CC in a post office?

This is a discussion on CC in a post office? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Skydivesnake Ok - but what if one has a CCW badge or sash ? Thanks, SDS Are you joking? What right should ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CC in a post office?

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydivesnake View Post
    Ok - but what if one has a CCW badge or sash ?

Thanks,

SDS

Are you joking? What right should a CCW badge or sash give you so you can carry in a Federal facility?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

2. Remove Ads

Montana says Federal building PO and Banks and NO.

Even the parking lot is federal property,legally it's off limits,just like the VA clinic,I park my vehicle in an adjoining lot since the VA parking lot has a sign no guns on federal property
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This is the worst! Our nearby GAS STATION (Chevron) just got in a little mini post office. The late night mini-mart is one of the #1 places I WOULD want to be carrying...I wonder if we can carry inside once the post office closes at 6...

Anyone know? And does the Chevron parking lot count as federal?
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    This is the worst! Our nearby GAS STATION (Chevron) just got in a little mini post office. The late night mini-mart is one of the #1 places I WOULD want to be carrying...I wonder if we can carry inside once the post office closes at 6...

Anyone know? And does the Chevron parking lot count as federal?
    Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

(a) Applicability. This section applies to all real property under the charge and control of the Postal Service, to all tenant agencies, and to all persons entering in or on such property.
    Only the part BEHIND the post office counter is under the charge and control of the Postal Service. The rest of the store/gas station and the parking lot are under the charge and control of the private owner of that property and not included in the post office restriction. You can even do business with the postal clerk while you are armed, so long as you remain in front of the counter.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    would you feel better about your tax dollars if yo walked in and there were 8 postal employees standing at the desks with nothing to do and no line?...and feel free to be as literal as you need to....
    Just to play devil's advocate...
    The USPS does not receive any tax dollars. It is completely funded by it's own revenue. Granted, it is a close call as to whether or not there have been any losses posted in the last few years.

By the way, NO CARRY IN THE PO!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Thanks, Navy!
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Unhappy

OK, suppose the "post office" is a postal substation located in the back room of a pharmacy. We have at least two of them located in our town. If it is legal to concealed carry in the pharmacy, a private business, do you become illegal when you walk up to the postal window to buy a stamp?

Now I see my answer in the post above about the Chevron station.

drw
    Really, three pages?

According to the postal service regulation, the penalties for having a firearm at the post office are $50 and 30 days imprisonment, less than for inattentive driving.

Be careful not to smoke, drink a beer, spit, drop a leaflet, or display an anti-obama bumper sticker while on the property. Apparently, there are $50/30-day penalties for those offenses also.

The regulation states that you can't be searched unless you have first been arrested. So, a reasonable person concerned about defense of their family and self defense might weigh the risks and decide that disarming to enter a post office is rather foolish. Especially since gun toting criminals in wheel chairs have been known to take hostages in post offices. As said on another forum, "I don't do hostage."

Note that briefcases, purses, packages, etc. can be searched even if you haven't been arrested. So don't carry the firearm in your purse.

The regulation also states that your vehicle can be searched only if it is in a restricted non-public area (unless you have been arrested). Thus, a reasonable person who is unable to keep his weapon concealed could just leave it in the glove box of the car. Unless, of course, you walked to the post office because you were worried about being cited for inattentive driving.

Without regard to whether or not 18 U.S.C. 930 applies to post offices, it specifically doesn't apply at any federal building that doesn't have a notice of the regulation posted at each public entrance. I've never seen it at the entrance to the post office.

(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post

I'm a federally licensed fireman's dealer.
    On average, how many firemans do you sell each year?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfleming View Post
    Without regard to whether or not 18 U.S.C. 930 applies to post offices, it specifically doesn't apply at any federal building that doesn't have a notice of the regulation posted at each public entrance. I've never seen it at the entrance to the post office.
    Once again, it is not 18 U.S.C. 930 w/ it's notice of the regulation posted at each public entrance that prohibits carry in POs, it is 39 CFR 232.1 that clearly prohibits carrying firearms in POs.
    Last edited by DaveH; February 13th, 2010 at 01:43 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Post offices are sooooo last century. I haven't stepped foot in one in over a decade. I, too, don't want the aggravating and slow customer "service". Why bother?

When I ship, I use a local Pack N' Ship-type place where I can go in armed and the friendly guy who owns the store knows me and my family. I can get anything I need done quicker and with no silly federal laws that demand I be unarmed to simply mail a darn package. . . . .
    Like Alan Jackson sings "Where I come from". . . I live in rural Arkansas, in a town of less than a 1000 people and I have both my personal mail and my businesses mail delivered to PO boxes, yes MadMax you heard me right, they are still being used, "sooo last century" I know...love that! . Oh, by the way the postmaster also happens to be friendly and quick too! Heck, I would have to drive 30+ miles to just see a "Pack-N-Ship." lol....Back to my point... I carry VERY concealed & securely and feel very comfortable taking "the perceived risk" of walking inside the post office to collect my mail out of my 2 PO boxes, as I have done most every single day for many decades now. I assure you that most if not all local CC holders, of which there are many, do the exact same thing. It is also important to note that the vast majority of local vehicles have weapons in them too (large and small) and if my memory serves me right I think the law "prohibits" weapons in the "federal parking lots" too. . . . We all, each and everyday break some kind of law one way or another even if it's just the speed limit . . . .itís all a matter of your personal choices and comfort level. I also carry in stores too, even though state law prohibits it because the store has the premises properly posted as a no gun zone. I do this because I donít want to leave the store unarmed late at night with a cart full of goods . . . again it is all about your personal comfort level. I choose not to have a silly state law be the cause of myself or God for bid my family being massacred in a store, parking lot or restaurant because the law says I must leave my weapon in my car. . . again itís all about choices and comfort levels.

Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp explains about self defense choices and comfort levels
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

I have a friend that tells me it's a Federal felony with or without a CCW.

in my state you cannot carry in a Post office or any federal buildings. Ask your sheriff in yoru state to make sure cuz it varies form state to state but i am pretty sure that goes for all 50 states.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links