From Glock Talk Observations from actual shootings....

This is a discussion on From Glock Talk Observations from actual shootings.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Spec ......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: From Glock Talk Observations from actual shootings....

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Nor do I, and that isn't what I said.
    You said that "someone rewrote what Deadmeat wrote." I was pointing out that Lookin4U and Deadmeat came to almost completely opposite conclusions, and was curious why you (and someone else on the GT thread) would both claim that the OP was (or had copied the ideas of) Deadmeat.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post

I didn't see any links to any documentation in his posts , did you?
    No.

Agreed OPFOR, that too was my same view.

Not the same peron[s view/opinion].

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    As has been pointed out many times (and was explicitly claimed by the OP in that thread), these are observations, not studies. I've observed a whole heck of a lot in my life (as I'm sure you have) that doesn't have documentation, does that invalidate the observation?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    You said that "someone rewrote what Deadmeat wrote." I was pointing out that Lookin4U and Deadmeat came to almost completely opposite conclusions, and was curious why you (and someone else on the GT thread) would both claim that the OP was (or had copied the ideas of) Deadmeat.
    What I said was;
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Hmm, appears someone rewrote Deadmeat2's posts;

http://www.mouseguns.com/deadmeat.htm
    I personally don't find it amazing that two people would happen to post the same thought.

~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    OD, the point is that they posted OPPOSITE thoughts... Deadmeat is stuck on the .45 and the 12 gauge as instant death ray uber-slayers, while Lookin4U says the .45 is no better or worse than any other "major" caliber, and that the 12 gauge has been very inconsistent/unimpressive in real world shootings (as he has observed them).

Opposite. Conclusions.

That's why I was confused that you (and at least one person on GT) thought they were the same person/same ideas....

OD*
    I never said it was the same person, I never even said I thought it could be the same person, I said, "Hmm, appears someone rewrote Deadmeat2's posts." Hopefully this will clear up any confusion.

~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    No, it doesn't. If person A wrote "Apples are the best" and person B wrote "Oranges are the best," it would never enter my mind that A and B were the same person, or that B appeared to have rewrote (rewritten) A's post. Still very confused.

OD*
    Don't know what to tell ya, amigo.

~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Tell me why it appeared that B rewrote A's post, even though the conclusions of A and Bs posts were completely different. That's what I've been asking the whole time... As you were the second person to bring up A (Deadmeat), I'm honestly curious as to how these parallels between A and B (Lookin4U) were drawn. Is it because they both observed (or at least claim to have observed) numerous shooting injuries and autopsies? I just don't get it...

OD*
    I used "rewrote"

Main Entry: 1 re·write
    Pronunciation: \(ˌ)rē-ˈrīt\
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): re·wrote \-ˈrōt\; re·writ·ten \-ˈri-tən\; re·writ·ing \-ˈrī-tiŋ\
    Date: 1567

Thinking of this definition;

transitive verb : b : to alter (previously published material) for use in another publication.

Because to me, 4U's post was nearly a mirror image to Deadmeat's.

Thinking of this definition;

Main Entry: mirror image
    Function: noun
    Date: 1885
    1 a : something that has its parts reversely arranged in comparison with another similar thing.

~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Ok, I suppose I can understand that there were similarities in the background (both observing a large number of shooting victims/autopsies), but it still seems very strange that you would assume it was a "rewriting," considering that the conclusions (the actual meat of the matter) are 180 degrees apart.

If someone came around tomorrow and wrote something stating that gravity made you fall up, I wouldn't say that someone had "rewrote" Sir Isaac Newton's theories, I would say that someone completely contradicted SIN's theories.

Semantics, I suppose, but it really appears to me to be a very poor choice of terms or a very weak way of disregarding the OPs observations...

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Semantics, I suppose...
    On that we agree.

a very weak way of disregarding the OPs observations...
    I don't know the guy, do you? Dr. Gary Roberts opinions mean more to me because I know he's legitimate, the other guy, I don't know from Adam.

~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Nope, I don't know him. But I know Dr. Roberts agreed with most of his observations (and further stated that his observations agreed with almost ALL current findings). My point wasn't about whether or not you agreed with him (and really, how can you agree or not agree with an observation? The thing happened...you can agree or disagree with the conclusions drawn from that thing happening, but you can't discount that it happened at all), but why his post was a "rewriting" of an essay that had diametrically opposed conclusions...

I found his observations interesting. I am ALWAYS extremely wary of anecdotal evidence, but at least in this case there was a pretty large number of anecdotes that led the OP to draw his conclusions - unlike the "my brother's uncle's mechanic once saw a Brand X Bullet turn a water buffalo into a pink meatball, so that's what I carry" anecdotes we often hear...

I also don't agree with some of the OPs conclusions - I have seen evidence to support other conclusions that I find equally (or more) compelling. I just believe that automatically discounting evidence that doesn't support your preconceived ideas is the ultimate form of ignorance (not that this is what you were doing).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links