What would make a concealed carry class better?

This is a discussion on What would make a concealed carry class better? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone that wishes, please answer the following: What was covered in the classroom? How much shooting did you do? Did you practice drawing from concealment? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would make a concealed carry class better?

What would make a concealed carry class better?

Anyone that wishes, please answer the following:
    What was covered in the classroom?

How much shooting did you do?

Did you practice drawing from concealment?

Did you clean your gun?

Did you discuss which gun to purchase?

What would you change for the class to make it better?

I am a concealed carry instructor and I want to give my students the best experience possible. Thanks for the input.
    Never argue with an idioit, he will just bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience!

2. Remove Ads

I am also an instructor, been instructing for about 5 years now. I dont know about NC, but here its not required to take a class. Anyway, to answer your questions, I cover in the classroom for CCW, carry methods, marksmanship, laws, situations, and what to expect after a shooting. I also teach in the classroom common courtesy, like declaring to a LEO that you are armed though its not required, and also non-lethal solutions like spray.

I do teach drawing from the holster but only after hours in another class at a discounted rate for those who took my CCW class. I do this for liability reasons. They sign forms releasing myself and the range for any damages or injury.

I do teach proper firearms cleaning and maintenance during my CCW class. But usually only if someone answers the question "do you know how?" with a "donno" or "have no clue." I dont want to waste anyones time or belittle anyone. I do show people how to disassemble/reassemble a new firearm once they purchase it.

I make suggestions on what firearms conceal well or better than others, but most of the time my students already have a firearm. I just teach them how to conceal it and shoot it.

I wouldnt change anything about my class other than shooting from the holster and point shooting during the class. But again, for liability reasons, I cannot.

I have total control over what is taught in my class since I am the head instructor and my instructors follow my lead. They have good information and I wouldnt have hired them if they didnt know what they were talking about or didnt have anything to add. So I applaud you for asking these questions. I never stop learning and I get most of my information from this forum. I also tell my students about this forum and give them the address, some become members and others dont, but thats their decision. Something to think about adding to your routine.

Hope it helps!!

I'm an instructor also and for North Carolina the thing to add to the required class is time. By the time you cover the required items you fill a 9 hour day and if you have some newer students you go longer. I get the required items out of the way in one day and then do the additional items in another class.

I will add that my shooting qualification is above what the minimums are.

My CCW class is two day. A 5hr classroom, and the next day is 3hr shooting. Almost everyone passes the shooting even though I have high standards. If someone fails to meet the qualification, then we pretty much stay until they do. One requirement for my "extra" classes is qualifying during my CCW course. You must qualify to shoot from the holster or point shoot.

I had a great instructor. We covered all the relevant laws in class. Plus a few scenarios and discussed other options, knife, pepper spray, flashlights.

We fired 100 rds in the class, was supposed to be 150. 50 rds warm up, and the last 50 covered the test portion. We fired single, double, 5 rd, and rapid fire 5rd. Right and left handed, one and two hands.

No drawing.

There was a gun cleaning demo.

There was some discussion in class about gun types relevant to purchasing one. Most of us already had what we were going to carry.

I'm happy with my class. I had also done a lot of studying of the laws, etc, so there was not much new for me. The shooting portion was handled very well. I did learn a few things there. I think drawing from concealment is probably best for a more advanced class. My class went 14 hours as it was.

Lunch!

[B]What was covered in the classroom?
    I took NRA courses so all that are in the book are covered, plus more that are practical.

Not as much as I want to especially now in winter...but I do some plinking..

In the three courses that I did, No...but I think the next three will have drawing from concealment. I am alreadypracticing my speed before I take the course. Hubby is way ahead of me when it comes to gun knowledge even if I can outshoot him at times...

Did you clean your gun?
    No, most of us in the class already have our own guns so it was only discussed (some cleaning agents shown) and some recommendations have been given as to which works well for our instructors' and they are open enough to allow us to discuss wht works well for us too.

No...but our instructors told us what to look for, no particular brands. It was also discussed why certain configurations of handguns or pistol is dangerous for CC.

The space. It was really very cramping when we were there last. They said they are going to expand their teaching rooms but we still have to go back there for our class this month.

Note: Hubby and I like our instructors very much. They are not paranoid unlike others I (and my son) had experienced. They are the most practically people you can ever meet in this planet. We really admire them and their dedication to their students and to their knowledge which they frequently update...

Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by alsipd View Post

Did you clean your gun?

I am a concealed carry instructor and I want to give my students the best experience possible. Thanks for the input.
    I would do away with the requirement for a CCW class in order to legally carry and strictly adhere to the 2nd Amendment. That being said, I am definitely in favor of classes to teach basic skills and hone those skills one already has.

I have been shooting most of my life and am very comfortable around guns of about any type. However, every time I take a class, regardless of how basic or how advanced, I am humbled when I realize how much I don't know and how much I have to learn. I recently took an advanced pistol course through our 4-H Shooting Sports program. This hones skills needed to coach Precision Shooting (which I did as a member of the Service School Command Pistol Team). Very, very, very humbling.

So, while I do not believe I should have to qualify to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights, other than being a citizen of the United States, I do believe that I have a responsiblitly to do so safely and with minimum risk to those around me.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

What was covered in the classroom? Gun anatomy...that's all.

How much shooting did you do? None.

Did you practice drawing from concealment? No.

Did you clean your gun? No.

Did you discuss which gun to purchase? No.

What would you change for the class to make it better? Everything.

I wish they had discussed SD laws in our state. Justifiable situations in which to draw and use lethal force and when it is not justifiable. No mention of it whatsoever. Our local DA gave me links with case law to study on my own. I was very dissappointed.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The classes are really a joke. The only good info was the info on the law..The shooting portion was more fun than learning. If the state is going to require a class, it should at least come with some real training. /rant

I took a CC class prior to HR218 and my suggestion is make it pass or fail. My goodness the guy next to me couldn't hit the target, and he wasn't the only poor shooter. Another was obviously intimidated by the handling of a gun. Unless it's changed here in Ohio, you sign up, pay for the course, listen to the instructor talk about gun safety, sight alignment, trigger pull, proper stance, etc. Finally you shoot some holes in a target and get certified. Most listen, learn and do well. But some can be a little scary. Finally, video of the do and do not of gun handling would be nice. Visual aids are always good and beneficial. Blood gets people's attention fast.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Did you clean your gun?

First, I believe a basic handgun safety/handling course should be required before the CWP course can be taken. Now, to your questions:

My class in SC included a short course in handgun safety and where/when I can shoot. Legalities and practicalities were both discussed. Terminology was also discussed.

Half of our shots were from "low ready" and half from "presentation" (holster draw). The holster was not required to be concealed, nor did we have to qualify with the gun we would carry.

We shot 50 rounds from various distances. The minimum score was ridiculously low (60%). If I couldn't shoot any better than that, I wouldn't carry.

Cleaning was not discussed.

Which gun to buy/carry was not discussed except that state law requires the gun to be less than 12" at the longest measurement.

Actually, my class was pretty good. The instructor assumed you had read the concealed carry laws and knew a little about gun handling. That might be a bad assumption sometimes.

To improve:
    1. Cover safety, both when carrying and when storing your weapon.
    2. Cover legalities of when to shoot and where to carry. Some of the laws are ambiguous and easily misunderstood.
    3. The practical shooting requirement is MUCH too low.

Good luck!

VIP Member
    Adopt the Alaska model -- no permit or training required in-State.

Let the marketplace drive the products being sold.

IMHO, the State ought to issue a couple levels of voluntary permits -- one level ought to be available for those who want maximum reciprocity --e.g., meet the toughest State's training requirements requirements in the nation.

Then, let instructors taylor voluntary classes to the needs of the individuals -- with a number of levels of classes for citizens with various levels of need. One size dosen't fit all.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Human targets. Or more specifically(sp?), violent, repeat offenders about to reach parole. Why not? They are the ones you are going to end up defending your self against anyway. These are the favorite ones our CJ likes to keep releasing into the world and wonder why crime rates never really change....
    One Man's Trash is another Man's Wife.
    A gun is like an abortion. When you are unprotected and get surprised, you always want one.

I would cover situations most likely to encounter....

Carry/draw with a cover garment (shirt, jacket)

Situational awareness (parking lot, parking structure, home)

Communication with BGs (before the draw), LEOs, witnesses

How to use cover/concealment in the home, out and about

Areas to aim for, using visual landmarks (i.e. neck tie, shirt pockets, etc)

State laws on the use of force....recent cases, outcome

Different ammunition loads (JHP vs ball)

How to carry spare mags (and why--the non-zombie horde version)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links