Carry to Hospital for Delivery of Baby - Page 6

Carry to Hospital for Delivery of Baby

This is a discussion on Carry to Hospital for Delivery of Baby within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Security at hospitals that I have been in isn't that great. While in training, I had 2 6 week clinical rotations at Greater Southeast Community ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Carry to Hospital for Delivery of Baby

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Security at hospitals that I have been in isn't that great. While in training, I had 2 6 week clinical rotations at Greater Southeast Community Hospital in DC, first was Internal medicine, then I was somewhere else for a 6 week rotation, then back at GSE for 6 weeks of L&D. During the time between my rotations, someone came into the lobby and started shooting, and I believe someone died (please keep in mind that was 23 years ago, and I have only 1 thing shorter than my memory, that I will not go into out of respect for DC's policies). Now, not only was this in the worst city for handguns (1987 was long before Heller), the hospital was in one of the worst sections in DC, if you can imagine THAT! I drove past "Street Corner Pharmaceutical reps" on my way in and home. Rough area, but I dot a really good medical educational experience there, especially in internal medicine.

As far as your situation, if you feel that you absolutely must have a weapon, ask if you can wear a fanny pack with the scrubs. They may say no, but if not, you can get one set up with a holster (they even have more "touristy" looking ones, that just don't look like you're carrying. There's also Smartcarry, which you can try, and see if you get printing. But scrubs are made to be loose fitting, unless you get the ones that are more form fitting. Personally, handguns aside, I always go for comfort. Obviously, you can go with the 22 in an ankle holster as you mentioned, but it should be a last choice, but certainly is better than nothing (remember the first rule of gunfights- "Have a gun!"). Perhaps you can scrounge up enough cash to get a small used 9mm, and a new ankle holster or smart carry.

What ever you decide, Congratulations on the new little one. As someone who loves children, and always wanted to be a father, but I had a first wife who didn't want one, and a wonderful second wife who can't, so I'm a tad jealous, but very happy for you. Best of luck!

here
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by ASHTXSNIPER View Post
    This gave me a laugh. First off the OR is not an oxygen rich environment if it was they would not have placed a mask on my wifes face supplying oxygen. If I had fired a shot it would have done little more than ring everyones ears in the OR. Second I didn't have time to return the weapon to my vehicle before she went into surgery and I was not about to leave it in the delivery room unattended. It was an emergency C-section I barely had time to change clothes. Third as LEO I am supposed to act on anything that happens in my presence or view unlike everyone else who is supposed to try and make an escape. Its called being prepared to do my job not paranoia. You have a great imagination but I hate to tell you that things are not as you believe or have envisioned.
    OK I mis-spoke, its all of the compressed Oxygen bottles around the room if they need it for back up along with any other agents used to sterilize. Unfortunately my imagination is reality based. Being an LEO in any situation I hope you would be prepared to act, however the likely hood of an assualt in an operating room is much higher than my chances of winning the lottery and I don't play it.

As far as not having time to disarm and secure your weapon, I then can understand your situation, however your one of a few who may have had this challenge during the birth of your child. For the average individual wondering about carrying or wanting to carry during the birth of there child, I would not suggest that in anyway there's really no need for it.

FWIW As an LEO now retired, I had to carry anytime I was dressed and moving night or day. But having 5 kids I wanted to be as comfortable as possible for the long haul of waiting for our miracles to arrive each one of them. And carring a weapon would have only aided my wife during labor in shooting me , her looks and grip were enough to scare me as it was.
    Dave
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaTN View Post
    I am sorry to tell you that is illegal in "major" Hospitals in NC (if not the vast majority or all) to carry concealed . Why I have treated patients at all level 1's in NC (at one time or another) and they all prohibit concealed carry due the fact that "unlawfully on any educational property in North Carolina", med school, nursing school ect....does the hospital have any educational component to it? Bottom line
    While some hospitals are posted, and others are owned by universities, and yet others are owned by local or county governments, there are still many, many privately owned hospitals in the state. Simply being a hospital does not preclude concealed carry.

