Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry?

This is a discussion on Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ccw9mm Loved that response.........

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry?

ccw9mm Loved that response......
    Bob
    Bersa 380
    CZ 75B

2. Remove Ads

Here in Michigan, a Marine waiting to get orders to ship out to Iraq, attended a get together in a Ponderosa restaurant, toting his AR-15 because he 'could'. Head over to OpenCarry.org to see the myriad of responses and disclaimers that this Marine did nothing wrong.
    Personally, the open carrying of an AR-15 into a family restaurant knowingly realizing that it would create a furor was the ultimate in irresponsibility. And conduct unbecoming a Marine.
    The incident did nothing to promote OC, in fact the furor did the exact opposite despite the gloating seen on the other board that 'nothing was done'.
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by mel5051 View Post
    Here in Michigan, a Marine waiting to get orders to ship out to Iraq, attended a get together in a Ponderosa restaurant, toting his AR-15 because he 'could'. Head over to OpenCarry.org to see the myriad of responses and disclaimers that this Marine did nothing wrong.
    Personally, the open carrying of an AR-15 into a family restaurant knowingly realizing that it would create a furor was the ultimate in irresponsibility. And conduct unbecoming a Marine.
    The incident did nothing to promote OC, in fact the furor did the exact opposite despite the gloating seen on the other board that 'nothing was done'.
    I think this may be a great example of negative OC'ing, and the harm it can do to our cause.

Sometimes I think that a certain amount of male hormone-induced "macho-ness" may come into play with some of the more patently irresponsible* OC folks. (PLEASE NOTICE: I said "some", not "all", OC folks; so please don't hurt me! )

I use to OC too, but only in rural areas (and NOT in crowded locations, such as malls, stores, or restaurants!), where it is FAR more "accepted" than in urban locales.

-Bill :

* I admit that "irresponsible behavior" can be in the eye of the beholder (but in this case the majority of the electorate would probably feel that this OC was irresponsible...).

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Absolutely causes a negative reaction!
    Really? Because every time I OC, it's either ambivalence or thumbs up. Mostly ambivalence.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Really? Because every time I OC, it's either ambivalence or thumbs up. Mostly ambivalence.
    But SIGguy229, my guess, based on your former living location in fun-filled (NOT!) Kabul province, is that you are either military, ex-military, or a military contractor of some sort? This means that you probably look to civilians like some sort of plainclothes LEO; which might explain the ambivalence towards your OC'ing that you have experienced.

Now, many of the rest of us, who don't quite have the "presence" or looks of a LEO, may get reactions from the public that may be quite different from yours when OC'ing, such as .

-Bill

ADDITION: Errr, I'm observant today; I just noticed you are a "COMBAT ADVISOR", so my observations above are probably correct on your LEO looks and 'tude.

I see no point in OC, it just makes people even more afraid and outspoken against citizens carrying firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    I see no point in OC, it just makes people even more afraid and outspoken against citizens carrying firearms.

because it is the right when the courts talk about the RTKBA CC can be denied altogether as it is considered a privilege
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

VIP Member
    Does OC threaten CC, no... some of the people who OC, fraid so!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by mel5051 View Post
    Ironically, if the USA gets terrorism like some countries, they will later "welcome" the sight of a Marine with his AR-15 or M16 in there.

Why ? We like the military being there, but we just don't like being reminded they do carry weapons and fight wars ? It would never bother me, but I grew up being around the military.

My point, is we need to "uncondition" people's perceptions and that point of view. Just like conceal carry, all the businesses posted signs and had the OMG repsonse. Now, most of them have taken those same signs down realizing it was a total over-reaction.

And I'm one that if we could OC, I would still be conceal carry.

That's what I hear from business owners. Before they declared the new TN state law unconstitutional on carry in restaurants an owner I know said OC was what he was most concerned about and rather than deal with it he would post no firearms. He also told me many of the other retail business owners he associates with are of the same mind as when an OC is spotted (he did say not often), complained about and they ask the person to either cover the weapon or leave they have become argumentative and difficult to deal with. The answer "WE" make easy for the owner/manager is to post against all carry.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Seriously, I would ask him why he is afraid of the gun? The gun isn't going to go off by itself.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Seriously, I would ask him why he is afraid of the gun? The gun isn't going to go off by itself.
    Oh come on..."its not him" its the complaints from other patrons as I stated , and then the person involved becoming obstinate. This person carries himself and that's why he gets my business. Like it or not no man is an island unto himself in the US populace anymore and the armed lifestyle is not the norm.
    NO, 2-3% of the population base is not going to force feed the other 97% a belief or self pronounced norm that is enigmatic to their lifestyle and/or what they think is proper conduct as concerns themselves and family.
    "I" will be thankful for 10 unposted businesses that allow CC VS 1 that allows OC with 9 posted against any day! As our numbers grow the opportunities will increase to present our case...unless we are so busy sticking our finger in everyone's eye today we can't get a respectful hearing if and when we get to 20% of the population base.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Oh come on..."its not him" its the complaints from other patrons as I stated , and then the person involved becoming obstinate. This person carries himself and that's why he gets my business. Like it or not no man is an island unto himself in the US populace anymore and the armed lifestyle is not the norm.
    NO, 2-3% of the population base is not going to force feed the other 97% a belief or self pronounced norm that is enigmatic to their lifestyle and/or what they think is proper conduct as concerns themselves and family.
    "I" will be thankful for 10 unposted businesses that allow CC VS 1 that allows OC with 9 posted against any day! As our numbers grow the opportunities will increase to present our case...unless we are so busy sticking our finger in everyone's eye today we can't get a respectful hearing if and when we get to 20% of the population base.
    Well written. +1

Distinguished Member
    This would make a good poll question, I vote yes., but I think it makes a difference in what state that you live in. People's votes and pressure on there local politicians is what makes and changes laws.

OC used to be legal in city buildings here until a guy named Donald Ortega
    Started showing up at city council meetings W/ a canary yellow shot gun

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links