Fast draw, and why "reassess" in Mozambique drill? - Page 3

Fast draw, and why "reassess" in Mozambique drill?

This is a discussion on Fast draw, and why "reassess" in Mozambique drill? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Saber Frankly, I have no idea where the term ‘Mozambique Drill’ came from... Jeff Cooper's Commentaries, Vol. 1, No. 1. As time ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fast draw, and why "reassess" in Mozambique drill?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Frankly, I have no idea where the term ‘Mozambique Drill’ came from...
    Jeff Cooper's Commentaries, Vol. 1, No. 1.
    As time passes we discover that there are a good many readers who have not been to school and who are puzzled by our reference to "The Mozambique Drill."

I added The Mozambique Drill to the modern doctrine after hearing of an experience of a student of mine up in Mozambique when that country was abandoned. My friend was involved in the fighting that took place around the airport of Laurenco Marquez. At one point, Mike turned a corner was confronted by a terrorist carrying an AK47. The man was advancing toward him at a walk at a range of perhaps 10 paces. Mike, who was a good shot, came up with his P35 and planted two satisfactory hits, one on each side of the wishbone. He expected his adversary to drop, but nothing happened, and the man continued to close the range. At this point, our boy quite sensibly opted to go for the head and tried to do so, but he was a little bit upset by this time and mashed slightly on the trigger, catching the terrorist precisely between the collar bones and severing his spinal cord. This stopped the fight.

Upon analysis, it seemed to me that the pistolero should be accustomed to the idea of placing two shots amidships as fast as he can and then being prepared to change his point of aim if this achieves no results. Two shots amidships can be placed very quickly and very reliably and they will nearly always stop the fight providing a major-caliber pistol is used and the subject is not wearing body armor. However, simply chanting "two in the body, one in the head" oversimplifies matters, since it takes considerably longer to be absolutely sure of a head shot than it does to be quite sure of two shots in the thorax. The problem for the shooter is to change his pace, going just as fast as he can with his first pair, then, pausing to observe results or lack thereof, he must slow down and shoot precisely. This is not easy to do. The beginner tends to fire all three shots at the same speed, which is either too slow for the body shots or too fast for the head shot. This change of pace calls for concentration and coordination which can only be developed through practice.

Mike Rouseau was later killed in action in the Rhodesian War. May he rest in peace!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    Hi Saber,

From Wikipedia:

"Modern Technique of the Pistol

The Mozambique Drill - 1974

The advance of his assailant was not slowed by these two shots, and so the student shot him in the head, killing him [4].

-Bill
    One more reason not to trust wiki.
    He was not shot in the head.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    Zacii is right on for the practice. Legally you have to be careful how you shoot and/or are perceived to shoot. In many courts if it is established that you used the Mozambique drill you will go to jail for murder. That drill has only one purpose and that is to kill. As self defense shooting is to stop the aggressor with killing as the last resort. You obviously have to practice the head shot because it is the last defense that you have if the perp does not go down. But, it should be absolutely the last option presented or you will have bubba for a room mate for a long time.

Armydad
    Please cite your proof for this statement.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Jeff Cooper's Commentaries, Vol. 1, No. 1.

One more reason not to trust wiki.
    He was not shot in the head.
    The very source that the wiki article cites and got it wrong. Thanks for setting us straight. I'm doing my duty as a cyber citizen and editing the article at Wikipedia according to your correction.

As for "head shots" I was taught that a shot placed anywhere from the chin to the eyebrows was a non life threating wound. Above the eyebrows was the thickest part of the skull and hollow point bullets might NOT even penetrate enough to damage the brain. I'm talking handgun shots.

Tom

VIP Member
    Thanks to 'Bill Calley' and 'ccw9mm'. I alreday ordered the book "In The Gravest Extreme" but even after all of my years of working with firearms, I learn something every time I'm on the forum. In fact, it was for this reason, I submitted to attend the MAG-40 course. We're never too old to learn if we're willing to accept.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by FLSquirrelHunter View Post
    Head shots are offense, not defense
    Gotta call this one.

