Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry?

This is a discussion on Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in CA and a group of open carry folks are upsetting a lot of folks not used to seeing it on the street. ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Open Carry Threaten Concealed Carry?

I live in CA and a group of open carry folks are upsetting a lot of folks not used to seeing it on the street. With this in mind I noticed a new "No Weapons Allowed" sign at a medical facility I frequent.

I started thinking that a natural reaction to businesses that now have upset customers would be to put up such a sign. Before it was a don't ask don't tell thing.

My Beck sense tells me it is a conspiracy by the ban guns movement to open carry to force the reaction. My "me" sense is says it is a group of advocates that are creating a stir with unintended consequences.

Anybody else see this happening?

no.

VIP Member
    My thought(s) exactly.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

They are definitely not anti. Some of those guys are regulars on the OCDO board. In most Constitutionally minded states OC is the right and CC is the privilege. We have NC Supreme Court rulings establishing this. I guess it boils down to what you thing "right" and "bear arms" means. Seems that they want to be able to do what others can do per the Constitution of the country and state.

BTW, what they are doing is legal.

If CA had reasonable firearms laws maybe this would be less of an issue. There are parts of CA where you simply cannot get a CC permit. And from what I hear some areas don't recognize them from county to county, is this correct?

No.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Unloaded open carry [UOC] is apparently the only legal form of OC in California, with no permit required.

From what I see at OCDO, I think the UOCers are members of one faction of pro-OC and not covert instigators from the Brady group. They are now in conflict with another pro-OC faction that counsels stopping UOC activity until the anticipated post-McDonald round of lawsuits have a chance to work.

Administrator
    OC by itself does not, however, I think some of the all or nothing antics do. A lot of CC has had success by flying under the radar. Out of sight out of mind sort of thing.
    Now that the OC movement seems to be growing a bit, you can bet you are going to see more signage and opposition to carry guns in general, simply because it has been brought to the sheeple's attention, or maybe even shoved in their faces.
    All that can be good or bad in the long run, only time will tell.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I believe open carry does threaton CC. The sheep are not used to seeing guns. Signs will be their answer.

Keep it unseen and they won't know it's there.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I would much prefer to OC than CC. I'd feel a lot better knowing I didn't have to "dig" my firearm out. Unfortunately, FL doesn't allow OC.

I can see where a surge in OC could cause a backlash against "all" carry, but then once the public became accustomed to seeing firearms, I think the perceived fear would go away for the most part. The will always be those who are terrified of firearms, just as there are those who are terrified of snakes, yet have never seen one in the wild.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

OldLincoln, some CA. folks think that the "open carry" movement right now MAY be detrimental to any "shall issue" or other CC legislation until SCOTUS makes a decision on "incorporation". It's a "timing issue" and nothing against OCing. From the folks I talk to, at least gun supporters, aren't against OCing, but prefer SCOTUS make their decision first. (I can only speak for my local area and not any other areas).

Kyle
    Be responsible for your own actions.
    ---
    http://www.calguns.net/

dont think it will hurt the cause as long as they doing the right thing and not acting like a$$$ they will see them as everyday joes and as long as you have bad cops making comments like the one in palo alto might even help out more.
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

Short and to the point, no!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

when they started issuing out cc permits you saw lots of signs being posted but the eventually came down
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

It hurts CC. Eventually, you'll start hearing why do you want to CC when you can OC? That was one arguement used in Marquette County, Michigan prior to shall issue.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I vote no.

Personally I feel that it is reprhensible that we consider forcing someone to pay for training, pay a tax to the State, and obtain the State's permission to do something as exercising a right.

If we applied the same standards to voting, IE: you had to pay for a literacy exam, pass that exam, and pay the State for a license to vote, would that be considered as people possessing the right to vote?

Aside from any other arguments about open carry, it is an expression for others to see that it is normal for people in America to be able to exercise our true right to self protection.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links