Question about my FL CCW

Question about my FL CCW

This is a discussion on Question about my FL CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a resident of the great oppressive state of IL, but I do have my FL CCW license. While I know I need to ...

Thread: Question about my FL CCW

Question about my FL CCW

I am a resident of the great oppressive state of IL, but I do have my FL CCW license. While I know I need to check each individual state's laws, I was wondering if I should be ok travelling this summer. Our plan is to drive from IL to FL, going through Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and then finally ending up in Florida. While I looked at the FL website about reciprocity and didn't see any issues with a non-resident carrying in those states, my question is that, once I enter into Indiana and proceed through the states I have mentioned, may I actually start carrying on my person, or can I place my firearm in a more comfortable driving position such as placing it under my seat, feet, etc.

Just looking for ideas and opinions!

Thanks!

You'll have to check the regs for each state that you travel through. Some states allow open carry, some only allow concealed carry. From your post I gather you should fine carrying your weapon in your car the way you described.

Btw, no matter where I travel, I always conceal (when legal) so there's no worry about which states allow open carry..........but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by allamricn View Post
    I am a resident of the great oppressive state of IL, but I do have my FL CCW license. While I know I need to check each individual state's laws, I was wondering if I should be ok travelling this summer. Our plan is to drive from IL to FL, going through Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and then finally ending up in Florida. While I looked at the FL website about reciprocity and didn't see any issues with a non-resident carrying in those states, my question is that, once I enter into Indiana and proceed through the states I have mentioned, may I actually start carrying on my person, or can I place my firearm in a more comfortable driving position such as placing it under my seat, feet, etc.

Thanks!
    I'm in the same boat you are (Illinois wise :( ). Anytime I head to Indiana, Missouri or farther south for vacation/family time it's primarily summer so I'll just wear cargo shorts and put my G27 in a pocket holster and put it in there when I'm in the Jeep/car.

Or if it's a lil'colder I'll wear a vest a throw it in one of the pockets or in my inside pocket of my vest. Just an idear.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

What does Indiana state law say about it? see handgunlaw.us
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Laws will vary from state to state, you need to read the laws on each state. Handgunlaw.us is a good place to start your reading. As for stashing it under the seat/feet or anywhere else it is not held securely I would advise against it. Slam on your brakes and the gun is going to come sliding out. Either wear it holstered or keep it in your center console/glove box.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Mic
    Unfortunatly the only way to be sure is to check each state law befor you leave. You are, by the way of obtaining a CCW permit required to "know the law" however most states that I've seen it's OK to put in the glove box or other compartment loaded.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Getting out of IL is wonderful! I lived there for 2 years and will never return! Another site to check out for your trip is http://www.usacarry.com/ it will give you a map showing states that will not recognize a non-resident permit. Take care and drive safe!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

According to this... Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps ...you're good to go once you say goodbye to the IL state line
    You can also search out individual state info here, also.
    Hit FL, then non-resident...good luck, and enjoy the Gunshine State.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by allamricn View Post

Thanks!
    You should be good on the states you mentioned (but that is speaking as a FL resident).

Under the seat or your feet? Not a good choice. Console, glove box, or holstered, IMO. Too much chance of an accident sending the gun flying.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks for all the suggestions and answers. I spoke with a LE friend yesterday and he suggested a shoulder holster for the drive down for comfort, but I also know that they make cargo pocket holsters for my P2000, which since it will be summer, I would assume would be a good choice as well with cargo shorts.

A useful trip planning site:
    Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner Results,

Sponsored Links