I hunt as well and take body shots - it's still an offensive move. Shot placement is irrelevant.

Initiating contact thru assault, battery, robbery, attempted murder, etc is offensive. Anything done in response to that contact, including a head shot, is defensive. I'd hate to have you on my jury, if ever in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Thanks to 'Bill Calley' and 'ccw9mm'. I alreday ordered the book "In The Gravest Extreme" but even after all of my years of working with firearms, I learn something every time I'm on the forum. In fact, it was for this reason, I submitted to attend the MAG-40 course. We're never too old to learn if we're willing to accept.

Someone at the range generously just loaned me his copy.....I'm about to start it.

I have read several other of Ayoob's books and have to say all are very enlightening.

One note tho...one reason I hadnt yet purchased "In the Gravest Extreme" is because it's one that he hasnt yet updated. It's one of his earlier books. I think he's planning to do so and I was waiting.

However, I've been told it's still an excellent resource and still holds up well today.
    Last edited by 9MMare; February 7th, 2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    The very source that the wiki article cites and got it wrong. Thanks for setting us straight. I'm doing my duty as a cyber citizen and editing the article at Wikipedia according to your correction.
    You're welcome Sir.

I learned to verify Wikipedia long ago.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Gotta call this one.

I hunt as well and take body shots - it's still an offensive move. Shot placement is irrelevant.

Initiating contact thru assault, battery, robbery, attempted murder, etc is offensive. Anything done in response to that contact, including a head shot, is defensive. I'd hate to have you on my jury, if ever in that situation.
    I agree. In my relatively short time as a LEO, I saw the fresh aftermath of a few shootings, including two homicides. Seemingly, people (LEO's too) couldn’t get those bullets out of the gun fast enough. Whatever it took to destroy the threat, they did!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

If the head is still there, that is your reassessment.

YouTube - Jim Zubiena in SLOW MOTION

Quote Originally Posted by tradermike69 View Post
    The show Collateral with Tom Cruise,, Shows the double tap and one in tha head,, Search Collateral on Youtube.. It was said that he practiced this about 10,000 to 15,000 times to get the timing right
    You mean this?

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    The target generally looks like 1 to the pelvic/low abdomen, 1 to the low ribcage, 3 high COM, and if I finish with 2 to the head I can hear my wife laughing from behind me. She's a mean one I tell you.
    When the pelvic bone is broken two legged mobility ceases. I am not saying the threat is over. They ain't walking no more. Just like taking out the shoulders on dangerous game, they might still be a threat, but they will be pushing with their hind legs. Not running.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    When the pelvic bone is broken two legged mobility ceases. I am not saying the threat is over. They ain't walking no more.
    I'm not so sure about the pelvic bone shot. For one, it is a circle, so you would need to break it in two places. Second, I'm not so sure you can reliably break that bone with a handgun bullet.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Chiefjason has it correct IMO--point shooting should be the subject. Fast draw and CC are kind of like oxymorons--they tend to contradict each other. CCWP classes, which are necessary in some states and limited in time and training, and are just jokes in others, obviously do not deal with much and, therefore anything to do with fast draw etc is not even mentioned. There is one thing that up til chiefjason's reply was not mentioned in this thread; point shooting and even hip/point shooting are important and relevant in this discussion. This is where a fast response to a threat can come from if you believe that fast draw and CC are basically incompatable. If you have assessed a threat at a reasonable distance and are prepared to present your firearm, then point shooting at say less than 15 feet (practice can extend the distance) allows you that extra second where you do not "target shoot"; you use your nose pointing and your eyes pointing and, with practice, your hands will point the gun to center mass. Doing this from your hip will work the same way, provide more time since you do not have to raise your arm, and provide protection for you since your arm is not extended outward but tucked into your hip for stability and protection from being slapped away. Point shooting with one hand and not the two hand typical shoot position is also possible and can be even more effective. Suggest you go to threatfocused forum for info.

If you get the pelvis at one of the hip joints, you should be GTG; there's also a lot of veins/arteries and nerves in there. It's also just the first hit in a planned series of hits.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links