The Real Reason " Does the punishment fit the crime"

This is a discussion on The Real Reason " Does the punishment fit the crime" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gilraen T The death penalty doesn't stop anyone. The threat of the death penalty may not, but when applied, the recidivism rate ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Real Reason " Does the punishment fit the crime"

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    T

The death penalty doesn't stop anyone.
    The threat of the death penalty may not, but when applied, the recidivism rate is ZERO!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Okay,, I am not on the fence here,, If you do the crime, do the time,, But do it like the old days,, A theif gets caught, cut off his hand,, If he reaps cut off something else!! If he kills, then do the same,, Not fifteen or twenty years, One month,, Then do it like, 100 years ago, The gallows, Public Hanging,, Most people don't fear the death sentence because they won't live that long anyway!! Put some teeth back into the system!! You won't want to offend again!! Yea Yea the ACLU,, I know,,

I think criminals will be criminals, regardless of consequence. Granted some people commit a one time crime and never commit another. Make criminals pay rent for the cell or sleep in an enclosed courtyard. Make criminals pay for meals or feed them grits for breakfast and collard greens for lunch and dinner. Harsh sentence for violent crimes. Harsher sentence for each repeated offense. Hold judges and parole boards accountable for criminals they turn loose. Quit spending tax payer's money on drug court, youth court, anger management. Quit spending tax payer's money defending prisoner rights. Hold orginizations like ACLU accountable for legal fees and court cost defending prisoner rights. Stop social programs that encourage lazziness and a sense of entitlement. Close all government housing except for severly disabled and ederly. Don't get me started.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I think criminals will be criminals, regardless of consequence. Granted some people commit a one time crime and never commit another. Make criminals pay rent for the cell or sleep in an enclosed courtyard. Make criminals pay for meals or feed them grits for breakfast and collard greens for lunch and dinner. Harsh sentence for violent crimes. Harsher sentence for each repeated offense. Hold judges and parole boards accountable for criminals they turn loose. Quit spending tax payer's money on drug court, youth court, anger management. Quit spending tax payer's money defending prisoner rights. Hold orginizations like ACLU accountable for legal fees and court cost defending prisoner rights. Stop social programs that encourage lazziness and a sense of entitlement. Close all government housing except for severly disabled and ederly. Don't get me started.
    I know folks who consider that haute cuisine.

As for the rest, it would be an interesting change.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    The problem is that even when the punishment fits the crime, the criminal considers it a fair trade. The punishment should exceed the crime.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Rapper looks forward to jail

Associated Press
    February 9, 2010

Lil Wayne, 27, pleaded guilty in October to attempted criminal possession of a weapon, admitting he illegally had a loaded .40-caliber semiautomatic gun on his tour bus in July 2007. Police found the weapon when they stopped the bus after a Manhattan concert.

"This is Lil Wayne going to jail. Nobody can tell me what that's like," the rapper told Rolling Stone magazine for its latest issue. "I just say I'm looking forward to it."

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I think we need to make it so prison is not a comfortable place to be. Reinstitute hard labor and get some benefit out of the scum who are living on our dime. Or just have them break big rocks into little rocks, and then move them from one place to another. No cable, no internet, etc... Make it so no one wants to be there, not like an all expenses paid resort(I do understand not all levels are like that).

Make it unpleasant, and try to get something usefull out of their existance.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Associated Press
    February 9, 2010

Lil Wayne, 27, pleaded guilty in October to attempted criminal possession of a weapon, admitting he illegally had a loaded .40-caliber semiautomatic gun on his tour bus in July 2007. Police found the weapon when they stopped the bus after a Manhattan concert.

"This is Lil Wayne going to jail. Nobody can tell me what that's like," the rapper told Rolling Stone magazine for its latest issue. "I just say I'm looking forward to it."
    Scum like this glorify crime, this is the 21st century role model at its best.
    Dave
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    This would be a start, responsibility.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Davensquirt View Post
    Just curious,do you think that there would be as many crimes committed in society if our laws were stronger regarding the punishment fitting the crime.
    I believe that the statistics clearly show that punishment severity and type isn't a major factor in the variation in crime rates over time.

In short, I believe most criminals will be criminals irrespective of consequence.

Interestingly, I recently attended a presentation of The Bulletproof Mind, by LTC Dave Grossman, in which this question was asked and covered specifically. Unsurprising, really.

Yes, for the duration a given criminal is denied access to the street, then it will keep that individual off the street. But, it'll teach him and train him and expose him to others with whom he can exchange his skills. And, all the while, there will be others outside who will only vaguely recall that the individual was incarcerated at all. In the long run, unless you get rid of them all, you end up with a system that has a self-fulfilling, two-way valve, of sorts, which helps pump "new blood" into the system over time. Keep making it harder to survive, reducing the value of one's job/income/savings, keep executing petty tyrannies, and fail to have a major impact on crime rates ... then, over time, you get what we're seeing: all-time highs that are only moderately reduced via modern medicine and technique.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I was watching TRU tv today; thugs were stealing bait cars and when busted they were laughing. Better still, some expressed, "I didn't do anything!"
    Piss on 'em... or not. That's cruel, unusual and a violation of his rights...

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota97 View Post
    As others have said, it does stop one.
    In my opinion, the reason that the death penalty does not work as a deterrent in our system is that the process is too slow. When a prisoner can be sentenced to death and sit on death row at tax payer's expense for 15 or 20 years of appeals, it lacks teeth. If our system would get the appeal process done through the system within a couple of years and then administer the death, it would be more of a deterrent.
    I think one of the main reasons the death penatly is not a deterrent is because they try to make it as humane as possible. If they brought back drawing and quartering or burning at the stake, and made it a public spectacle, criminals would be deterred.

An extreme example, I remember reading about Vlad Tepes (more commonly known as Vlad the Impaler. Apparently during his reign, Wallachia (in present day Romania) had virtually zero crime. To show this, he put a gold chalice in a town square unguarded. It never disappeared. That's because people were scared of this guy and for good reason.

Build more prisons...no comforts...no parole...provide lots of hard work...clean out the death row cells (permanently).

Statistics have shown that the death penalty has a 100% cure rate on repeat offenders.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    I was watching TRU tv today; thugs were stealing bait cars and when busted they were laughing. Better still, some expressed, "I didn't do anything!"

How is this a violation of there rights, the individual stole a vehicle and got caught, just another tax burden.
    Dave

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    Could you translate this for me??????

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links