Is it impossible to conceal a Glock 21 ?

This is a discussion on Is it impossible to conceal a Glock 21 ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am so very frustrated with this... and just about have come to the conclusion that my something about my body type, coupled with the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it impossible to conceal a Glock 21 ?

Is it impossible to conceal a Glock 21 ?

I am so very frustrated with this... and just about have come to the conclusion that my something about my body type, coupled with the enormous size of the Glock 21, just won't allow me any CC options that are feasible for any type of weather.

Here in Seattle, we've not had much of a Winter. Wearing a heavy coat is just too uncomfortable for me (heat wise) unless temps justified the means. Otherwise, IWB cuts into my huge ol' stomach and doesn't feel comfortable (also prints easily on a thin shirt,) and carrying OWB with shirt untucked, while not as bad of a printing issue with thicker shirts, isn't the greatest option either. (sigh)

I've done the shoulder holster, but that's only an option with an overcoat.

Sad reality is I like the feel of the big gun. I shoot it well and I am comfortable with it. But at this point, it may be time to consider a new size, style or even brand name of gun. Sad reality though... I cannot afford a 1911 type....... the $500 range is all my budget allows for.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated !!!
    Boomer Sooner!

2. Remove Ads

Any firearm can be concealed with the proper holster and oversized cover garments.
    You might try a method I have found very comfortable... FIST, INC. ...held against the kidney and not the spine with a 'palm out' draw. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

yes any gun can be concealed, you must work at finding the right cover garment and holster. sometimes you will end up with a box full of holsters that did not work.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Glock G30 or G36.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I carried a Glock 21sf for a short time. I had no problem concealing it. I almost bought it.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Most folks here will disagree, but I have had great success with Clipdraw. I hide a Security Six with it and it disappears. Because of the Glock trigger I would also use their Saf-T Block. I know all the arguments for holsters, but nothing makes a gun thinner than not having anything else but the gun. I have literally hundreds of dollars worth of holsters that I don't use anymore because I am so pleased with this product. You can shift placement as desired as well. Also dirt cheap.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin70 View Post
    I am so very frustrated with this... and just about have come to the conclusion that my something about my body type, coupled with the enormous size of the Glock 21, just won't allow me any CC options that are feasible for any type of weather.
    What do you mean by "body type"? I know somebody who carries not one, but TWO G21's and you wouldn't guess he was concealing.

I hear people saying short folks can't conceal larger guns. I'm here to tell you it can be done. ;)
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Wearing a heavy coat is just too uncomfortable for me (heat wise) unless temps justified the means.
    This is my problem as well. In the summer I find it very easy to conceal a full sized weapon using a IWB holster while wearing a wife beater undershirt with a polo shirt over it. In the winter I tend to dress up more so I must wear a jacket to cover. The problem comes when its to cool for my summer wear but I may want to take my jacket off. Are those "tuckable" holster any good?

Michael

I carry my Glock 30 in a Glock 21 holster at 3:30. I could easily carry a 21 in the same holster; however, I found the 30 more compact and easier to conceal. My spare mag is a 21 mag.
    Courage: "Do not follow where the path may lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Retired Army, Infantry
    NRA Life Member

Nothing is impossible when you think of it until you've tried your best. Even then, it's not impossible, just improbable for you. I cut my ties with the G21 after a few years of trying. It is what it is, and I'm sure you've worked with it (like I did). I simply won't have anything I won't carry. No safe queens or range only pistols for me. I love the Glocks...had the G21 and G30 and let them go in search of something in 45acp that would work better for me. Hey....it happens. I simply loved the 13+ capacity of the large G21, but if it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. Heck....I went for a single stack 8+1 instead. LEO around this area are now carrying the G21. Well, if I could carry the G21 OWB wherever I wanted to, I would probably still have it. I think it's an excellent choice for a service pistol.

