Done it twice now, what do you do?

This is a discussion on Done it twice now, what do you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Joeface My question is what do others do before exiting their vehicles at work to ensure their firearm is secured in their ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Done it twice now, what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Joeface View Post
    My question is what do others do before exiting their vehicles at work to ensure their firearm is secured in their vehicle and not being brought into work?
    Pay attention to what I am doing.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Keep your office key and car safe key on the same ring. When your armed the keys are in the car safe lock. When you disarm, you take the keys in with you. When you go out at night, you open the car safe, leave the keys in it and arm yourself.
    +1 for that. Get in the car and put the key in the safe, that way you can't get into your office without pulling the key out of the safe. Unless you have one of those combo safes, then you could just put the office key inside of it.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by bdog11 View Post
    Being the plant manager doesn't make you any better than everyone else that works at the company. You should be treated the same and get the same treatment as anyone else. My question is what would you do to reprimand someone carrying at work?
    Awesome post!!

As an employer myself, I have just made a new policy that only I know about. If I catch myself CCW, I get a $200 bonus that day. I love my new policy! Thanks for the incredible insight.

Look, he's not any "better" than anyone else, but he does get more perks by being the boss. That's life. Deal with it. Don't like it, work hard (go to school if needed) and start your own business or get promoted to management. Then you can get the same perks.
    To say he should reprimand himself as he would an employee is complete idiocy.

That would be like saying, if the employee CCW by accident, he should turn himself in. Would you? No. You'd find a way to disarm and secure your weapon somewhere... same thing here. Grow up now brother and try and make your energy positive and improve yourself. You're obviously an angry employee.

sounds like employees will get a warning for first offense since the line sup. got 2 warnings!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

^ +1
    That is what I was thinking myself. I would want a boss who carries so he could give me the "look" and I could correct my mistake. Now if he was to hold a double standard that would be wrong. Unfortunately I have nothing to add to answer the question as it looks as if everyone else has already beaten me to it.

I also forgot

11PM, night call out downtown, Federal building. I forgot and walked in with a PPK in an IWB holster. Was carrying a bunch of electronic gear and wearing the company hat.
    Buzzer went off. Guard asked Sir, are you armed. I said "yes, sir. I forgot and will put it in the truck." He said "check it with me, and you will get it back when you leave." I popped the mag (a PPK will not fire when the clip is out) and put the mag in my pocket. He said to my contact guy: "Hey, look at this, it's better than the one they give us"
    They did give it back and never asked for the CWP. Professionals.....
    I never forgot again.

No car safe, so the best I can do is take out the magazine (my SW 3913 has a magazine-disconnect safety) and put it - along with the spare mag - in my briefcase while the firearm hides in the trunk or under the seat. Then at least if the car is burgled, they get at most a temporarily inoperable gun - 3913 mags are hard to come by.

Same procedure applies when I find myself at a government office, school, or other "victim ready" zone in my state (MI).
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by
    Same procedure applies when I find myself at a government office, school, or other "[B
    victim ready[/B]" zone in my state (MI).
    "Victim ready" zone

I like the terminology

I know exactly where you are coming from.
    Working in a government facility for about 25 years, it is my habit to pat my self down before I walk thru the detectors. Yes, that is right, I pat my self front pockets, back pockets, jacket, etc. I make darn sure, that I am clean and there is no problem.
    I have often thought if I forgot something and an alarm went off, I could politely excuse myself back to the parking lot and the guards who are nice people would probably oblige me since I had not yet crossed any barriers.

Get in the habit of doing a self search. Nobody else is going to help you with this one.

My job also precludes me from carrying while at work. When I am getting ready to go on-duty, the first thing I do that morning when I get in my Expy is put my piece in my console and lock it away. That way I have access to it should I need it going to and from and it stays there until I get off-duty.

