The Real Reason " Does the punishment fit the crime"

This is a discussion on The Real Reason " Does the punishment fit the crime" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We carry to protect, ourselves and our loved ones. Just curious,do you think that there would be as many crimes committed in society if our ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Real Reason " Does the punishment fit the crime"

The Real Reason " Does the punishment fit the crime"

We carry to protect, ourselves and our loved ones. Just curious,do you think that there would be as many crimes committed in society if our laws were stronger regarding the punishment fitting the crime.

Also if our prison systems would truely rehabilitate inmates, versus coddling them, by giving them the creature comforts Cable TV, Smut,
    the ability to work and not work, constitutional rights, etc.

I am not trying to be a nob about this but come on, our society is rapidly declining and it's only going to get worse.

We are a civilized society, but look at countries that still have the King of Kings Laws, Eye for and Eye, Life for a Life etc.
    Dave
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

2. Remove Ads

Mic
    Simple answer, look at the criminal system we had 150 years ago. Citizens carried guns, sheriff had respect, death penalty, work farms, no parole.... it may have been the wild west, but criminal activity was rare.

Our nation has goten progressivly worse, remember that the next time you vote, if you don't vote then shut up (not personal)

I forgot to mention the great job "Sheriff Joe" is doing in Maricopa county Az, he brought back chain gangs, tent city and other "projects that drive the liberal left crazy.
    Last edited by Mic; February 9th, 2010 at 11:52 AM.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    Simple answer, look at the criminal system we had 150 years ago. Citizens carried guns, sheriff had respect, death penalty, work farms, no parole.... it may have been the wild west, but criminal activity was rare.

Our nation has goten progressivly worse, remember that the next time you vote, if you don't vote then shut up (not personal)
    I vote, but it's pretty much gotten to the point where neither major party is any good. I'm still registered as a Republican so I can vote in the primary, cause there's a least a slim chance of a descent candidate running in that race like Ron Paul.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Administrator
    I say defiantly bring back the work houses. A lot of the "less desirables" I take to jail don't mind going. They look at it as a vacation, and often the accommodations are nicer than they would regularly have.

Now with budget cuts etc, they are in and out quicker than I am dropping them off. We have allowed the CJ system to become a joke.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Try to help the young ones who can still heal. Keep the older, incorrigible ones locked up - DO NOT let them out for good behavior. Let out the ones who committed "victimless" crimes - like pot smokers. Then therere would be a lot more room to keep in the ones who need to be kept in.

The death penalty doesn't stop anyone.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Try to help the young ones who can still heal. Keep the older, incorrigible ones locked up - DO NOT let them out for good behavior. Let out the ones who committed "victimless" crimes - like pot smokers. Then therere would be a lot more room to keep in the ones who need to be kept in.

It stops at least one.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    It stops at least one.
    That's a fact!!!!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Jacksonville is the murder capital of FL. Lots of other crime here. It seems like every newspaper story about some crime includes the "information" that Mr. Thug has numerous previous felony arrests. Hard to justify how someone is out doing more damage after all the arrests. I think this is another thing that will be boiling to the surface soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post

As others have said, it does stop one.
    In my opinion, the reason that the death penalty does not work as a deterrent in our system is that the process is too slow. When a prisoner can be sentenced to death and sit on death row at tax payer's expense for 15 or 20 years of appeals, it lacks teeth. If our system would get the appeal process done through the system within a couple of years and then administer the death, it would be more of a deterrent.
    NRA life member.

Bring back the chain gangs, hard labor, and I'm for :eye for an eye" type punishment. Make jail one place a sane man would never want to go to. Now this applies to violent crimes, not the guy who didn't pay taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota97 View Post
    In my opinion, the reason that the death penalty does not work as a deterrent in our system is that the process is too slow. When a prisoner can be sentenced to death and sit on death row at tax payer's expense for 15 or 20 years of appeals, it lacks teeth. If our system would get the appeal process done through the system within a couple of years and then administer the death, it would be more of a deterrent.
    I agree!
    We've got killers waiting to die and people that will never leave prison taking up space, sleeping in a secure (except for maybe one cell mate) cell, eating good food, breathing clean air, and getting health care all at our expense.

With groups like the ACLU in power we have been neutered as far as punishing crime goes. I'm sure a majority of the crimes being comitted are not being comitted by amatuers. Like others have said incarceration is sometimes a vacation for some of these criminals. Criminals do not fear justice anymore.

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

We definately need more prisons to keep criminals locked-up. When one considers how much it costs for trials of repeat offenders, it would be cheaper in the long run just to keep them warehoused in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota97 View Post
    Yep, no teeth means the dog can't bite so why fear it. They should install revolving doors instead of sally ports in correctional facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Jblack44 View Post
    Bring back the chain gangs, hard labor, and I'm for :eye for an eye" type punishment. Make jail one place a sane man would never want to go to. Now this applies to violent crimes, not the guy who didn't pay taxes.
    It's like old home days for them, hooking up with their ''home boys'' for uninterrupted games of dominoes, card games and pumping iron.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

A couple of points come to mind on this issue:

1) More stuff is illegal in the US than anywhere else in the world - I don't have a source for this but I heard it on the radio and having lived in Europe for a year, I believe it. We have more criminals than anywhere else because we criminalize trivial things. I think this has something to do with the lax prison conditions as well - if you're throwing everyone in jail, not just the ones who deserve it, you can't really make it that tough now can you?

2) Our criminal justice system is so clogged with stupid crimes that resources are taken away from prosecuting the folks that really need prosecuting and keeping them locked up. I personally think that efforts should be focussed roughly 40% on violent crime, 30% on white collar crime and the rest on everything else.

3) As much as I feel there are people who deserve the death penalty, as a civilized society, I don't feel that we can morally do that. Killing someone while defending your own life or the life of loved ones is another story - you're fighting for your life.

Life without parole is probably cheaper than the death penalty the way we have it today. Plenty of people are wrongly sentenced to death and life without parole gives at least some chance of restitution in case of a mistake or fraud.

Edit: What I'm saying is that in addition to punishments being way too lax for certain crimes, they're way too stiff for others. In both cases, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. What we really need is some re-prioritization.
    Last edited by Cycler; February 9th, 2010 at 01:48 PM.

Interesting question, at first I have to think, sure stiffer penaltys would reduce crime, yet take a few examples. The fines here for DUI along with all the associated cost such as alcohol awarness classes and such should be a deterent, yet I believe the arrest rate for DUI continues to climb.
    In States wher murder is a capital offense has the murder rate declined?
    I think higher fines, jail time and other punishments may prevent some crime but there are still those that don't care what happens to them or have weighed the cost verses reward/risk factors and find crime does pay.
    Perhaps we need a three pronged approach:
    1. Stiffer fines and jail sentences.
    2. Better social values instilled at young age.
    3. Greater risk, ie. More cops and more armed citizens

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links