Carry to Hospital for Delivery of Baby - Page 4

Carry to Hospital for Delivery of Baby

This is a discussion on Carry to Hospital for Delivery of Baby within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You should have no problem carrying at the hospital. You won't be able to really hold your wife anyway as the rails on the bed ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Carry to Hospital for Delivery of Baby

You should have no problem carrying at the hospital. You won't be able to really hold your wife anyway as the rails on the bed will be in the way. When we finally had to have a C section all I had to do was put scrubs on over my regular clothes. I didn't have to change. I just carried normally at the 3:00 with no problem.
    I'm glad I did carry as I did have to go home a few times to go let the dog out to go to the bathroom and feed him in the morning. Some o fthe best times to go would be at 1 or 2 in the morning when the wife was asleep and there was no traffic so I could get home and back rather quickly. Here hospital carry is legal so that wasnt an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    First of all, if I found out that my wife was with child... ...we're in our 60's.
    Hey, it has happened before....

Oh, OP. I'd leave the pistol in the car secured in a car safe. At home is fine, but a lot can happen to and from the house.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

When my baby was born my gun was on the vehicle. But when we took him home I was armed like I always am. I went in and out of the hospital with my gun and I did not see any signs.
    Why would I be unarmed if I was transporting the most precious cargo in our family?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight412 View Post
    Help / Suggestions?
    Home birth. Both of my kids were born in my bedroom, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

This Hospital not posted

Registered Mom-in-Law yesterday for pacemaker procedure. No 30-06 sign at main entrance, so I carried. This morning ai 5:45 AM, I brought M-i-L thru Emergency entrance. Small sign read "No weopons allowed". I gnored it as it didnt meet the requiered wording. I went by 3 security guards with badges on shirt but non were armed. Right now Im at waiting room with security guard on duty with just uniform and badge. Theres another entrance here w/o sign. I feel good. This is 1st Hospital in my area w/o 30-06 sign

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redxd View Post
    At what times are our women most vulnerable? During delivery! Might make you feel better too with strange men touching your woman.
    Please tell me this is a joke...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Glad to see someone else caught that. I certainly hope it is.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

My wife had asked me to not carry when we went to the hospital, as she didn't want to worry about grabbing it or having it poke in her hip as she went through labor... (we were planning a natural birth)...

We agreed I would leave it in our "personal bag" once we got to our labor & delivery room.

Well, as they say, plans change - the labor didn't go as we hoped - anyway, I never did put it in the bag and carried throughout labor, delivery and the two days we were in post-delivery...

Even managed to not get made when I passed out during my wife's epidural

BTW: no law bars carry in a hospital in NC....

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    If its a joke, its hilarious. If its not, well I guess I should count my blessings that my wife's OBGYN has a great bedside manner.

My wife and I are expecting our first child during the first week of March. Today, during a child birth class, we were touring the maternity ward of the hospital, which made me think about CCW while she was actually in labor / giving birth. I was CCW at the time.

We talked about it at the house when we got home. She and I are both uncertain about it, mostly because of the thought it could get in the way during labor where she wants to be held close (I carry a S&W M&P 45 FS at 1:00 IWB and S&W CS45 at 11:00 IWB) I don't want to be holding her close and having two CCWs pressing on her and the baby either.

We considered my Beretta 21A (in .22LR) in ankle holster, but in the event I am kneeling, etc. the possibilty of it showing and making hospital staff uncomfortable.

I have a locking case I could put it in and keep it in our suitcase, but I really don't like leaving a gun out of my control even if it is locked.

I tried carrying at 5:00 IWB, but I always seem to print very easily there. Help / Suggestions?
    My advice is to concentrate more on the mindset and less on the tools. Give a few minutes of thought to some "what if" scenarios at the hospital. You will still have your knife and pepper spray with you, even if you leave the gun in the car, right?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Ankle carried my snubbie, hid my PT 145 in a false bottom in the camera bag. The 100 pound security guards didn't make me feel safe.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

LLT
    Firstly, congratulations! It will be the best day of your life. :)

If this is your first kid, trust me when I say - if there are complications with the delivery (there were with my wife's) or even if everything goes perfectly for that matter, you may not be in a safe state of mind. Do everyone a favor and leave it at home or in the car.

The maternity ward of the hospital we delivered our daughter in, was very secure - you had to show ID to get past the steel doors, they had armed guards, security bracelets that went on you, the mother and the baby, etc.

Enjoy it and congrats again to you and your wife.

Everyone else already said it all, so I'll just add this:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

when my son was born I carried but found that my gun got in the way during the whole birth process. Keep in mind that you may not have the ability to take your gun off or over 24hrs. I don't care how comfortable of a holster you have ccw for 24 hours straight would be a little uncomfortable. Things got so crazy in the delivery room that the last thing that I was able to worry about was some bad guy trying something dumb. I took my gun off about 12hrs. in to the whole thing and put it in my wifes suit case. I think that there is a time and a place for all things. There is most always a time and a place for ccw but this not one. This is coming from a guy who carries even when he is at home and at work. Keep the most important thing in front of you and that is having a new child. Children are a blessing so as a person who is going to be a new dad here is what the book of Psalms says about children

Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
    children a reward from him.
    Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
    are sons born in one's youth.
    Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.
    They will not be put to shame
    when they contend with their enemies in the gate.
    Psalm 127:3-5 (NIV)
    May God bless you and your family :)
    Last edited by gymteach65; February 13th, 2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: typo
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
    Bring Enough GUN!!

My wife and I are expecting our first child during the first week of March. Today, during a child birth class, we were touring the maternity ward of the hospital, which made me think about CCW while she was actually in labor / giving birth. I was CCW at the time.

We talked about it at the house when we got home. She and I are both uncertain about it, mostly because of the thought it could get in the way during labor where she wants to be held close (I carry a S&W M&P 45 FS at 1:00 IWB and S&W CS45 at 11:00 IWB) I don't want to be holding her close and having two CCWs pressing on her and the baby either.

We considered my Beretta 21A (in .22LR) in ankle holster, but in the event I am kneeling, etc. the possibilty of it showing and making hospital staff uncomfortable.

I have a locking case I could put it in and keep it in our suitcase, but I really don't like leaving a gun out of my control even if it is locked.

I tried carrying at 5:00 IWB, but I always seem to print very easily there. Help / Suggestions?
    At our hospital here in Owensboro Ky they now have metal detectors. It was a shock to me when i went to visit a friend in your situation you really don't want to be stopped and asked to take your weapon back to your car.
    NRA Member

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links