CC in a post office?

This is a discussion on CC in a post office? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by archer51 Doesn't matter what state law says. Post offices are considered Federal property and are off limits for carry, either concealed or ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: CC in a post office?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Doesn't matter what state law says. Post offices are considered Federal property and are off limits for carry, either concealed or open.

++++++1000000000000000000000000000000

Should've been discussed in your class as well...
    "I would rather be Judged by 12, Than to be Carried by 6"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    This question came up in a class my wife was taking recently. My wife said someone asked about the property/parking lot. The Leo in the class told the class that they could store in the glove compartment while inside the PO. The person asking quoted the law but he still stood on his anwser. I'm still not fully convenced about this.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Can you CC in a post office if you have a CCW permit?
    No.

Carrying in a Post Office or any other Federal building is a Federal offense and a good way to spend time in a federal slam.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Can you CC in a post office if you have a CCW permit?
    Nope. No carry in federal buildings. The federalis are afraid of us.
    Last edited by Corwin; February 10th, 2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Ok - but what if one has a CCW badge or sash ?

Thanks,

SDS

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    May I have some?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Technically most drop boxes and drive up windows are on PO property.

See 39 CFR 232.1 which clearly prohibits carrying firearms on all PO property and does not require them to be posted to be enforced.

Folk have been prosecuted for firearms in the parking lot.
    Good point. There are still a few boxes on the streets though. But the feds may claim sovereignty over a 30ft radius from the box I just turn the flag up on my mailbox and use web postage to avoid the experience.

i took a CHL class this weekend in texas and asked the question. i knew the answer but wanted his view. my question was mainly because our post office is like 2 buildings in one. you go thru one set of doors and once you're inside you go to the right to get to the P.O. Boxes or you go left and then thru ANOTHER set of doors to go into the "post office area". the 2 areas are seperated by their on set of doors but are still in the same building. on sundays i'll go get the mail out of the p.o box on our way to church and the post office area will be CLOSED on that day. i will disarm before going in there but it is a hassle to do so when the post office IS NOT even open. his answer was yes you have to disarm but if you don't it has to be a federal officer that arrest you, the local LEO's can't. he said that the LEO's can detain you at the post office until a federal officer comes to get you but it is highly unlikely that a federal officer will drive way out to the small town i live in to get me. well i'm not going to be the test subject on this one so i will continue to disarm before i go into get the mail, which is a hugh hassle because the post office is CLOSED on sundays.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydivesnake View Post
    Ok - but what if one has a CCW badge or sash ?

Thanks,

SDS

Nope, still not legal unless you are legal.

I'm a federally licensed fireman's dealer.

USPS has been aggressively trying to gain my business and has been able to make their rates less than FedEx or UPS.

I Carry boxed handguns and or long guns into USPS on a regular basis. When I send, I only need to fill out a simple one page form stating that I am a firearms dealer and transferring a handgun. I have attached a copy of the form.

Still, I do not walk into USPS or any other government facility while carrying. That is strictly illegal.
    Attached Files
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Any volunteers to be the Post Office Carry "test Case"?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    There you have it, the no's win by a large margin.

Don't forget the popcorn for us folks on the lower levels.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

GM
    NO and NO again!!! Post Offices are forbidden territories . It is forbidden to carry in any Federal places, and that includes Post Offices, not matters the state or the planet you live on!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    The literal and correct answer to the question as phrased is "yes" because it's physically possible. If the question had been "Is carrying in the PO a violation of federal law?" the answer would also be "yes". Since carry in federal buildings is illegal, of course I agree with every previous post in the thread.

I don't like to patronize USPS facilities anyway, even if carry there were legal, because I don't like to be 21st in line and looking at 8 customer service windows with 2 USPS employees manning them. I use a PostNet store that is much closer than the PO and never wait in line.

I saw a report of a postal employee so prosecuted, mainly because magazines (metal, not paper) were found inside at his workstation. No doubt somewhere, somehow, a customer has also been caught in this vise.

By the way, Dave, thanks for not appending an "s" to the already-plural "folk"! Very refreshing.
    would you feel better about your tax dollars if yo walked in and there were 8 postal employees standing at the desks with nothing to do and no line?...and feel free to be as literal as you need to....

Lightbulb

Whoever want to be the "test case", please raise your hand....

Anyone?

Anyone?

Buehler???

Post offices are sooooo last century. I haven't stepped foot in one in over a decade. I, too, don't want the aggravating and slow customer "service". Why bother?

When I ship, I use a local Pack N' Ship-type place where I can go in armed and the friendly guy who owns the store knows me and my family. I can get anything I need done quicker and with no silly federal laws that demand I be unarmed to simply mail a darn package. If they aren't an arm of the federal gooberment, how come they can make it illegal to carry because it's federal property?

The reason is because the federal government bought the building and the land it sits on. So even if they don't take taxpayer money now, the entire postal infrastructure was built and paid for by taxpayers.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links