Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry? - Page 3

Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry?

This is a discussion on Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It works the other way, too. In Wisconsin, the argument against concealed carry legislation was that it was legal to carry openly, therefore they were ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry?

It works the other way, too. In Wisconsin, the argument against concealed carry legislation was that it was legal to carry openly, therefore they were not violating the state Constitution right to bear arms.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    I believe open carry does threaton CC. The sheep are not used to seeing guns. Signs will be their answer.

Keep it unseen and they won't know it's there.
    I agree.

Signs, Signs.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

We don't need training to excercise a right.

That said, does open carry threaten concealed carry?-It shouldn't, but the fact is sometimes it does.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    To me OC is often and in many places an unnecessary provocation.

And yes, having incidents can cause legislative actions to limit CC. In a town I live, an OC guy was "taken down" by the local PD. He was at a children's park and a 911 call was made. Even though the guy was lawfully carrying, it was unnecessary to flaunt his right to do so. It didn't serve a purpose except to cause a scene.
    Our ability to CC can be threatened by such stunts and limitations can be enacted to reduce our ability to carry if/when we want.
    To me, this is an absolutely ridiculous comment.
    You say he was legally carrying, is OC legal without a permit? If so, perhaps he has no permit, which would make CC illegal for him.

Would you prefer he doesn't carry at all because you don't like his method?

How would you feel if someone else said you shouldn't carry because they don't like your method?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

As a strong proponent of the ability to OC, I do however believe it does harm "the cause" slightly. However, it's not a direct result of OCing, it's more so because people 1. don't see it enough to know it's not a threat, 2. people are ignorant.

SO, if OCing was wide-spread it would be fine I think, but with only people here and there doing it, I think it's more problematic, I'm sorry to say.

Quote Originally Posted by alyehoud View Post
    As a strong proponent of the ability to OC, I do however believe it does harm "the cause" slightly. However, it's not a direct result of OCing, it's more so because people 1. don't see it enough to know it's not a threat, 2. people are ignorant.

SO, if OCing was wide-spread it would be fine I think, but with only people here and there doing it, I think it's more problematic, I'm sorry to say.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    To me OC is often and in many places an unnecessary provocation.

And yes, having incidents can cause legislative actions to limit CC. In a town I live, an OC guy was "taken down" by the local PD. He was at a children's park and a 911 call was made. Even though the guy was lawfully carrying, it was unnecessary to flaunt his right to do so. It didn't serve a purpose except to cause a scene.

Our ability to CC can be threatened by such stunts and limitations can be enacted to reduce our ability to carry if/when we want.

Sounds like a training issue for the PD....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    To me, this is an absolutely ridiculous comment.
    You say he was legally carrying, is OC legal without a permit? If so, perhaps he has no permit, which would make CC illegal for him.

Would you prefer he doesn't carry at all because you don't like his method?

How would you feel if someone else said you shouldn't carry because they don't like your method?
    This may make me a persona-non-grata , but I 100% agree that -- unnecessary or not -- OC is a provocation, and scares the heck out of the average person. OC may turn-off MANY people who would not otherwise be against firearms (or even CC).

These folks will say to themselves, and to others, "This is now getting WAY out of hand; people are now openly carrying loaded guns on the streets -- and around our kids and mothers! This has got to stop, and I'm voting next election for [insert anti-gun politician or law HERE]".

Many of us self-defense (i.e., self-preservation!) people, in general, may not be able to see the forest for the trees on this issue, because "it's our RIGHT, dang gummit!".

Unfortunately, CC is a "right" that can be all too easily taken away by a P'ed-off electorate and their elected representatives...

-Bill

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    This may make me a persona-non-grata , but I 100% agree that -- unnecessary or not -- OC is a provocation, and scares the heck out of the average person. OC may turn-off MANY people who would not otherwise be against firearms (or even CC).

These folks will say to themselves, and to others, "This is now getting WAY out of hand; people are now openly carrying loaded guns on the streets -- and around our kids and mothers! This has got to stop, and I'm voting next election for [insert anti-gun politician or law HERE]".

Many of us self-defense (i.e., self-preservation!) people, in general, may not be able to see the forest for the trees on this issue, because "it's our RIGHT, dang gummit!".

Unfortunately, CC is a "right" that can be all too easily taken away by a P'ed-off electorate and their elected representatives...

-Bill
    So you too, would rather that some don't legally carry because you disagree with their method?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

So which of my rights do I now need to ask permission to use? Oh, sorry, didn't ask if I could type this either. Just move this discussion over to anything you consider a right and see how that would feel.

You can't say that, it will hurt my 1st A right to free speech!

I'm of the opposite opinion. I think the only place CC has made carry more normal is in court and in legislature. For the average Joe on the street CC does not normalize firearms. Because they don't see them. And what they don't see obviously does not exist! All those people don't really carry, they just have the permit "in case they need to carry, right".

So, I'll continue to do my part to let people see that normal folks carry on a daily basis, by OC'ing. Though in NC I fall back to OC is the right and CC is the privilege for this type of discussion.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    So I have stayed out of this discussion because I'm so on the fence about it. On one hand I know it's a right and I'm not going to argue that. On the other hand I don't believe you're ever going to "educate" the people by scaring them. Which is what O.C. does.

I believe that in the climate that we have in this country these days, that it would be all to easy for the anti's to be able to "modify" the general population into believing that any kind of carry is bad. Do I want to see that, No.

I also think that alot of O.C.er's do it for the effect and not because it's their right.

I know one thing for sure and that is. If my carry rights are comprimised by that anti's because of O.C. I'm gonna be pissed.

So you too, would rather that some don't legally carry because you disagree with their method?
    Sorry sigmanluke, but I'm not really sure why it would matter in the least as to whether I agreed or disagreed with anyone's method of carry.

All I am saying is that, historically, the public doesn't wait around "to get use" to anything that they find patently threatened by: they simply pass laws to STOP what they don't like.

And in this case, with OC loaded firearms right in there faces -- and not all OC firearms being carried by clean-cut LEO or Marine looking types either -- then the majority of the public WILL react, and that reaction may not be good for our side (i.e., Banning my FREEDOM -- which is exactly what CCW means to me).

If people can't get Shall Issue CCW passed in their state, then maybe OC is a good way to goad their reps to pass an out-of-sight-out-of-mind carry bill (CCW), but if you are in a Shall Issue state NOW, there is absolutely no good reason to put CCW at risk by openly carrying a firearm.

All of the above is, of course, IMHO.

-Bill

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    but if you are in a Shall Issue state NOW, there is absolutely no good reason to put CCW at risk by openly carrying a firearm. -Bill
    We will have to agree to disagree, I can't see in any way that OC is a risk to CC.
    Thomas Jefferson

NOPE!!!!
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

We will have to agree to disagree, I can't see in any way that OC is a risk to CC.
    Ditto.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links