Thoughts on ClipDraw for CCW

This is a discussion on Thoughts on ClipDraw for CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I feel like I conceal Okay with my Galco Kydex IWB holster, but only at 4-5:00. I'm around 175 lbs so 3:00 prints and makes ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on ClipDraw for CCW

Thoughts on ClipDraw for CCW

I feel like I conceal Okay with my Galco Kydex IWB holster, but only at 4-5:00. I'm around 175 lbs so 3:00 prints and makes the jeans shape alter slightly. Naturally, I am looking towards the Super Tuck Crossbreed for when I have to dress nice and tuck. I was wondering though, if the ClipDraw would be the better option for summer/warm weather or just when wearing shorts?

Any of you guys have experience with the ClipDraw? Sounds like for me it may be a good option as undercover LE swear by it for ultra concealment in some of the reviews. Sounds like for the money, I'd get more use out of it...

Discuss.
    One Man's Trash is another Man's Wife.
    A gun is like an abortion. When you are unprotected and get surprised, you always want one.

2. Remove Ads

Exposed trigger? No thanks.

Some times you need to adjust your items of dress to make IWB work optimally.

I rarely wear IWB any more. But when I do, I wear a supertuck at 3:15.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A lot of what I think of the Clipdraw depends on what make firearm you're planning on using it with. I wouldn't recommend it for Glocks or anyother pistol that doen't have an external safety. There's too much risk of something getting into the trigger and Kapow!

I think it would be okay witha revolver more so than pistols.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have talked about this quite a bit (by my standards) but I am happy to bore everyone again. I LOVE this product. I don't use it for semi-autos because I am on a revolver binge of late, but they are amazing. Get the "Universal" clipdraw that attaches to the weapon with VHB tape (at $19 plus shipping, why not try it?) You can control how high the weapon rides by where you place the plate on the weapon. I like it with the grip just barely clearing my belt line with the clip hooked onto the pants under the gun belt. I alternate between a CA Bulldog .44 and a Security Six, and both disappear with only a t-shirt (and that Security Six a'int dainty by any standards) Both these guns have full hammers so I practice drawing the weapon by twisting it in towards my body as I draw, and I can get those puppies into play very quickly without the hammers catching. I augment this with a .32 Seecamp in a Desantis front pocket holster.

On the trigger question, if the weapon is held tightly against your side (I have them at 3 O'clock) then a double action revolver of this size with a factory trigger pull is not going to discharge. The trigger housing is between your pants and your underwear (you kids who ride "Commando" are on your own...and gross, BTW) and the weapon absolutely WILL NOT ride up off of your pantline, the clip is too deep (the exception is the S&W Clipdraw that bolts onto the grip. That one did not stay put and I switched to the Universal on my Smith as well)

All this is said with great respect towards our kind sponsors who make fantastic holsters..petty sure I will remain in the minority on this product.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

I'll be carrying my S&W Sigma, if I choose the CD. You think the hefty pull on this is enough to keep from AD or should I carry Condition 3 with this device??
    One Man's Trash is another Man's Wife.
    A gun is like an abortion. When you are unprotected and get surprised, you always want one.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm not familiar with that firearm (Sigma), only have a Glock. I'm leary of any weapon with no external safety or grip safety. No matter how heavy a pistol trigger pull is, it's a relative term when something jams into the trigger. Ask Plexico Burris how easily a pistol in the pants goes off.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm mixed on this. I've carried a Glock and Kahr without a holster in the past and was never really worried about a ND. Now I use a Crossbreed Minituck for my Kahr PM9 and only carry the Kahr that way.

I do use a factory clip on my Kel-Tec P32 and will soon have a LCP and put the clip on that. I'm not worried as much about that gun since the trigger pull is quite heavy, but it's not my EDC. My belt always covers the trigger and I'm not worried about my shirt somehow pulling a heavy trigger.

Of course, a lot of people don't like any kind of exposed trigger. :)

We used the clip draw or variations of it back in the 70's. They're great on the small frame revolvers and I'm going to try one on my 1911, shortly. What's nice about it even if you're not wearing a holster you can safely carry it. Many times I've run out the house with my sidearm (while off duty) and realized I didn't have the holster.
    I think they're great and that there is a place for them.
    Peaceful

I agree with OldVet. Depends on the gun. A D.A. revolver or an auto with an external safety I think would be safe enough. Also might consider weight and size. Smaller and Lighter being the best. Don't look like much support for a gun of substance. I don't have a clipdraw, but considered it a while back and just decided not to go that way. Best to you..

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Exposed trigger? No thanks.

Some times you need to adjust your items of dress to make IWB work optimally.

I rarely wear IWB any more. But when I do, I wear a supertuck at 3:15.
    I agree!!!!
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I fashioned a kydex trigger cover for my KelTec factory clipped P-11. The trigger cover is long on the left side for flipping off with the thumb. Added benefit - it is very difficult to inadvertently touch the trigger when drawing. As an inexperienced concealed carry person, I thought it prudent. After a few years of practice, I may do away with the trigger cover. Right now, I am used to it. I have tried several different methods of carry for the P-11. Clipped on the trou inside the belt at 1:00 is my favorite.

I don't like a carry method that doesn't keep the trigger covered. There are plenty of small, thin holsters you can use for this type of carry.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

i use the clip on my keltec p11......
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

VIP Member
    In addition to the trigger issue, I wouldn't want my weapon against my sweaty body. Even if they were free, I'll never use a Clip Draw.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    In addition to the trigger issue, I wouldn't want my weapon against my sweaty body. Even if they were free, I'll never use a Clip Draw.
    Ever had you weapon against your (hairy) body and draw? owch
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links