Daycare Posted..

This is a discussion on Daycare Posted.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Late fees don't sound so bad when your paying bills and overtime to employees. But the whole situation could have been avoided by paying attention ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Daycare Posted..

Late fees don't sound so bad when your paying bills and overtime to employees.

But the whole situation could have been avoided by paying attention to concealing the firearm. Open carry and poorly done concealed carry are not the same thing.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    +1

Don't show your gun. Even though it was an accident. Make sure it doesn't happen.

Kind of makes a case against open carry though doesn't it?

You will have to think hard about what to do the next time you pick him up. You also have to consider whether or not this day care is safe enough for your child.
    My thoughts exactly.

Find a new daycare if possible. Learn how to reach for stuff: (I learned this here)
    If bending down to pick something up, bend at both knees - like you should be doing anyway.
    If reaching down, do so with your strong hand - you will naturally twist in a manner that maintains your concealment.
    If reaching up, do so with your weak hand - your weak hand waist will be exposed more and your strong hand waist will compress, your shirt will blossom out, thus maintaining your concealment.

VIP Member
    Welcome to DC.com!

Some good points brought up here.

That $10 per minute is ludicrous. What happens if you witness an accident or medical emergency and are giving first aid, etc? Stuff happens that is outside your control and can make you late.

Does the sign have any weight of law in your state? If you were in Florida, such a sign would be meaningless. If the sign does have the weight of law and you continue to carry, could you be charged, or just asked to leave?
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    In SC you would be illegal anyway because of carrying in a church. The $10 a minute late fee is very much out of line.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I'm not sure where nashvegas is, and therefore what the laws are.

IF this was FL, it's possible that there would be a pre-school there and that would be off-limits per FL Statutes. If that is not true where you are, are you certain of what the law states? If the sign is not legal, follow your conscience, but stay concealed. If it's legal, obey the law, and decide if you are going to find another, quality daycare.

I don't know about $10/min. Sounds steep. I also watch people violate the time issue at our pre-school ALL the time. It is a major issue. They cut lots of slack for those who don't have an attitude and don't push the envelope every other day. For those with an attitude and who abuse the situation regularly, different story.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

$10 per minute is ********. That's just completely unacceptable. And in a church, nonetheless? Ridiculous.

I'd change the daycare more for that than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    I'm not sure where nashvegas is, and therefore what the laws are.

IF this was FL, it's possible that there would be a pre-school there and that would be off-limits per FL Statutes. If that is not true where you are, are you certain of what the law states? If the sign is not legal, follow your conscience, but stay concealed. If it's legal, obey the law, and decide if you are going to find another, quality daycare.

I don't know about $10/min. Sounds steep. I also watch people violate the time issue at our pre-school ALL the time. It is a major issue. They cut lots of slack for those who don't have an attitude and don't push the envelope every other day. For those with an attitude and who abuse the situation regularly, different story.

slang for Nashville
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Thanks for all the comments, and yes the fee for being late is going to far. This was the first time being made in 10 years of carrying but it was a good reminder that some people freak out at the sight of a gun. Yes I am in Tennessee, which is actually a open or concealed carry state. I prefer to carry consealed though.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    the fee for late pickup is the norm in our area...i dont know if it is strictly adhered to or more of a deterrent for deadbeat parents who regularly pick up their kids late...working in a service business i have an appreciation for trying to prevent your employees from having to work late becasue some people down appreciate the fact that workers have lives too...they are there when you drop off in the morning (before you have to be at work) and there when you pick up at night (after you have already left work)...

i would venture to guess that if you had witnessed a tragic accident and were administering first aid at the scene they would tend to let it go...lets try to take emotion out of the equation and be a little more realistic...

if you dont realize that there are quite a few people who arent gun frindly or educated on people who carry youve been living under a rock...exposing a gun in todays society can bring about quite a few different reactions from fearful people...especially when kids are involved...a parent of another child could have had a very negative reaction...its an accident and it happens...i would have a talk with someone at the daycare just to clear the air...apologize for the incident and assure them you are a law abiding license holder...if for nothing else just to put them at ease...

if your kid is happy at the daycare do you really think this is a good reason to pull him out?...and how many daycares do you think you are going to find that are gun friendly?....

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I would encourage you to go talk with the management of the daycare. Obviously you feel like they made that policy for you; you can either leave the awkward bad feelings in place or be the mature one and go talk to the powers that be. Take the manager out for lunch and ask him or her about the issue. Apologize for making a scene by showing and ask for a recension of the policy. If they won't budge, then you've got the issue to decide whether you want to continue employing them.

All in all I would be proactive and talk to them.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Why do we always get "Demonized" for carrying. I should be the other way around. "What you don't carry?".
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'm with MinistrMalic going back and talking to the management would be best. As you said they don't see you picking up your child very often. I bet if you were the one doing the pick up all the time and had built some relationships with the workers they might not have been so quick to react. If there is one thing I have learned since I started carrying is that we have to be ambassador's of the 2nd amendment, by being knowledgeable about the laws and respectful to the sheep. We need to break the stereotype the left wing media made of the person that owns firearms.
    Also I think your going to have a hard time finding any daycare that is going to be outwardly pro gun. Education of your current business would be the best place to start.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I'm lucky. My wife works at the Daycare in the evenings... they all know I carry and really don't care. Then again we are in Chambersburg...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links