Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry? - Page 8

Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry?

This is a discussion on Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by monk I wouldn't mind seeing a literacy exam for voting though... I'm not so concerned with individual citizen voters. What I DO ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry?

Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing a literacy exam for voting though...
    I'm not so concerned with individual citizen voters. What I DO want to see is that our representatives read the bills they vote on. I support the "read the bills act" which would require every line of new legislation be read aloud before a majority session of the house before the bill may be voted on.

As for OC and CC. I'm honestly surprised that CC has been allowed in some states before OC! You'd think OC is the more "transparent" and "safe" option. Personally I think OC would do more to deter crime than CC.

Except in very limited situations (which don't seem to apply to what we're talking about), I believe that open carry is bad on so many levels.

Purely from a practical viewpoint, please consider that guns and drugs are the only things that appreciate in value when they're stolen. It has happened on many occasions that gun owners have had their houses broken into and guns stolen because of NRA bumper stickers on their cars. The bumper sticker was a notice informing thieves that guns were waiting to be robbed. Some burglars do their research and will case a residence for months on end before they rob. How is open carry any different than a bumper sticker advertisement to thieving scumbags? If I was going to be involved in a shootout, do i really want my assailant to be informed on what my weapon and it's capabilities are?

If enough guns get stolen and are used by criminals because of open carry, does anyone here believe that there won't be any legislative backlash?

I have seen desperate crackheads attack and rob people for pocket change. We might believe that open carry may deter this type of criminal, but I also believe that it will motivate another kind of criminal to ambush you in a surprise attack when you're not expecting it so that they can get your gun.

Being discrete about your defensive capabilities has a long history that, quite literally, goes back thousands of years. The martial arts experts of the far East--including the ninja and the shaolin monks--considered discretion to be an important component of their martial arts techniques. We find references to discretion in works by Sun Tze, Machiavelli, Miyamoto Musashi, the Nazi tank commander Rommell, in the Bible, and so on.

There are important reasons to be discrete . . . and I don't equate discretion with cowardice.

Thank you for considering my rant.

All my best,

---Kevin

unintended consequences
    That's all. Been lots of the above throughout history.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

yes

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    OC by itself does not, however, I think some of the all or nothing antics do. A lot of CC has had success by flying under the radar. Out of sight out of mind sort of thing.
    Now that the OC movement seems to be growing a bit, you can bet you are going to see more signage and opposition to carry guns in general, simply because it has been brought to the sheeple's attention, or maybe even shoved in their faces.
    All that can be good or bad in the long run, only time will tell.
    I feel the same way, especially here in Texas where there are very few places you can't go.

I want OC to pass but at the same time I somewhat don't. Not really sure how I feel about it yet.

I prefer to conceal, so the BG doesn't "shoot me first"
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    OC by itself does not, however, I think some of the all or nothing antics do. A lot of CC has had success by flying under the radar. Out of sight out of mind sort of thing.
    Now that the OC movement seems to be growing a bit, you can bet you are going to see more signage and opposition to carry guns in general, simply because it has been brought to the sheeple's attention, or maybe even shoved in their faces.
    All that can be good or bad in the long run, only time will tell.
    Have to agree with Sixto on this one. We can OC in Georgia and I have done so, although on a very infrequent basis. I have found that most people don't even notice when I OC. I do try to just go about my business and make sure I do not draw any attention to the fact that I'm carrying. I understand how it could scare the anti's out there who just don't know any better.

I really see both sides of the argument on this one..
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

Do you support RKBA for all? Or just for you?

I am firmly in the camp of the Constitutional Right to Bear Arms which Shall Not Be Infringed.

In my opinion, the question of what method I use to carry my "arms" isn't what's at stake here. It's the infringement question.

Seems to me, whatever the preference for how you would go about it given the freedom to choose shouldn't color your willingness to blanket support the Right which is in question.

The real deal, here, is whether or not we have the stomach to fight for our rights. It seems, most of us here don't, and we would be more than a little willing to remove from others their rights and protections under the law so long as doing so would protect ours.

This kind of thinking is just plain scary.

The question to the group shouldn't be "is OC bad for CC" but "how can cc'ers support gun owners in states where CC is not permitted", "how can we join the fight" "What can we do to help" rather than "what can we do to hinder them so they can't hurt us".

We should also be asking ourselves: "Why don't we have OC available to us as an option (if it isn't)" and "why do we not gather together as a unit to make the point that paying a tax in order to have the right to bear arms is not acceptable" rather than "I'm willing to pay the tax for the 'privilege' even though the 'right' is denied me"

I'm not saying we all need to sound the "call to arms" and rush into battle for the cause. I'm just saying maybe it's time to rethink our thinking on this subject.

Division amongst gun owners on whether or not gun owners should have or exercise the right to bear arms just seems silly.

M-
    A newbie gun owner who given the choice would prefer to wear concealed, but thinks having the option of open carry should not be denied her.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

I think the real issue is that most states don't actually address OC in terms of legality. Now, there are individuals who are seizing upon the fact that OC is not prohibited per se in a legal sense. I just feel like they are forcing an issue that has not been addressed.

My state, SC, does not have a law(I believe) that prohibits OC specifically. However, I can guarantee you that I would be in jail if I OC. I do know that one has to have a permit/license to OC(for LEO's and armed security).
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Sponsored Links