Fast draw, and why "reassess" in Mozambique drill?

This is a discussion on Fast draw, and why "reassess" in Mozambique drill? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The reason you do 2 shots COM and reassess is for the following reason, it gives the BG time to enjoy his pain and realize ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fast draw, and why "reassess" in Mozambique drill?

Distinguished Member
    The reason you do 2 shots COM and reassess is for the following reason, it gives the BG time to enjoy his pain and realize he made a mistake before you turn his lights out.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

2. Remove Ads

Situational awareness is the best friend of a CC person.

SA may lessen the need for fast draw or even drawing at all.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

The show Collateral with Tom Cruise,, Shows the double tap and one in tha head,, Search Collateral on Youtube.. It was said that he practiced this about 10,000 to 15,000 times to get the timing right

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    At contact distance you are better served by the "Zipper Drill" anyway. You start firing as soon as your gun clears the holster and is pointed at the attacker. The muzzle flip is used to your advantage as you fire a vertical string of shots up the target's centerline. The shots typically are groin/belly, low chest, center chest, high chest, neck/face. This maximizes the probability of severing the spine, and shutting the attacker down.
    This is what I find myself practicing lately. Draw with 2 shots point shooting, followed by 3 aimed to COM, occasionally topping it off with 2 to the head. It sounds slow, but I can probably have the first 2 fired before most folks find COM. I figure I would rather wing them and make them think seriously about the next move. If they have not stopped by the time I get COM the next 3 should stop them.

Occasionlly I'll just point shoot 3-5 and let the recoil guide the shots up. Can't say I keep it on the center line, but I have not put that much practice into it.

The target generally looks like 1 to the pelvic/low abdomen, 1 to the low ribcage, 3 high COM, and if I finish with 2 to the head I can hear my wife laughing from behind me. She's a mean one I tell you.

Massad Ayoob recommends (& describes some) close quarters battle techniques to use...before drawing, because he talks about 'proximity overcoming skill' (or similar)...that the closeness of many attackers will outweigh your skill and reaction time.

The first thing in your mind should be dealing with the attacker, not necessarily drawing your gun...yeah, there is a difference between the 2.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by tradermike69 View Post
    The show Collateral with Tom Cruise,, Shows the double tap and one in tha head
    Heat - Neil McCauley vs. Waingro @ Hotel
    YouTube - Waingro Takedown

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    Legally you have to be careful how you shoot and/or are perceived to shoot. In many courts if it is established that you used the Mozambique drill you will go to jail for murder.
    Armydad
    Cite(s) please.

I fired 2 shots center mass and the perpetrator continued forward motion without indicating injury your honor, fearing that the assailant was wearing body armor i switched my target to an exposed vital area in accordance with my training in failure to stop situations.

If deadly force is authorized do not fear using deadly force. But once the assailant is no longer a threat you must cease any aggression.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Head shots are Offense, not Defense

If you have enemies who carry guns and want you dead, practice every drill you can find. Better yet, move to Alaska. If not, practice thinking about how to get away from a potentially mortal encounter without drawing attention to yourself.

I kill cute little furry animals with head shots; it is the most humane method of hunting therm I can imagine and provides the best tasting meat because death is instant. It's an offensive technique, employed through ambush. Since I wouldn't exactly starve by missing, I don't consider it self-defense.

When I've had a gun pointed at me, my first action was to get out of the line of fire. Today I am still here to tell about it.

I doubt seriously that any human would intentionally try to kill me; and I doubt that I would intentionally try to kill anyone else. If they show a weapon and don't fire, they are either trying to get better aim or (more likely) trying to use it as leverage to get control of the situation.

Shooting at someone who points a gun at you, even if you miss, disturbs their aim and communicates unequivocally that they are not in control of the situation. I think two COM hits would be a lucky overstatement of that same message. The likelihood that we would need to fire a third, head shot for self-defense is too Hollywierd for me to consider a serious question.

That said, I practice for precision and accuracy in the extremely unlikely event that someone is holding a hostage and standing still. It would present a one-shot opportunity to save two lives; I know I can hit a squirrel in the head at almost 35 yards with a revolver, so have no doubt my pistol gives me a 'worth-it' chance to similarly drop a hostage-taker at under half that distance.

VIP Member
    Interesting subject. Frankly, I have no idea where the term ‘Mozambique Drill’ came from but in any event I was trained to shoot twice at center of mass (COM). If that fails, ‘fire at will’. No, I don’t know where that phrase came from either: presumably from the British.

I’ll be attending a class by Massad Ayoob in May, so perhaps I will get caught up on the latest catch phrase drills
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Interesting subject. Frankly, I have no idea where the term ‘Mozambique Drill’ came from but in any event I was trained to shoot twice at center of mass (COM). If that fails, ‘fire at will’. No, I don’t know where that phrase came from either: presumably from the British.