I think a simple OWB beltslide holster is very underrated. I love mine. Tagua leather. FWIW, I carry a G19. It pulls it in tight when you tighten your belt. This also give it a bit of retention.

Quick Draw Leather Belt Holster - Tagua Gun Leather | Gun Holsters, Leather Holsters, Pistol Holsters, Western Holsters, Shoulder Holsters, Glock Holsters.

If I have to tuck it I go with the crossbreed supertuck.

I couldn't cut it with a G21 either. Hated the grip also. In your price range you could go with another Glock in the smaller frame (not the .45 or 10mm). For stupendous power, I went with the G32 in .357 Sig. Same exact size as a G19. World of difference.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I carry a similar sized S&W at 11 o'clock in a Uncle Mikes, I am a BIG guy (read fat) and it hides well under a polo or jacket and even t-shirts with a hoodie.. Our weather is similar here in PDX.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

I gave it a try again this afternoon. Went to Cabelas for their NRA "gun extravaganza." Renewed the NRA membership !!!

Right now, I'm trying to use the duty belt that was built for me by K&W in Seattle. It's a two-inch nylon belt, so that helps with not feeling like it's cutting into my stomach. Size 48 pants, unfortunately, so yes... way too much "baggage."

So, I'm carrying concealed with an OWB holster (Blackhawk Serpa) and I'm dressing in a nice t-shirt, untucked, followed by a short sleeve denim overshirt, also untucked. Was critiqued by the wife and kiddos before leaving, and they all agreed that this method was the most successful (so far) in having absolutely NO printing or buldging on my strong (right) side.

The one thing that might help me even more is changing holsters. Instead of using the Serpa (which is more like a duty holster,) I am looking for a (is it called a pancake style?) holster that will 'suck in' the holster and gun tighter against the belt and my body.

If I can successfully accomplish getting the buldging issue gone, I will feel better for 100% compliant concealed carry. The next holster I'm trying is going to be a BladeTech custom made "Eclipse" model holster, which is a pancake style that is designed to hold very tight against the belt, and they are making me custom loops which will accomodate the large 2" belt. It will also have built-in retention, but not the "locking" type. Some of you may be familiar with the BladeTech holsters (?)

Getting the belt pulled tight, and realizing that I've lost a little bit of weight, so wearing a smaller waist size in my pants, might help the belt and pants stay uniform with one another. I was really struggling with my dress slacks riding up, falling down , moving from side to side (making the boys uncomfortable ) and all sorts of goofy stuff, while the belt would generally stay in place.

So with more secure pants (jeans actually), I'm also considering using 'keepers' for the two-inch duty belt in unison with a casual belt secured through the loops of my jeans.

The weight of this gun is a REAL issue, and I certainly know it's there, all the time. I don't think there's any way around that. I suppose it's a 'compromise' between the weight and knowing that I have a gun I'm comfortable with and is reliable for me if ever needed.

I did see a Bianchi (spelling?) pancake style holster in Cabelas this evening - but they did not have one that would accomodate a Glock 21. Those holsters, if they're indeed called 'pancake style,' look like it will really help suck in the gun closer to my body. I'm hoping that if I can get all of this done as described above; I will have the option of using this large belt as "concealed" with my shirts untucked, or I can occasionally do "open carry" with the same dress attire and duty belt, only by tucking in my shirt(s) or doing the VA carry style (?) with shirt untucked but draped behind the gun, exposing that I am carrying.

Maybe I'll finally figure out what works for me and not have to lose the confidence I personally enjoy with my Glock 21. I do not shoot smaller-frame guns very accurate. With the 21, I'm either a really good shot, or just lucky with it. but I'm happy with my accuracy with this gun!
    Boomer Sooner!

I used to carry a full sized H&K USP .45. A very large handgun as well, and had no trouble with concealing it. I alternated between IWB and shoulder carry. I also weighed a lot less back then, and had a much harder time concealing any bulges in my clothing.

It can be done, and comfortably. It's all in how you dress.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links