Done it twice now, what do you do?

This is a discussion on Done it twice now, what do you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My normal morning routine after arriving at work is to unlock my office hang up my coat and to put on my safety gear. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Done it twice now, what do you do?

My normal morning routine after arriving at work is to unlock my office hang up my coat and to put on my safety gear. I then go out in the plant to check on my supervisors from third shift and to make plans with my first shift in order to get what we need done. For the second time in two weeks during my meeting with my supervisors I put my hand on my hip and realized I was still carrying. I don't believe anyone saw my firearm, being it was OWB and most of my supervisors and I have worked together for many years, and they would have said something. There is a strict no weapons policy in my company, and being the plant manager, I am the one who would be responsible for enforcing the rule if an employee violated it.
    My question is what do others do before exiting their vehicles at work to ensure their firearm is secured in their vehicle and not being brought into work?

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Being older, I write myself stick um notes. Not saying you are getting .... well you know.

There is a very good possibility I could loose my job if I were to get caught so that is about all it takes to remind me.
    NRA Member
    Glock 19,26
    S&W 340PD

I typically do not carry my weapon on my person in my vehicle on the way to work. That way, I can't forget. It takes me 5 minutes to get to work, so I put it in the nifty console space of my truck. It can't go flying out anywhere and is readily accessible. I lock it to my seat frame with a cable lock when I get out at work.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Do the same thing you'd do to a line worker...fire yourself!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Do the same thing you'd do to a line worker...fire yourself!
    I tried but I had to call the law on myself for getting out of line.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

I have a 20+ minute ride to work and I do the same thing, put it in the console. This way, the worst case scenerio is that it is unlocked, inside your locked vehicle. I don't want to chance bringing it in to the office by mistake and since I bring my pocket gun to work, I wouldn't be able to get it out of my pocket while sitting, even if I needed to.
    I am the Walrus...Goo Goo Goo Joob

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” –Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Do as I say, not as I do? I think I've worked for you in the past. : (
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

You may have to add a step or indicator to your routine. I would say, something like placing the car safe on your lap, for example, while you drive to work. You will obviously notice it when you park and not forget to secure your gun before exiting the car.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

You need to add a "step" to your normal at-work routine.

When you go into the plant are you required to wear any safety gear like glasses/gloves? If so, a lockbox where you keep the gear would remind you every time you take the gear out of the box.

Hard-hat safety helmet? Hang a small lockbox from a peg behind the door to your office and hang the helmet over it when you're not wearing it.

Yes I know, the Co policy says not inside the building but if this is what it takes... For that matter, even a simple cardboard box in the truck for your hard hat and a lockbox would work if you didn't want to take the weapon into your office before securing it. (You DO drive a truck, don't you? Don't you?)

All you really need to do is put a physical reminder that you have to disarm before you can continue with work. What that reminder should be is your choice so long as it works every time and you're comfortable with it.

VIP Member
    Never at work, I have a safe in the truck but...

I walked up to the District Court last week and as I started up the steps suddenly realized I was CCW! KEYRAP! Back to the truck to lock 'er up but I'm SO glad I didn't hit the metal detectors!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Keep your office key and car safe key on the same ring. When your armed the keys are in the car safe lock. When you disarm, you take the keys in with you. When you go out at night, you open the car safe, leave the keys in it and arm yourself.

Being the plant manager doesn't make you any better than everyone else that works at the company. You should be treated the same and get the same treatment as anyone else. My question is what would you do to reprimand someone carrying at work?

Put a little sticker by the speedometer of the car or other place you look each day heading for work...let it be the reminder to disarm.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Wearing scrubs to work seems to take care of the issue for me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links