Daycare Posted..

This is a discussion on Daycare Posted.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dsee11789 I would find a new day care. Yup. Not only the firearms ban, but $10/minute after 5:00? C'mon, that's a little ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Daycare Posted..

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I would find a new day care.
    Yup. Not only the firearms ban, but $10/minute after 5:00? C'mon, that's a little harsh, doncha think?
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

2. Remove Ads

Here in Michigan it's against the law to carry in a daycare. I have to disarm when I pick up my kid everyday.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jblack44 View Post
    Here in Michigan it's against the law to carry in a daycare. I have to disarm when I pick up my kid everyday.
    Actually a Double Whammy in MI. No concealed carry in a day care or a church. Open carry with a CPL would have made it legal.
    The day care/church probably wouldn't have responded well, though.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    In Ohio you can't carry in or around child care places. Daycare, schools or even the YMCA. Its ignorance in action

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Actually a Double Whammy in MI. No concealed carry in a day care or a church. Open carry with a CPL would have made it legal.
    The day care/church probably wouldn't have responded well, though.
    And with that, don't you need the permission of the head of the church before you can carry inside anyways?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock23MI View Post
    And with that, don't you need the permission of the head of the church before you can carry inside anyways?
    As far as I understand the laws, you need permission for concealed carry. Open carry would probably be obvious and would fall under trespass rules if you were asked to leave and refused.
    If I were the OP I would be looking for other daycare arrangements anyway especially with the absurd late charges.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I'd prolly find a new daycare for my child..because it seems like that posting was because your weapon exposed. I wonder how many other responsible dads have come there carrying a weapon and nobody knew.
    The words can't and impossible are honey only to lips of losers. "Keith Matt(Me)"

Ruger KP95
    Glock 22/ PT145/ Pardner Pump Tactical/ Century AK-74

Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    This is exactly why I ordered the super tuck from crossbreed and always wear a t shirt that I can tuck over the gun as this happens often when you bend over. Now you might still print a tiny bit with it but your over shirt does not ride on top of the gun and not go back into original place and make you let the whole world know you have a gun in your pants.
    And therefore slowing down your draw quite a bit plus having more than one cover garment between you and your gun. That is just bad all around. To the OP find a new daycare if at all possible they don't care about your safety then why should you give them your money.
    Live in yellow or die in white.

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I would find a new day care.
    +1

I'd have a talk with the pastor sence the daycare is in the church, see what his take on it is, then start looking for other options.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Quote Originally Posted by ryan02 View Post
    My wife picks up our 7 month old at daycare 99% of the time. Tuesday my wife called and said she was in bad traffic and was not going to make it to get him on time, so I rushed down and get him.(They charge $10 a minute after 5:00, that adds up quick) The daycare is in a local church.

I made it on time. I was carrying my HK45c IWB with a t-shirt and a fleece pull over. When I bent down to pick up my son my pullover rode up and the gun was exposed. I felt it after a minute and pulled my pullover back down. I ran into a buddy picking up his son and we talked in the hall for about 10 minutes. When I was walking out a few of the workers standing at the door were looking at me like a had something on my face. I did not think much about it.

The next day when my wife got home from picking up Hudson she said that they put up a sign at the pick up door " No Guns Allowed". I guess that's because of me. They also printed a note to put in each childs folder with the new rule. The head of the program made sure to tell my wife about the note in the folder.

I guess for now on I will take it off when I have to pick him up. It's their property and I will respect their wishes now that they have up the sign.

How would you guys feel about the situation if it were you?
    it kinda sucks but it was "your bad" so live and learn..id do what you said..id just take it off to go in quick out it back on when I get back out...just like I do if I go to my wife's work(courthouse) a post office or anywhere else CC is not allowed like to get my kid at school or while coaching football on school grounds...I just follow the rules and I cant complain especially if its MY fault they had to upt up a sign in the first place.

just treat it the same as any other non CC place no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    $10 per minute is ********. That's just completely unacceptable. And in a church, nonetheless? Ridiculous.

I'd change the daycare more for that than anything.
    thats pretty typical...they almost never really enforce it but its due to staffing deals...most daycares are rated for only so many children/a certain number of supervisors. when they get down to a certain level they tell a supervisor to go home..

if you say you kid will be gone by 4PM for instance they actually plan their staff compliment and their times in and out based on when you say you will pick your kid up...but if all of a sudden the parent is late for what ever reason then they have to keep that worker ON instead of sent them home so they have the right staff compliment as applicable by LAW. Day care figures since the parent that didnt pick up their kid on time is making them have to basically pay a staff member OT to stay later that the Parent should absorb the staff members OT salary cost.

I have seen them tell a worker for example when I pick up my kid...ok that kid just got picked up go punch out see ya tomorrow to a worker...now had I been late they would have had to pay that worker extra to stay and they may have already been paying them extra..who knows lol.

thats how it was explained to me...now yes ive been late bu less than 10 minutes from time to time but they have never charged me a dime..but then again its not a regular occurrence either. ive never heard of them really charging anyone for it I just think its on the Books in case someone really tries to "abuse" the system.

but that cost seems pretty normal..we have had 3 day cares over the years and all of them had a per minute late fee of from $5-10 a minute late...just pretty typical...we actually pay around $5-10 EXTRA a week to keep him 1/2 hour past time so that we are never late lol meaning that I can get him by 430 almost always...but we "schedule" him till 5PM anyways just in case im a little late..it only cost like $5-10 extra for the whole week for that extra 1/2 hour a day..

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    In SC you would be illegal anyway because of carrying in a church. The $10 a minute late fee is very much out of line.

That would not be the main stopper as you can (or possibly could) get permission to do that. But the clause specific to day care trumps even that.

(M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:

(7) daycare facility or pre school facility;

(9) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body; or

So you can see that it might be possible to carry into a church but there is NO let off for a Day Care facility in South Carolina.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I know some daycare outfits that call social services and report you for abandonment if you're late.

From now on call them on the phone and tell them to bring the kid out to you.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    $10 per minute is ********. That's just completely unacceptable. And in a church, nonetheless? Ridiculous.

I'd change the daycare more for that than anything.
    Well, having had a day center in one of my churches for several years, I understand where this facility is coming from. Having parents not show up to pick up their child(ren) until after the regular closing time is often a significant problem. If it weren't, the policy wouldn't be in effect. Our policy was the penalty clock started at 5 minutes past closing time and was $1 a minute for the first 10 minutes and $3/minutes after that - and this was almost 20 years ago!!! Repeat offenders were often requested to find another facility.

Emergency situations were dealt with on a case-by-case basis and often resulted in no late fee.

And what does it being in a church have to do with anything? Employees still have to be paid for the extra time, utilities still have to be paid for the extra time. Day care facilities are expensive to operate.

FWIW, the center my daughter used for her son had essentially the same late policy as the one we are discussing and she paid $165/wk for the service.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Yup. Not only the firearms ban, but $10/minute after 5:00? C'mon, that's a little harsh, doncha think?
    You obviously have never owned/managed a day care center or you would not make that statement.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links