Situational eye opener.....

This is a discussion on Situational eye opener..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before anyone gets uppity i am a dog lover i only have dogs because im allergic to cats.... So my brother and I hung out ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Situational eye opener.....

Situational eye opener.....

Before anyone gets uppity i am a dog lover i only have dogs because im allergic to cats....

So my brother and I hung out all day along with my 2 year old niece, and we had just arrived home from the tire store down the road. When we got to his house my niece was behind me on the passenger side of his extended cab chevy i unfastened her car seat and turned around to set her down as soon as i did i heard snarling and something running very fast and snatched her up....the mexicans next door have a pitbull(yes it is a pit bull and not some other kind of dog) and it was off its chain and ran out of the gate and went after her Ryan and another neighbor across the street ran over started to make it back away... I wasnt OCing(which is rare) and since i was holding her in my left hand i couldnt get to my pistol in my left pocket and i wasnt gonna set her down it stopped less than 3 feet from me in the yard. Ryan threw something at the dog and a neighbor from across the street charged the dog and they drove it back in the fence.. i told the family to put the dog on a chain(they tied it up just on a rope which could easily be chewed through and no one in the house heard the commotion) I then called the Brunswick Police non emergency line and had them dispatch an officer to take an incident report and he said animal control would be by Monday to talk to them once again. The dogs owner i dont believe is the family living next door but someone who has moved in with them and Ryan has seen them getting the dog to lock on to a rope and letting it hang from the rope in its mouth to strengthen the jaw of the dog.....

We just now returned from florida and the dog charged the fence but they had parked a truck against the gate to keep it from pushing it over but it was definitely off of its rope

lesson learned never carry anything on your strong side you cannot drop instantly!!!
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

2. Remove Ads

dog lover or not, the fact is that dog needs to either go or be locked up.

im hoping the animal control can take some action....if not the land lord is gonna get an earful tomorrow
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

You have just learned why I like to carry at least two guns of fight stopping caliber at a minimum.

It's about accessability if one hand is, like in this case for you, occupied with other duties. I won't comment on ways to eradicate the world of problem dogs, as it's more a situation of problem owners. From your description the owners of this dog are at least that.

The jaw stregnthening tactic of having the pit hang from a rope is common among your lower class peons that deal drugs or engage in dogfighting. I'm glad you and your niece are OK. Take care, stay safe and watch your six. If you do end up engaging the dog when it attacks you or a family member, be prepared to engage the owners of the dog as well. Maybe on the same day, at the same time, or at a later date.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    You have just learned why I like to carry at least two guns of fight stopping caliber at a minimum.

It's about accessability if one hand is, like in this case for you, occupied with other duties. I won't comment on ways to eradicate the world of problem dogs, as it's more a situation of problem owners. From your description the owners of this dog are at least that.

The jaw stregnthening tactic of having the pit hang from a rope is common among your lower class peons that deal drugs or engage in dogfighting. I'm glad you and your niece are OK. Take care, stay safe and watch your six. If you do end up engaging the dog when it attacks you or a family member, be prepared to engage the owners of the dog as well. Maybe on the same day, at the same time, or at a later date.

Biker

hopefully not...my brother is going to get his GFL soon and my dad said he can have his 32 beretta until then...i might let him have my p11 and let his wife use the beretta
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

carry all the time. do not block your draw.
    you know the threat now. prepair for it.

in my area a dog charging you is a justified shoot.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    carry all the time. do not block your draw.
    you know the threat now. prepair for it.

in my area a dog charging you is a justified shoot.

same here
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

VIP Member
    Not everyone wants to carry a BUG but if you do, I agree, carry it on your off side and learn to shoot it with your off hand.

I feel bad for the dog, it's not it's fault. Now the owner... I'd better not comment.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Just remember, if you do have to shoot, it's a fast moving, not necessarily straight lined attack. CHECK beyond your target. You may (more than likely will) still get bit, and that might be the best time to shoot if you don't have a clear target before, close up contact shot. Watch for ricochet possibilities. Shoot till the threat stops. Watch for owners. Call 911 ASAP and keep your eyes open.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Not everyone wants to carry a BUG but if you do, I agree, carry it on your off side and learn to shoot it with your off hand.

I feel bad for the dog, it's not it's fault. Now the owner... I'd better not comment.

i am ambidextrous so no problems there i shoot with both
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

A similar thing happened to me when my son was a four year old child, but the outcome was somewhat different.

I was over at my mom's house to dog-sit for her neighbor's dog, strictly as a favor to my mom (she ran a dog-sitting business, but was not home at the time), when suddenly and unexpectedly as my child bent down to pet the apparently docile animal, the dog growled viscously. The dog then instantly (like lightening) bit my son's face multiple times. My child's blood seemed everywhere, with gashes right near his left eyeball, coming very close to ripping it out.

I wanted to shoot that POS dog right then and there -- right where it stood -- and I wanted to do it in the worst possible way; so much so that I could taste it. (Or, even better yet, beat it to death with my bare hands; something -- anything -- that hurts your child will kind of bring that out in a person; people with small children will better understand that violent protective emotion).

The only thing that stopped me from instantly killing that &%$# dog was that I had promised to take good care of it, and my mother was also 100% responsible for its welfare if anything happened to it (including the possible loss of her business/reputation).

But if that had been some strange dog, or even my own dog, I would have gladly sent it to doggy Hell in the blink of an eye with my Python, or had my boot crashing down on its friggin' trachea… (Yea, I'm still PO'ed about it, even after twenty years! )

-Bill

PS: I then grabbed my child and drove him, at speed, to the hospital emergency room, where they patched him up with multiple stitches. (BTW, the woman who owned that crazy damn dog didn't even want to pay the relatively minor emergency room fees for stitching up my child's face. Ain't some people a real hoot?).

Bill, I commend you for your outstanding self-control not shooting the dog and hear you on the outrage you still feel about it. It would be a terrible thing to see, as a parent.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    Before anyone gets uppity i am a dog lover
    Anyone getting bent over your attitude toward dogs is failing to see the distinction. You love dogs. What you don't love is attacking, predator dogs, dogs that actively and aggressively treat you and yours as prey. Welcome to the club.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Irresponsible dog owners are a huge problem. I was attacked by 2 pitbulls at the same time a week before I got married (about 17 years ago) and the pure terror is something I'll never forget. I was on the sidewalk of our soon-to-be house when the neighbors dogs came around the corner of the house and trapped me in a stairwell with nothing but a broom to fend them off. I ended up with some bloody hands before the owner came outside and called them off. My gun was in the house and I couldn't turn and get up the 4 stairs. I called the police, animal control, went to town council meetings, etc. and in the end they were told to keep them on a leash. I told the Chief of Police that I was going to OC in my yard mowing, going to the mailbox, taking out trash, etc. and if they came in my yard again they were toast. He said no problem. A few months later, we moved...I just couldn't get past it.

As a result of my experience, I'm not necessarily a dog person, but I am an animal person. Once something happens in your own yard, it's difficult to feel safe. Be prepared at all times, and be safe.

I hope nothing else happens. When it comes down to animals or the safety of you and your family, the animals have to suffer the consequence of the irresponsibility of their owners.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Just remember, if you do have to shoot, it's a fast moving, not necessarily straight lined attack
    Very true. A dog running at speed will be a challenging target. Especially since you will have almost no time to react unless they start barking from a distance.
    Raising your arm horizontally across your body and allowing a bite on your forearm may be your best option. With your free hand you can cover the dogs snout, blocking any air, and hold it there until it passes out or lets go. If your going to get bit, try to make it work to your advantage.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links