Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry?

This is a discussion on Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't mind me, just waiting for the train wreck....

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry?

JD
    Administrator

Don't mind me, just waiting for the train wreck.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    I believe open carry does threaton CC. The sheep are not used to seeing guns. Signs will be their answer.

Keep it unseen and they won't know it's there.
    There's the way things are and there's the way things ought to be.

Today, if you were to try and do business while O.C.-ing, you're going to open up a lot of controversy, possibly get fired etc. It draws a lot of attention, mostly negative.

I didn't live 150 years ago but apparently back in the day, it was not unusual to OC/CC all the time.

But today, it is unusual. Should it be? Probably not.

I have no intention of OC-ing but I kind of appreciate those who do. I just hope that it doesn't backfire.

Did I understand that correctly? In Calif. you can open carry but the gun has to be unloaded. If so why carry?

Set me straight!
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

I can see this both ways, but in Cali it is hard to get a CWP, so the only choice is to OC. Maybe if they see more and more OC they will decide to allow CC more to keep the sheep content. JMO
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I believe open carry does threaton CC. The sheep are not used to seeing guns. Signs will be their answer.

I agree with the above, except that I would also add; "Signs and laws will be their answer. "

We just can't be too wrapped up in our own self-defense attitude and ignore the majority of folks who are either gun-phobic, or who feel that it is irresponsible to be seen in public with a firearm.

(We should not forget that open (AND sometimes even concealed) carry was virtually unheard of in the USA, even in the 1800's, in anywhere but the "Wild West" areas; and even in the wild west open carrying of firearms was normally banned within most towns and cities of any appreciable size by the early 1880s).

Out of sight is out of mind!!

-Bill

ADDED: But I sure do respect OC'ers; they sure have a lot of cajones!
    (PS: I recall when I was only about 10 years old (around 1965), and I saw an OC'er walking through a Texas town that we were traveling through -- it really impressed the heck out of me, and I thought; "now there goes a free man...". I remember it fondly to this day! But I very much doubt that a gun-phobic citizen would have had such a positive feeling about it...).

I completely understand the desire to CC because someone does not want to OC. As a personal choice that's fine. But I feel that people have to see things to believe them. As it stands most folks see cops, LEO's, and criminals on TV carrying. What they don't see is law abiding citizens going about their day armed. I think that's too bad. Hiding the gun by CC will get you the protection from a BG that you seek but I'm unsure that it does much to forward the idea that lot's of normal folks carry. If you are outside the CC or OC community all you have to go by are numbers on a page. And most folks don't pay any attention to that for any longer than the newscast or article makes them.

That's why I OC.

AS far as Unloaded OC in CA. It's to prove the point that folks are allowed to be armed and to prove how silly the OC law is I would imagine. Like has been said, CCP's are hard to come by. What options do folks suggest to prove the point otherwise?

FWIW, I prefer the either/ or scenario. Where both OC and CC are allowed. And I do both in NC. Then you have a choice, now that's freedom! I honestly hope this does not go south before I get back from work.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    OC by itself does not, however, I think some of the all or nothing antics do. A lot of CC has had success by flying under the radar. Out of sight out of mind sort of thing.
    Now that the OC movement seems to be growing a bit, you can bet you are going to see more signage and opposition to carry guns in general, simply because it has been brought to the sheeple's attention, or maybe even shoved in their faces.
    All that can be good or bad in the long run, only time will tell.
    Best answer. Again......being here just makes me happy, it enlightens me, and it actually makes me a better person. On those days when I seem to think to myself there isn't much going for humanity, this place and these folks will turn it around in a heartbeat. Give SIXTO a win on his daily double.
    I'd like to give you an excerpt I've read from a comment on a Blog somewhere in the past that I thought worth saving in text only. It's rather simple, and was posted as a reply of course, but I think it fits very well in this thread, and answers the question about OC, and speaks to the sheeple at the same time.
    Enigma, you misunderstood my point. In the majority of the USA, the odds are that someone around you is already carrying legally without your knowledge. Only Illinois and Wisconsin prohibit that entirely. Thus, your phobia is only activated at the sight of an openly, peacefully carried gun on an individual behaving in a non-threatening manner.
    Deep down inside, I know this country and the people need to find the backbone they once had. Now we are inundated with crybabies and squirrel nuts as our equals in society, and our elected officials as self-proclaimed Americans who couldn't tell you what it means to be American. If the forefathers of this country are watching us now, they are surely looking down, and with tears in their eyes. How could such things come to pass amongst the people of a nation built on integrity, common goals, ideals, moral beliefs, and the blood of those dedicated to protect such things?
    Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry?
    No...... The question might be reworded to replace "Does" with 'Will'.
    'Will open carry threaten concealed carry'? It very well might. I never thought too much about it until now. I'm still going to carry openly given the opportunity. I have in the past, and I will again.

I don't think that OC will ever become more prevalent than CC. The only exception I can see is in states/cities that don't issue CC permits and OC is legal. In these same states I can see OC becaming more prominent. People will always find a way of exercising their 2nd Amendment rights.

I prefer to CC the vast majority of the time. I do OC on a less frequent basis as well. As long as OC is legal here in NV I will do so once in a while.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Yes IWLA, "open carry" in CA. is "condition 4".

Kyle
    Be responsible for your own actions.
    ---
    http://www.calguns.net/

I agree with the right to carry period. That said, there are consequences - some unintended - to doing so. We talk about SA a lot and if you see a bunch of people who make you uncomfortable avoid the area. A person's comfort is individual and for many seeing an open carry, even on a Billy Graham will make them uncomfortable. Commercial places want everyone comfortable for business reasons so they will post signs.

We can win the battle of law suits and lose the war of carrying. I for one will stop carrying if I have to keep my gun in the trunk - why bother.

Nary a problem in Virginia...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I OC and CC signs hold no legal weight in GA i dont look for them....no where in town have i been asked not to carry only at books a million i was asked to CC only.....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Do you know why sheep have no problem driving though the "bad" part of town with gang tags defaming public & private property and people clearly tagging there bodies and type of dress to outwardly show their allegiance to a criminal life style?

But a law abiding citizen exercising there conditional rights to protect them self is feared and have LEO called on them. "Man with a gun!!!"
    It's simple the left has been programing us to cheer for the "poor misguided youth", "they can be fixed". But a person that owns a gun or God forbid carries one is "gun nut" and just waiting for an excuse to kill someone.
    It's very simple once you get you head out of the sand. OC is critical to keeping CC. The sheep need to be educated on a daily basis who the BG's are and who good guys are.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Commercial places want everyone comfortable for business reasons so they will post signs.

We can win the battle of law suits and lose the war of carrying. I for one will stop carrying if I have to keep my gun in the trunk - why bother.

I had my CCW in Raleigh, North Carolina, in the mid nineties. But for all intents and purposes it was useless; almost every business had a "No Guns" sign*. I stopped carrying.

More OC may force business owners in other states to post their businesses as "No Carry" in order to make their other (majority) customers comfortable. That would be bad.

-Bill

*Don't know if that has changed now or not

To me OC is often and in many places an unnecessary provocation.

And yes, having incidents can cause legislative actions to limit CC. In a town I live, an OC guy was "taken down" by the local PD. He was at a children's park and a 911 call was made. Even though the guy was lawfully carrying, it was unnecessary to flaunt his right to do so. It didn't serve a purpose except to cause a scene.

Our ability to CC can be threatened by such stunts and limitations can be enacted to reduce our ability to carry if/when we want.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links