Carry to Hospital for Delivery of Baby

This is a discussion on Carry to Hospital for Delivery of Baby within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Midnight412 I don't want to be holding her close and having two CCWs pressing on her and the baby either. Assuming that ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Carry to Hospital for Delivery of Baby

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight412 View Post
    I don't want to be holding her close and having two CCWs pressing on her and the baby either.
    Assuming that carrying at the hospital/clinic is legal where you are ...

I wouldn't worry about desiring to not have gear "pressing on her" while there. I'm sure the two of you won't even notice. So long as you're concealed, it shouldn't be a problem.

Consider pocket carry, if concerned about "printing" or "pressing." That should sidestep both concerns. A Kahr PM9, KelTec PF9, S&W .38/.357 revolver or similar should do the trick.

If you find need to quickly acquire a decent pocket holster, consider these two sources:

Both have a large in-stock inventory.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

People keep suggesting to conceal, but in the event of a C-section, you're going to be in your underwear with scrubs over it. Where are you going to conceal a gun? I wouldn't take a chance and possibly ruin one of the most important days of your life.

If you're still worried about your safety during those few days, find a hospital that does have secure check-in/out in the maternity ward.

cj
    Well, a SmartCarry would be an option no matter what you're wearing, but when mine was born last year, I left everything at home in the safe and never once worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    Leave it at home. And remember... only let her hold ONE finger, no more. You'll understand why if you forget.
    Oh, that brings back painful memories!!!!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

yeah no firearms in NC hospitals
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    It would take me hours to find the cites I've read at MGO.org, but my CPL instructor said the very same thing as your instructor. I seldom OC, just because there are some things some people are better off not knowing. However as I understand the law it is legal.
    You might find the exact wording here:
    MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mc...t_270962_7.pdf
    Interesting not that on page 2 retired LEO's are exempt from gun free zones, I would therefore assume other CPL holders are still prohibited.

I believe there is a list of Michigan Attorney General opinions that can be searched and there may be an opinion on this however I don't really want to be the test case for open carry in a gun free zone.

This is from AG opinion #71 dated jan 15, 2009

Concealed Pistol License pistol free zones
    MCL 28.425o was amended to extend CPL pistol free zone exemptions to the following while off-duty: county corrections officers; MDOC parole or probation officers; all reserve officers or sheriff’s posse members; and MSP motor carrier officers and capitol security officers.
    Before the amendment, those persons were only exempt from pistol free zones while on-duty. These exemptions continue to apply only to those persons having a CPL.

So it looks like the AG says IF you have a CPL and are LEO, Corrections, Sheriff posse or MSP motor carrier officer etc, you can carry, but regular CPL's cannot, even OC.

It's illegal in NC to carry into a hospital, among most other places for that matter, lol.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

I left mine in the car when we went with my daughter and her husband when our grandbaby was born. I didnt even second guess that decision.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Like the above... the hospital is going to be a pretty safe place. They are used to dealing with the frantic people, druggies, morons, and thugs.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    I’m not sure which is worst. Getting caught in a hospital with a gun, or having to use a gun in a hospital. Granted, weapons show up all the time in the ER, but the risk management folks seem to be better prepared in that area.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

It's not the hospitals you have to worry about, it's the parking lots.I would leave the gun home hope for the best. I have carried while visiting a friend especially when I lived in Miami

Why risk it and the possibility of losing you CCW permit if caught.
    I would just leave it at home. IMHO
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Bo I tell you what, I'd get me a nice lil J frame and a belly band and carry that sucker sign or no sign. Might even back that up with a nice PPK or Glock 27 in my ankle holster. At what times are our women most vulnerable? During delivery! Might make you feel better too with strange men touching your woman. A couple other favorites: Kel-Tec P3A3 or P-11 carried IWB (Supertuck) at 4:00. That way when your woman hugs you she'll know your there to protect her and that lil one.

Careful, she might feel like shooting you at the time! You can name her "Pistol" so any time you can't carry your pistol, you just carry your little "Pistol". Believe me you'll feel like your packin when you carry the big bag with all with diapers, lotions, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Ya, that was one of the few times I didn't have my gun on me. It was in the room in our bags. There will be about 15 people in that small room. It will be difficult to conceal. If you can, keep it in a bag in your sights.
    AGREED 100%!!! My son was born on Jan. 21st so I have recent experience. There were no signs anywhere when we checked in. I put my CCW in my bag in the corner of the room because I was only wearing a t-shirt and did want to print in front of Doc, RN's, family and friends. I stayed with my wife the whole 48 hours til discharge, without going home. I did leave the hospital on several occasions to go and get food so I was able to strap it on and go. That is something else you might want to consider.

In short, if the hospital is not posted then take it and put it in your bag.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links