start to exit the vehicle. FWIW

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

On a positive note, you sure are comfortable with CC, and that's a good thing.
    Just the incident itself, will wake you up a bit, but there was really no harm done.

One time, I was entering a gov building and as I walked across the parking lot I remembered my CCW...I just walked back to the car, so I do understand how it can happen.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa View Post
    Put your office keys in you car safe. when you get to work you'll have to get your keys out reminding you to put your pistol in. After work, simply do the swap again.
    Well, this idea is pretty much fail-safe. I'm retired so I don't have work issues although I have entered certain areas and then remembered that I still have a gun on my person. Complacency can happen to any of us at any time.

Case in point: I recall as a LEO where I did the reverse. I entered my department through the lock-up where I had to remove my weapon and place it in a lock box. Later I walked into a coffee shop and I received a few stares. I was drinking my coffee and I was called on the portable to respond as a backup and got up and realized I had left my gun back at the station! So, it’s not just an aging mind that causes a memory lapse.

Fact is, wear or carry anything long enough, and you’ll occasionally forget about it. I believe that all of us have driven to the local store and then realized we left our wallet on the kitchen counter or somewhere else.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Office keys locked in the car safe seems like the best suggestion so far.

For the posters giving him a hard time about it. I'm glad your perfect and have never forgotten to do something. Wish I could say I've never forgotten something, or never made a mistake.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    + 1

Good thing I read all the post, before posting.

Keeping the office keys in you car safe anytime you are not at work will solve the job situation, but the courthouse, PO, etc might require an additional trick.

I've been considering a practice that a friend of mine uses.

He has a holster installed in his truck. Whenever, he gets in his truck he removes his pistol from his 3 o'clock OWB and place it in that holster, where it would be easier to draw. On getting out he re-holsters from the truck holster to the 3 o'clock OWB.

Once you have developed the practice of re-holstering every time you get in and out, it should trigger thinking about where you are going.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I don't get why some are giving the guy a hard time.

I can see nothing in the gents statement that should provoke the negative responses. He made an unconscious mistake and is asking for tips and suggestions to avoid it in the future.

GBK
    There is a strict no weapons policy in my company, and being the plant manager, I am the one who would be responsible for enforcing the rule if an employee violated it. .
    A few of us working stiffs have bosses that like to think the rules don't apply to them either. That's the reason for the negativity.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Excellent! Sometimes I wonder if I have a brain... So simple yet it never occurred to me to put the office key in Center of Mass cabled to the seat frame.
    I must confess I have done this 3 times in my career and 38 years of constant carry: First as an hourly = stupid, second as salary = stupid and the third as salary = discharged an employee for major theft, employee threatened to shoot me. I have been threatened before during dismissals but for some reason this time I was concerned, no make that scared, I can't quite describe it but something told me this was not just red faced bluster! Company's answer was to hand me the company manual on how to deal with threats which basically said no eye contact and be submissive and they will go away My G27 was with me NON STOP for the next two weeks. I did not OC but I didn't give much of a rats a$$ if it printed either. I continued to work for the outfit for another 5 years with no further mention of the incident.

I agree with some of the others, if you are between the rock and the hard place with no exit...make em hurt before you go down.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I like mikeprekopa's suggestion the best. I think that will work.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Ape
    First off...... Cudo's to you Joe for being a plant manager with a good outlook on personal safety. In the plant and out.
    I am a supervisor for the second shift at my plant, and we have a strict no weapons policy as well. And like you I've been absent minded a few times with my EDC when starting my shift.
    I just wish I had a plant manager who understood and appreciated CCW as you do. That being said I have no helpful reminders that anyone else hasn't already offered here. Other than to say the only time I take my rig out of my waist band while driving is on my way to work. However I don't put it in a console or glove box. I simply put it on the seat next to me. I have no desire to find myself fumbling for it if I (God forbid) ever needed it. In Colorado OC in and out of a car is perfectly legal without any need for a permit. Hopefully you live in a State that allows the same.

People are always looking and lurking and working and lying and spying and trying to rat you out, using any of many excuses, to get you fired before you cost the company or them too much money [with benefits] before you have a chance to retire. You have no defense concerning this, like my former union sisters and brothers and others who told and showed and and swapped and sold guns from their trunks out in the parking lots. They were fools, being warned about this nonsense and knowing the company rules.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey tiwee and y'all: This getting old stuff is getting real old. Tiwee uses stickums. My problem is going out CC and forgetting my CCWP. Now I place it right on my CCW and not just in my wallet. Suggest you keep your stickum or reminder right on that there weapon/holster--you put it on and there is the reminder. No surefire to do this so stick (pardon the pun) with us older folks---stick something on your nose if you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    A few of us working stiffs have bosses that like to think the rules don't apply to them either. That's the reason for the negativity.
    I can appreciate your point, but unless this guy is your boss, my point has merit too. I'm a boss as well as a working stiff as I answer to the owner of our company. I just think it's a little unfair to paint with such a broad brush, just cause (some have experienced it). I made my comment, but I wasn't trying to single anyone out, it was just an observation.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links