As far as why carry in the hospital? http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-hospital.html

It can happen anytime, anywhere. Either carry always, or always bet right.

In our case, we were in the hospital for three days - and the only time I left was to get stuff from the car.
    During labor, while my wife was still ambulatory, it simply never was an issue. and once she had her epidural and was confined to the bed, it was even less of one.

More than anytime during her pregnancy, the idea of her being confined to a bed, unable to escape if need be, made the decision to carry one of the easiest decisions since I applied for a permit in the first place.

Lesson Learned Gun + Discharge + OXYGEN = BOOM
    Please explain this. Oxygen is not explosive. It does not burn. Oxygen merely allows flammable items to burn better if exposed to heat or open flame. A gun shot is neither.

Have I missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by Davensquirt View Post
    OK I mis-spoke, its all of the compressed Oxygen bottles around the room if they need it for back up along with any other agents used to sterilize. Unfortunately my imagination is reality based. Being an LEO in any situation I hope you would be prepared to act, however the likely hood of an assualt in an operating room is much higher than my chances of winning the lottery and I don't play it.

As far as not having time to disarm and secure your weapon, I then can understand your situation, however your one of a few who may have had this challenge during the birth of your child. For the average individual wondering about carrying or wanting to carry during the birth of there child, I would not suggest that in anyway there's really no need for it.

FWIW As an LEO now retired, I had to carry anytime I was dressed and moving night or day. But having 5 kids I wanted to be as comfortable as possible for the long haul of waiting for our miracles to arrive each one of them. And carring a weapon would have only aided my wife during labor in shooting me , her looks and grip were enough to scare me as it was.
    Sorry that I came of the wrong way Dave I have been a little high strung lately and things come out wrong. Have a great day.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Please explain this. Oxygen is not explosive. It does not burn. Oxygen merely allows flammable items to burn better if exposed to heat or open flame. A gun shot is neither.

Have I missed something?
    I am not a chemist or an engineer, just going on all the warnings and signage, No Smoking Oxygen in Use, All of the Electrical outlets in Hospital rooms have colored dots signifying that they are safe for use around gases (I believe they are spark free). I think it may also be due to oxygen in the medical field is usually in its purest form.

I might just call those guys on Myth Busters or there are articles
    along with safety protocol for use of oxygen here is one I Googled http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/Patient...e/o-sf-hos.pdf
    Dave
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    While some hospitals are posted, and others are owned by universities, and yet others are owned by local or county governments, there are still many, many privately owned hospitals in the state. Simply being a hospital does not preclude concealed carry.

As far as why carry in the hospital? http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-hospital.html

It can happen anytime, anywhere. Either carry always, or always bet right.

In our case, we were in the hospital for three days - and the only time I left was to get stuff from the car.
    During labor, while my wife was still ambulatory, it simply never was an issue. and once she had her epidural and was confined to the bed, it was even less of one.

More than anytime during her pregnancy, the idea of her being confined to a bed, unable to escape if need be, made the decision to carry one of the easiest decisions since I applied for a permit in the first place.
    I agree with you about carrying in hospitals, I petitioned the board of of one to allow carry years ago and was basically told that depends upon the interpretation "educational", do med students rotate through here, are there medical residents rotating ect basically what level of educational role does the hospital play ect. For me the risk of loosing hospital privileges and credentials are important.

And to the OP congratulations for the the new addition to your family.

All of the Electrical outlets in Hospital rooms have colored dots signifying that they are safe for use around gases (I believe they are spark free). I think it may also be due to oxygen in the medical field is usually in its purest form.
    I do believe you are correct. The point is that oxygen is not flammable in any form. Oxygen, as a necessary component of fire (Oxygen + Heat + Fuel), is dangerous, but a spark would need to ignite a fuel in order for the oxygen to feed the flame/fire just as fuel is needed.

Pure oxygen just makes fires burn a lot better. :)

I've seen COPD patients smoke with their oxygen tanks and tubes on. Very depressing to tell the truth.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links