I’ll be attending a class by Massad Ayoob in May, so perhaps I will get caught up on the latest catch phrase drills
    Hi Saber,

From Wikipedia:

"Modern Technique of the Pistol

The Mozambique Drill - 1974

Mike Rousseau, a student of the Modern Technique, reported that he had been involved in a gunfight in Mozambique, during the fighting around the airport of the capital city Lourenço Marques. His assailant was advancing rapidly toward him with his rifle and the student shot him twice in the upper torso. The advance of his assailant was not slowed by these two shots, and so the student shot him in the head, killing him [4].

The effect of a bullet striking the human body depends greatly upon exactly which organ is struck during the penetration. In some instances the assailant might drop quickly, in others, there might be no apparent effect. A bullet striking the brain kills the assailant almost without exception. Recognizing that similar situations would occur, Cooper popularized the term Mozambique Drill based on the technique improvised by his student there. This drill consists of shooting two rounds to the center of the torso, followed by a pause and assessment of the situation and then a more carefully aimed shot to the head. Under nearly any conditions, engaging an assailant with the Mozambique Drill should offer a high probability that one's assailant will be stopped and likely killed.
    [edit]The El Presidente - 1977"

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Practice proper and consistent holster presentation and the speed will follow. Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
    Exactly, regular draw practice is essential!
    SA keeps me out of situations.
    Mental preparedness lets me quickly take action if/when the time comes.
    Getting off the x, draw from concealment, shooting (mostly point) are action.
    I think these are a bare minimum of skills I need to practice. If I'm neglecting one of them, effectiveness becomes akin to a car missing one or more wheels.

Sounds like I need to learn zipper. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    ... I've also heard someone in the SD business basically say the "reassess" is if you have a target when you reacquire your sight picture, shoot. Same with shoot to stop, if you think about it, the only way to really stop someone, whether they want to stop or not, is for them to bleed out about 4 pints or a CNS shot. If you start shooting someone, you should be able to dump numerous rounds in them before they can think to audibly surrender or they drop to the ground due to gravity. Keep shootin' until you don't have a viable target any more.
    Yes, doesn't sound like reassess should take more than a fraction of a second. Still threatening, if so, head in sights? Other targets to consider?

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I’ll be attending a class by Massad Ayoob in May, so perhaps I will get caught up on the latest catch phrase drills.
    Great opportunity! You should learn quite a bit.

With Ayoob, I think you'll be avoiding the "catch phrase" (fad) type things. He's absolutely into simplifying, recognizing the chemical dump and failure of motor skills that typically occur during peak stress. Before the course, if you're able, read through the following books: In The Gravest Extreme; Stressfire I; and Stressfire II. With these, you'll have a solid background into several solid techniques he has taught in the past.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    2. The first two shots in a Mozambique drill hopefully slows the attack giving a greater possibility of a good head shot for the third. The "reassess" just means - assess if you can get in a good head shot (may or may not be a good option) if so shoot to the head, if after assessment a head shot is not a good option put the third at COM. BTW, this is a very fast assessment - very often in a real-life situation a Mozambique could actually end up being three to COM! Certainly, any time you can get in a good head shot go for it! But head shots are very difficult on fast moving targets, especially if you are also moving as you should be.

Bobo
    +1
    Point on.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    From a citizen's legal CCW perspective, we are almost always behind the curve before we are even permitted by law to draw our weapon, much less being allowed to legally fire on an assailant*. Therefore, I would think that the speed of our draw, no matter how Hollywoody and cowboy/westerny that may be, is probably one of the most critical skills we as civilian CCW holders could possibly have (next to shot placement). Yet I rarely see that particular skill being strongly stressed in basic CCW schools or classes, or even on the Web or in CCW books. Why is this? Is a fast draw considered too aggressive or gunfighter like, or do people simply feel that it is not needed?
    If you ever took a course that mentioned the Tueller Drill, then you had mention of a fast draw but in the context of self defense from recognition of the threat to stopping it. If the class ever actually practiced the Tueller Drill, you also learned how little time you have to stop the threat once you recognize it. You definitely felt the need for a fast presentation.

This applies to Mozambique or any other means necessary to stop the threat. You take the best shot that you have. Mozambique is a skill (is that level of training) to which, if you master it, you revert in time of greatest need.

*Meaning that we cannot typically draw our weapon until a definitive life-and-death situation presents itself, such as when the BG draws a gun or a knife at close range. In other words, we cannot simply draw our weapon even when we are merely deeply suspicious, or even if directly threatened (unless we want to risk our CCW and/or criminal charges). LEO's obviously have a few more options than we do, and for good reason.
    As you said,
    From a citizen's legal CCW perspective, we are almost always behind the curve before we are even permitted by law to draw our weapon, much less being allowed to legally fire
    I don't expect time for anything but whatever training I have mastered to kick in and hope that it can save my (or my loved ones or all of our) life and limb.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links