Thoughts on ClipDraw for CCW

This is a discussion on Thoughts on ClipDraw for CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hm - looks uncomfortable. Diff'rent strokes I guess. I have a cheap IWB holster ($11) for my SW 3913...need to free up some $$ to ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on ClipDraw for CCW

Hm - looks uncomfortable. Diff'rent strokes I guess.

I have a cheap IWB holster ($11) for my SW 3913...need to free up some $$ to buy a good one, but I've been using this one now since Dec 2008. Sometimes it's a pain.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    i use it on a s&w model 60 for years. i put one on one of my glock 27. it works. hard to beat. now you will have some say the trigger is not covered. but the trigger is covered, it is covered by my paints and underwear. your paints/underwear will not make your gun go off. your fringer on the trigger will. the gun stays in place and does not come out. just as good as an holster. i say don't knock it untill you try it.
    I agree with Frank. I have one on a Glock 30 and I have had no trouble with anything contacting the trigger because my pants and belt cover it. And it is not against my skin since I wear t-shirt and underwear, a habit my mother got me into.

I have been doing this with this one pistol since I travel alot and putting a holster on and off was a pain. Having the clip makes it very easy to don and doff my pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by CommonMan101 View Post

I would feel less safe with a revolver using a clipdraw. Do the revolvers of today have the trigger safety my Glock has? None of my wheel guns do. If not then it's MORE likely to go off than a Glock when using it. Also, a rev. has one in the chamber and if you feared a ND with a semi with it - what about that a revolver with hammer exposed can get cocked when carried like this? Also, I have dropped my Glock twice and I never feared it going off - even when one was in the chamber. Revolver? I'm thinking there is a much greater chance of it firing if it was dropped.
    I disagree with the comment about the revolvers being less safe when dropped. As far as I know all modern revolvers have a trigger block that prevents ND's when dropped, the trigger block protects the firing pin and only allows the hammer to strike the pin if the trigger has full traveled. At least thats the way it was explained to me.
    As far as the Glock trigger safety, I assume you mean the little arm that is built into the trigger. I admit I have only shot a Glock once, while I enjoyed it, I really dont see how that trigger safety keeps anything that fits into the trigger housing from depressing both the safety and the trigger. Seems to me I could stick a pen or chap stick in the trigger, depress the safety and the trigger both.
    I do agree a long trigger pull makes the glock and the revolver both just as safe. Have to admit that the hammer is an issue on a revolver. This is one reason a holster that comes up past the hammer spur is a good choice.
    As far as the clip, no opinion on that matter.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I would feel less safe with a revolver using a clipdraw. Do the revolvers of today have the trigger safety my Glock has? None of my wheel guns do. If not then it's MORE likely to go off than a Glock when using it.

The idea that a Glock would be a bad choice for a clipdraw is funny to me.
    Think about a revolver versus a trigger safety-only pistol. All the pistol has to do is move the trigger and it will fire. A revolver, on the other hand, has to move the trigger, cock the hammer, and rotate the cylinder before it will fire. That's a lot more external movement that the clothing would inhibit. It's like trying to fire a revolver while gripping the hammer and cylinder. Very unlikely.

And, it not just a Glock but any pistol with trigger safety only.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have used the CD on my Taurus PT-111 sub compact 9mm for a year or so now. I like it for quick stick in your pants and go item but it is not as comfortable as my IWB holster. I do like having the CD though and it only takes a few seconds to remove the two screws for the clip if I want to use the holster. The sticky tape used to hold the mounting tab to the gun is super strong and will not come off. I will use both the CD and holster for my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmdDadof4 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I think I am going to go ahead and get The Clipdraw for the short term and maybe try the Supertuck later on. It appears the main gripe is the exposed trigger, but this comes from some people who hadn't tried it or owned one. The response from the vast majority of those that used one have been positive w/out any accidental discharges. Seeing as the Glocks have a much lighter trigger than my Sigma. I should be okay condition 3 or with one in the chamber. Thankx again guys
    I tried them maybe 30 years ago, when they first came out. I got one for my Colt DS and another for my Colt .380. Stupid me. The second time one guns slid off my belt was the last time; Into the junkbox they went - which is where (I'm willing to bet) the vast majority of them wind up.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

You might want to give "appendix carry" a try (IWB at about 1-2 o'clock).

The "Mr. Softy" from High Noon Holsters is a good low-cost rig that would allow you to experiment without being out a lot of money if you decide you don't like this method.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

My friend uses a clipdraw for this Glock 22, but he doesn't carry condition one.

I have had a clipdraw on my Rohrbaugh R9s for the past 6 months.
    Obviously my weapon is very small, the clip is is all the way to the back of the slide on the right side. I carry it behind my right hip with the clip right next to the second belt loop on my jeans. I clip it onto my regular leather belt and have no problems. It has never fallen out nor does it move enough to create concern. I also have a supertuck for my p2000sk, but I rarely use it because it is too bulky for me 6'1 160lbs. The supertuck is very comfortable for a larger weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    And not only with the Clipdraw do you have an exposed trigger, AND the gun rubbing on your exposed skin, AND the gun rusting from your body sweat, but the Universal Clipdraw is also attached to your weapon by "VHB" double-sided tape. And we all know how 100% reliable tape is, don't we?

-Bill
    So.. Are you speaking from experience or just saying what you imagine and bashing something you have no experience with?

Not all clipdraws are the same. Mine uses two screws that go into a replacement plate that comes with it. Very sturdy. I have no idea about the tape version.