After that it's right back to "something in arm's reach at all times."
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    A few of us working stiffs have bosses that like to think the rules don't apply to them either. That's the reason for the negativity.
    To make the "working stiffs" feel better. I started out in the plant as a third shift maintenance man, worked my way to maintenance supervisor, then plant superintendent, then plant manager, on just a High School education. So get off the horse. I would expect to be fired if I was caught for violating a company rule, just as I would have to fire an employee that was found carrying on the job.
    I do like the idea of the safe key and office key being on the same ring. I do have a safe in the truck already, just as Retsupt99 stated, carrying has become very comfortable. Thanks for all the help and advice and abuse,
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I can appreciate your point, but unless this guy is your boss, my point has merit too. I'm a boss as well as a working stiff as I answer to the owner of our company. I just think it's a little unfair to paint with such a broad brush, just cause (some have experienced it). I made my comment, but I wasn't trying to single anyone out, it was just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeface View Post
    To make the "working stiffs" feel better. I started out in the plant as a third shift maintenance man, worked my way to maintenance supervisor, then plant superintendent, then plant manager, on just a High School education. So get off the horse. I would expect to be fired if I was caught for violating a company rule, just as I would have to fire an employee that was found carrying on the job.
    I do like the idea of the safe key and office key being on the same ring. I do have a safe in the truck already, just as Retsupt99 stated, carrying has become very comfortable. Thanks for all the help and advice and abuse,
    For the record I was just trying to answer the "why the negativity" question with my working stiff post. I'm glad you are prosperous and doing well. My shot across the bow on the first page was a wisecrack (with a hint of truth), but not meant to really hurt feelings. It was, however, uncalled for. For that I'm sorry.

Now, without being negative I would really like to express why I was being negative in my "Do as I say, not as I do post". I am going to try to be constructive but I think you may not like this. Here goes:

As the person in charge of enforcing rules that could get people fired you need to hold yourself to a higher standard.

You stated that you THINK (you don't really know) nobody noticed EITHER (more than once) time you were armed OWB at work. BUT...What if someone did see? They are going to think it's OK to carry at work because you carry at work. "Hey, no big deal the boss is a gun guy too. Yippee, I can carry now!" They don't know it's all a big mistake and when they get caught my guess is they'll get fired. When they get fired it will be your fault.

That is why I was upset. You're not my boss so I shouldn't be, but I am. I'm just trying to let you see the other side and that your mistakes could cost others. I hope if it ever comes up in your workplace you give the guy a free pass.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Car N Gun Guy
    I do own my own business and anyone working for me has the right to cc. I also have my shop posted with concealed carry welcome signs and I give my carrying customers a discount. I am no better than the next guy when it comes to the rules and I refuse to deal with any place that won't allow concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    For the record I was just trying to answer the "why the negativity" question with my working stiff post. I'm glad you are prosperous and doing well. My shot across the bow on the first page was a wisecrack (with a hint of truth), but not meant to really hurt feelings. It was, however, uncalled for. For that I'm sorry.

Now, without being negative I would really like to express why I was being negative in my "Do as I say, not as I do post". I am going to try to be constructive but I think you may not like this. Here goes:

As the person in charge of enforcing rules that could get people fired you need to hold yourself to a higher standard.

You stated that you THINK (you don't really know) nobody noticed EITHER (more than once) time you were armed OWB at work. BUT...What if someone did see? They are going to think it's OK to carry at work because you carry at work. "Hey, no big deal the boss is a gun guy too. Yippee, I can carry now!" They don't know it's all a big mistake and when they get caught my guess is they'll get fired. When they get fired it will be your fault.

That is why I was upset. You're not my boss so I shouldn't be, but I am. I'm just trying to let you see the other side and that your mistakes could cost others. I hope if it ever comes up in your workplace you give the guy a free pass.
    Point well taken, constructive criticism does not upset me it makes me better. I do hold myself to a higher standard, but being human I make mistakes. As stated earlier, I am willling to pay the consequences for my mistakes because they are consequences for my decisions. That is the reason for my posting, I do not want ot make the mistake again, and I believe that the office and safe key together is a very good idea and I will be implementing it in the morning. Thanks for keeping me accountable for my actions. That is why this is such a great place
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

Joe...Thanks for your candid remarks. I think you're seeing the frustration in the average working man's life concerning weapons and/or double standards. I'd suggest not holstering your weapon for your drive to/from work. Leave it handy (depending on your state laws) during the trip then secure it in a lockbox in your trunk. Going to and from the car at home you can stick it in your waistband.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links