Daycare Posted..

Daycare Posted..

This is a discussion on Daycare Posted.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife picks up our 7 month old at daycare 99% of the time. Tuesday my wife called and said she was in bad traffic ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Daycare Posted..

Daycare Posted..

My wife picks up our 7 month old at daycare 99% of the time. Tuesday my wife called and said she was in bad traffic and was not going to make it to get him on time, so I rushed down and get him.(They charge $10 a minute after 5:00, that adds up quick) The daycare is in a local church.

I made it on time. I was carrying my HK45c IWB with a t-shirt and a fleece pull over. When I bent down to pick up my son my pullover rode up and the gun was exposed. I felt it after a minute and pulled my pullover back down. I ran into a buddy picking up his son and we talked in the hall for about 10 minutes. When I was walking out a few of the workers standing at the door were looking at me like a had something on my face. I did not think much about it.

The next day when my wife got home from picking up Hudson she said that they put up a sign at the pick up door " No Guns Allowed". I guess that's because of me. They also printed a note to put in each childs folder with the new rule. The head of the program made sure to tell my wife about the note in the folder.

I guess for now on I will take it off when I have to pick him up. It's their property and I will respect their wishes now that they have up the sign.

How would you guys feel about the situation if it were you?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    On the one hand, I guess it is a little "your bad" for accidentally letting it show, but it does seem they are overreacting quite a bit. It should have shown them that a responsible parent is picking up their child, and not everyone with a gun in daycare is going to go shooting the place up. Accidents happen. Sorry yours ended up with this result.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!

If it were I, I would resolve not to be so casual about cover in non-permissive environments.

Sounds like the usual response of people who aren't normally exposed to guns. I would be more worrying about how you accidently flashed your weapon than the "No Guns Allowed" sign. You have to be careful when bending over for anything.

I would find a new day care.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Welcome from Las Vegas, Nevada! I'll echo what dsee11789 said about considering finding another day care center if you have a problem with the "no guns allowed" policy. If you can live with it as is, good for you.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

$10.00 a minute for every minute over after 5 oclock,I'd be looking for another daycare,if you get caught in a traffic jam and end up 30 minutes late that would be $300.00 that there is real spiritual
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by ryan02 View Post
    7 month old at daycare

... they put up a sign at the pick up door " No Guns Allowed".

How would you guys feel about the situation if it were you?
    Stupid as it may seem, they sure appear to be afraid of you, afraid what you'll do, what your carrying means. Take it as you will, but I'd view it that they didn't want me there.

If it were me, unless it were a hardship I'd start looking for another daycare spot. At 7mos, the child wouldn't miss much, changing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

find another day care if possible. if you do find one be sure to tell the previous one why your going elsewhere and lastly, get better cover shirts. my wife helps by doing a gun check if im not sure the shirt im wearing covers well.

They sound flat out evil. I remember when my little sister went to daycare, we were treated like friends. A simple phone call saying you were late, and they were fine with it. Different strokes, I suppose. Her daycare lady & family were gear wrenchers/hunters. We got along well.

This makes me think about my future now. I will certainly make sure any one taking care of my child is somewhat close to my family's ways of life.

Basically, I echo the other replies. Be more careful I guess, and if it's within means, go somewhere else.

mrm
    This is exactly why I ordered the super tuck from crossbreed and always wear a t shirt that I can tuck over the gun as this happens often when you bend over. Now you might still print a tiny bit with it but your over shirt does not ride on top of the gun and not go back into original place and make you let the whole world know you have a gun in your pants.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Well, unless it meets the criteria for a legally posted area, the signs and notice don't count. I would be leery of carrying at a daycare as it may be construed as a school... IANAL.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    $10.00 a minute for every minute over after 5 oclock,I'd be looking for another daycare,if you get caught in a traffic jam and end up 30 minutes late that would be $300.00 that there is real spiritual
    I'm not so much worried about the weapon portion either, oh well, I can lock it in my vehicle if I want to respect their wishes.

I agree with Dukalmighty, that $10 a minute thing seems kind of ridiculous more so then the sign. If you can, find a new place and let them know their that I agree that their spiritual essence needs some work there with those prices.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by ryan02 View Post
    My wife picks up our 7 month old at daycare 99% of the time. Tuesday my wife called and said she was in bad traffic and was not going to make it to get him on time, so I rushed down and get him.(They charge $10 a minute after 5:00, that adds up quick) The daycare is in a local church.
    I realize that good daycare is hard to find. First, I would attempt to have a friendly conversation educating them about carrying guns. If that doesnt work, go to the church. What is their policy on guns? It's the church's property, they may have some influence.

Then I'd probably continue to carry my gun better concealed. If discovered, leave. If asked to remove kid from daycare, do so. I would look into options now, btw. That $10/minute late fee sounds brutal.

Good luck.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I would find a new day care.
    +1

Don't show your gun. Even though it was an accident. Make sure it doesn't happen.

Kind of makes a case against open carry though doesn't it?

You will have to think hard about what to do the next time you pick him up. You also have to consider whether or not this day care is safe enough for your child.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links