As far as rust goes? Haven't seen it! Maybe it's a Glock thing.

As far as the gun rubbing on your skin? My big ol G20 sure does! Don't know about smaller guns. I don't reccomend this method as the only way to carry - just when you need every bit of slimness you can get.

As far as the "exposed trigger" thing - that makes sense when you just think about it but I haven't come close to the trigger even moving. Then again, I don't pull Plaxicos and grab it through my pants - I grab it by the grip. The safety on the trigger that prevents glancing force to act on it seems to work.

Regardless of that fact... it says right on to not use with one in the chamber so if you get an AD/ND it's an ND for not following the instruction for use. If you don't want to carry without one in the chamber then you shouldn't use one.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Think about a revolver versus a trigger safety-only pistol. All the pistol has to do is move the trigger and it will fire. A revolver, on the other hand, has to move the trigger, cock the hammer, and rotate the cylinder before it will fire. That's a lot more external movement that the clothing would inhibit. It's like trying to fire a revolver while gripping the hammer and cylinder. Very unlikely.

And, it not just a Glock but any pistol with trigger safety only.
    The trigger safety is not the only safety on a Glock. But I'll take it you mean one without the usual external you find on others - the kind, I would guess, that have a chance of being flipped off by all the contact when using a clipdraw? Do the wheelgun clipdraws require the chamber under hammer to be empty? Just asking

If your gun is hammerless then I'd say - no problem with a wheelgun. But not all of them are so I made the "more likely" statement as regards to the possibilty yours doesn't have a blocker for a dropfire and has a hammer exposed - compared to a Glock, guns like that SEEM, to me, more risky to use with a clipdraw.

I wasn't saying the trigger would cock a wheel gun in this use. But I understand assuming I meant that since the main worry talked about was a Glock trigger being tripped.

I'm more concerned about an exposed hammer when carrying this way.
    I was thinking along the lines that one with an exposed hammer may get cocked with the movements acting on the surfaces as you bend over, hit the top of the gun while working, etc. Then you're a lot closer to tripping it. Also, Do all wheel guns have some kind of blocker preventing a hammer from being driven into the primer in a drop? Dropping my G20 twice I never worried about it but I sure didn't try to catch it with my hands.

Once again. My instructions say to not use with one in the chamber. Can't have an ND when properly used so it's really a moot point when one is worried about their semi gong off using one. I haven't seen the instructions on the wheelgun clipdraws so I wonder what they say in this regard.

Is this for those that wish to carry a Glock with one in the chamber using clipdraw?
    Order Clipdraw - Saf-T-Blok for Glocks

So.. Are you speaking from experience or just saying what you imagine and bashing something you have no experience with?
    Hi CommonMan101 (Great nom-de-plume!),

No, I do not have ANY experience with the a Universal Clip Draw system. (I never bought one, 'cause I like to think that I've lost my youthful recklessness that use to get me into so much trouble! ).

My post was an opinion based, over the course of 50 years, on the use of many kinds of adhesives -- many of which were hyped to have amazing holding properties and strengths; but in the end failed miserably.

And I don't think that my opinion is a foolish one: Am I supposed to run full material testing over temperature, humidity, shear strength, oil resistance, solvent resistance (Hoppes No 9), etc, on Universal Clip Draws before forming an opinion on whether it is a good idea for a loaded firearm to be secured to your person by a tape, no matter how strong that tape is suppose to be?

So, in my opinion, a Universal Clip Draw is a dangerous concept -- it might be OK to hold your cell phone, but not a firearm.

Again, all of the above is IMHO

-Bill

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The trigger safety is not the only safety on a Glock.

Also, Do all wheel guns have some kind of blocker preventing a hammer from being driven into the primer in a drop? Dropping my G20 twice I never worried about it but I sure didn't try to catch it with my hands.

Is this for those that wish to carry a Glock with one in the chamber using clipdraw?
    Order Clipdraw - Saf-T-Blok for Glocks
    Bear in mind that all 3 "safeties" on a Glock (or other makes with no thumb, grip, or likewise external safeties) are connected to the trigger, and if the trigger is pulled by any means (t-shirt, etc.), the gun fires. There is no separate action needed to discharge the gun. It takes very little pressure to press the exposed trigger "safety" and little trigger pull to disengage the other 2 safeties.
    In the truest sense, there are no safeties on Glocks, in the manner of something separate that must be unlocked or disengaged to pull the trigger and fire the gun. A true safety prevent the guns from firing--period-- until disengaged.

Just about any quality wheelgun made since the '70s has a hammer block or transfer bar that is trigger actuated and whose purpose is to prevent a ND if the gun is dropped. It is not a "safety" as such, meaning it does not prevent the gun from firing if you pull the trigger. All modern revolvers can be carried chambered without fear of a ND if dropped. Snagging the trigger is another story, but it still requires more effort and mechanical movement than a pistol.

There are a few devices mean to protect the trigger on Glocks, etc. Safe-t-blok is one; another is a plastic cover that attached to a belt loop, etc. and comes off when the pistol is drawn. Don't recall the name of it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Once again. My instructions say to not use with one in the chamber. Can't have an ND when properly used so it's really a moot point when one is worried about their semi gong off using one.
    Yet another reason not to use one. If it can't safely be used with a round chambered, it's useless, IMHO.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

i used to use the clip draw and it works great. I got the cross breed super tuck now and it works even better.
    NRA Member

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links